Customs: painting help

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by deceptihunter, Dec 26, 2009.

1. deceptihunter

deceptihunter sssssmmmmokin!

hi everyone. I have a quick question for anyone who does customs. when painting, how many of you use sealer on your models? I'm new to doing customs and after my paint dries, some time later, I find my paint rubbing off. Anybody know how to fix this?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2009
  2. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

First off, this wants to go to the Radicons section.

But to answer your question, yes, most of us do use a type of sealer after we're done painting. I personally use Tamiya Clear as a topcoat, I don't transform my figures too much, so it does fine. Frankly, any brand of topcoat will work. But a good few people swear by Future Floor Finish. I haven't used it myself yet, but I may try it out in the near future (no pun intended).

3. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I don't.

Probably should though.

4. FartRipper67

FartRipper67 Well-Known Member

What kind of paint are you using?

A lot of paint adherence problems can be helped by washing the figure with soap and water beforehand, to rid of all the mold residue and finger oil that builds up over time. I personally find it helps some to lightly sand (to remove the glossy sheen) the areas you are going to be painting with high grit (800+) sandpaper before the washing. I find paint likes to stick to areas with some texture to them, rather than glossy smooth surfaces.

But, to answer your question, personally it depends on the area of the figure whether I seal or not. If I paint a joint, alt mode piece, or any other part that gets handled and or moved a lot I will put a couple clear coats on it, but otherwise I just leave it.

Hope I helped in some way, shape, or form. :) 

5. deceptihunter

deceptihunter sssssmmmmokin!

I use testors model paint. I find that the aluminum/steel paint will sometimes rub off. When I paint an area that is rubber, the paint will remain sticky and will rub off if touched. Is there a reason for this and what kind of clear coat would be recommended for the type of paint I use or does it matter.

6. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    I'm a newbie radicon as well. I knew I wanted to get the Vallejo acrylic game colour paint ; which is said to be very good, but still a bit prone to wear.

So, I knew I had to start with a spraycan primer (black) - Primer will also help with softplastic/rubber parts like jet nosecones. I still see a lot of customs being done without primer...which is imo, not a good idea. Without the primer, your paints will either/and not dry/chip off easily.

When the primer is done & cured, then 2 coats of paint (not too thick). It was advised to seal it all ; and so I did, with Vallejo's own semi matte varnish.

7. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    myself i do not but i barely TF my customs, if i sell one on ebay i try to make sure before i sell it the paint does not rub, however the sprays i use are very durable!