Customs: painting help - blending colours how to?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by nellie131, Mar 25, 2011.

1. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    hey guys a quick question but will prob require a long answer - basically back when guys like encline did a MP grimlock the sword he did was super cool with a "glowing" effect.

Portfolio

you can see the pics of what i mean in the portfolio so i was wanting to know how these effects are done! any help is appreciated! oh and i do have an airbrush set up if thats how its done! :thumbs2: 

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Memory serves, Encline does indeed use an airbrush.

But you may be interested in this tutorial I found ages ago on the Impact! Miniatures board.

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think that's a great tutorial, Ramrider!

Also, I did just a little bit of blending on one of my last projects, Alternators Autobot-X: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radic...ts-what-you-turned-me-into-robot-monster.html

If you're wanting to do this with painting with a brush, simply paint the desired colors to be blended into each other in the blending area while they are still wet. I'd also recommend having a brush that is completely dry to do some blending to smooth the blend out. This will even the blend.

My process is not to start out with the midtone, but to finish out with it. The mixing of the colors will create the midtone and the gradation into it.