Customs: Painting question

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by gambit020480, Jul 13, 2011.

1. gambit020480

gambit020480 Banned

Ebay:
    I have a problem with my flat black paint. I bought the little testor jars and I still have half a jar left. But, for whatever reason, the remaining paint seemed to have congealed and it is very hard to paint with. I didn't leave the lid off overnight, but when I am painting I leave the active paint open to dip my brush in. Is there a way to reliquify the paint?

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Is it acrylic or enamel?

3. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I've had this happen with an older jar of Testors Acrylic......I just added some Future to it, stirred it well with the end of an old paint brush, then close it and shook it some more. It brought the jar back to life (and before that, you could literally turn it upside down while open and it wouldn't pour out). It does seem to dry up here and there, but adding a bit of Future to it helped thin it and give it something to mix with again.

Not sure if this will work in your case though.

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I would stir in a few drops of water if it's an acrylic. Future is also good. I've used that for some of my paints, but it could alo be that the paint is too old.

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I never paint straight from the bottle. I use little paint dishes, adding in some thinner with the paint I put it. Think I may start using Future instead now though.

I keep the bottles open as little as possible. Even if you don't leave them open overnight or anything- 10 minutes here, half an hour there, adds up.

6. gambit020480

gambit020480 Banned

Ebay:
    It is acrylic. The bottle is only a few weeks old. I tried mixing in some water and it helped, but not that much. I think in this case being preventive might be the key. As the other poster said, painting from the bottle is not good for the paint. Makes sense. I wil snag some of those little ketchup things you put ketchup in at MCdonalds and use them. Thanks guys!!