Customs: Painting procedure

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Lonewolf, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Lonewolf

Lonewolf Well-Known Member

Greetings,

I'd like to paint my Armada Nemesis Prime's chest. I think that that brown is just aweful.

What king of paint sould I use ? Must I use sand paper on the piece before painting it ?

Thanks

2. Lonewolf

Lonewolf Well-Known Member

Doesn't anybody know ?

3. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    personally i like to use a buffing emeryboard like chics use on theyre nails. i do that because the molded coat doesent hold paint well. then a couple of thin coats of acrylic. then a coat of gloss. i got a testors gold pen from walmart that looks almost bronze when done. it might look cool on him.

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Check the top of Radicon's kitbash forum. Read the "Exhaustive Kitbasher's Thread." That might help. :D 

5. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

So I read the kitbasher's thread, and the following problem wasn't in there.

I'm debating whether to pick up BT* Alert and try a (fairly easy) Prowl repaint. I've never kitbashed before, but that's not the real problem. I don't have a real workspace; all I have is an apartment that's almost all carpet. That means no spray paint, and normal paint is questionable.

From the photos, I'm guessing I'd need to completely strip/repaint the head, strip the red from the shoulders, possibly add black or white detailing in certain spots, and remove and/or paint over the Japanese characters on the doors so I can throw on English decals.

What would be the easiest/least potentially damaging to rental property method to pull this off?

-XCN-

6. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Use rubbing alcohol and a paper towel to remove the door lettering. You'll have to paint over any lettering on the black paint. On the head, I'd just paint over the existing paint. Get the testors acrylic paint. Your best bet would be to pick a starter kit. I'd get one for aircraft or military models. Get some decent brushes from the crafts section, and pick up a bottle of Future floor polish.

The flat finish paints in the starter box I suggested will go on a lot more smoothly, than the gloss paints, will. Once everything is painted to suit you, you can brush on the Future. It's a nice hard acrylic gloss coat. It dries harder than model paint, and levels itself very well, for a smooth finish.

You might be able to get away with gloss paints on the head, if you want to skip clear coating. For some reason, gloss paints like to pick up brush marks more easily than flat paints.

If you use water slide, or dry transfer decals, you'll want to put clear coat over those, too. Otherwise, they'll be really fragile.