Customs: Painting Help

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by elgoodo, Aug 15, 2007.

1. elgoodo

elgoodo Well-Known Member

here's the situation...like a lot of people I've decided to repaint an extra classics Starscream into thundercracker. So far everything's gone well except for one thing...the nose cone.

I couldn't find black dye (apparently not a common thing where I'm from) so I decided to spray paint it black. But the paint doesn't seem to completely dry.

How do I remedy this? Chaos Convoy suggested I use acrylic paint...can I just paint over the spray paint with acrylic? or do I have to remove the spray paint first? if what do I use to remove the spray paint?

oh and hope you don't mind one more question...i used acrylic to paint the red/white stripes on the wings(painted with blue spray paint)...if I'm not totally happy with the result..is there any way I can "do this over"? can I still remove the acrylic paint? I don't mind respraying the wings blue if that has to be removed as well..

hope that's possible!

2. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    Take the paint off the nosecone and paint it with some acrylic paint. Any enamel or spraypaint won't dry on that kind of plastic.

3. Chaos Convoy

News Credits:
    Take the paint off the nosecone and paint it with some acrylic paint. Any enamel or spraypaint won't dry on that kind of plastic.

4. elgoodo

ok thanks :)  but how do I remove the spray paint? any safe way?

also if anyone can help....i'm QUITE happy with the stripes i painted on the wings and tailfins....I used spray paint to paint the wings and fins (blue) and then used acrylic paint to paint the white and red stripes....is there a safe way to remove the red and white as well?

will tamiya laquer thinner do? or will that just eat up the plastic?

5. elgoodo

ok thanks :)  but how do I remove the spray paint? any safe way?

also if anyone can help....i'm QUITE happy with the stripes i painted on the wings and tailfins....I used spray paint to paint the wings and fins (blue) and then used acrylic paint to paint the white and red stripes....is there a safe way to remove the red and white as well?

will tamiya laquer thinner do? or will that just eat up the plastic?

6. Chaos Convoy

News Credits:
    Lacquer thinner will melt the plastic, yeah. I dunno what'll take off spraypaint, as I've never had to do it before.

I'd look through this thread: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=87627

If you have any questions, it's best to look in there from now on. Pretty much everything you'd wanna know is in there.

7. Chaos Convoy

News Credits:
    Lacquer thinner will melt the plastic, yeah. I dunno what'll take off spraypaint, as I've never had to do it before.

I'd look through this thread: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=87627

If you have any questions, it's best to look in there from now on. Pretty much everything you'd wanna know is in there.

8. elgoodo

Pls help :) 

9. elgoodo

Pls help :)