Painting Models

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by GogDog, Jun 25, 2007.

1. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I just got an Evangelion model of Zeruel in today, and then I realise that I had to paint it. :lol  ( The seller wasn't sure, it was sealed and in Japanese...)

Any suggestions? I haven't done anything like this since I was like 11. I got some acrylic paint. The model is just snap-fit plastic. I did a small area, and it's obvious that it will take multiple coats as the acryllic paint is pretty thin.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

2. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Could someone move this to the Customs forum? I'm getting no love here.

3. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have no idea what a Zeruel is but I have only painted or rather spray paint a few Gundam kits...and all I do is:

i) buy thos hobby kit spray cans;

ii) spray the kit at a distance;

iii) leave the kit a few hours to dry;

iv) assemble the kit when it dries;

v) spray the kit with top coat to protect the kit. There are 2 types of top colour - gloss and non-gloss.

Sorry, not much help as I'm pretty amaturish! LOL! Below are the Gundams I've "painted"...maybe folks who are more experienced can help ya?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I could give this thread love and bump, but no help on the subject matter.
    LigerPrime, very nice paint job. I really need those stands, too...can you use them for TFs?

5. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

get some spray primer and and spray first if you're doing an entire part or something you can mask with tape, it'll make it alot easier when using the acrylics (which I recommend you stick with). Otherwise, if it's a small area you could always use something like a light flat grey acrylic to prime, or buy some brush on primer, and then paint over that. It's just really hard to get good coverage of light colors over dark plastic without a light primer first.

6. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry man, I won't know...what type and size of TF figures are you thinking about? It could be possible for TFs the size of movie Bumblebee and Starscream. The stands provide the buyer with a screw for the collector too but of course, you have to drill the hole yourself! :D