Customs: Painting eyes.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Ezilla82, May 19, 2009.

1. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

I know it sounds crazy but I just acquired Universe legends Cosmos and his eyes are not painted good enough and that they are tiny as hell so I need some sort of advice of what materials to fix the problem? So please help. Thanks.

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I use a toothpick

3. Ezilla82

I was thinking the same thing. LOL Anyways do you use enamels or acrylics?

4. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    We have a winner! I do the same. If the area or spot(s) are too small, use a sharp (double-tipped) toothpick and dip the very tip end into some paint and apply it carefully. It works perfectly. If I ever happen to get a tiny drop out of the area I was painting, I take my hobby knife and lightly scrape it of. Good luck with it, Ezilla (just do it slowly and carefully, bro).

I use acrylic, but you can use either.

5. Ezilla82

Cool. Can an x-acto knife work or is that a hobby knife. Anyways thanks guys.

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    it is a hobby knife. sometimes I've had to shave my toothpicks down to a point so small I can barely see it to paint areas I want to get into. and yeah, it won't really matter what type of paint you use, just go with the color you want. anymore, I do it in two layers. first is gold metal flake. the second is the eye color I want done in clear. :)  gives them that MP treatment.

7. Ezilla82

Geez I should've known. Well thats a great idea I might do that and take it slow and easy so that I don't screw up on it.

8. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    cool technique redline.

I have my "eye brush" which is VERY small and short bristles. whenever doing an area like that, I always have the "band aid" brush nearby; a very clean brush ready to clean up anything that goes where it's not supposed to.

[​IMG]

9. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    I also use small brushes like that, Mike--but there are some areas (depending on the custom) that need something even sharper and smaller, which is where the toothpicks come in handy. The brushes do work fine for most customs though--just not always for those extremely small/tight areas.

10. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Really? I've tried the toothpick technique and don't have much luck i guess....
    many of my brushes have a much finer tip than a toothpick, and they can hold paint in their bristles. I think the longer handle on a brush is easier to hold/control over a small toothpick. The one I typically use is 20/0 hehe

11. Ezilla82

Mike can you find those in hobby stores? Mike and hxcpunk don't argue about this, either way a toothpick or the "eye brush" I'll take my time and be careful.

12. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    lol--not arguing, bro. I think both Mike and I are just sharing some ideas that work for us both. Everyone uses different techniques and tools, so it's all good.

Good luck with your eye painting, E. Let us know how it goes, man.

13. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    yeah, I usually brush shop at AC moore, which is similar to Michaels...they seem to have many out here on the east coats, not sure about Nebraska.

Reason why, is AC moore typically has all brushes at 50% off (though I've been there and they are sometimes full price, which is stupid if they are 50% the day before and will be again) they usually run about $5.00 and then 50% off that....

14. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    A friend of mine told me how his brother would use his dog's hair to paint tiny words. Just pluck one hair off the dog.

15. Ezilla82

I see well its cool and thanks man. I'll let you know how it goes.

We have Hobby Lobby, so I might something there if not order it online from some other hobby store.

Solrac333- Wow thats interesting, but hey we got different techniques to paint things and thats cool with me.

16. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I have cat whiskers. One day I want to use it to paint something really tiny.

17. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I take one of my older thin detail brushes and take out most of the hairs, down to only 4 or 5. Razor thin, man! :thumb 

18. Ezilla82

Thats very cool.

Hey whatever floats your boat. Don't have a problem with it.

19. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Dude, I hit AC Moore for a lot of good stuff not long ago (down in Florida). They had those crazy sales and certain days where things were a huge percentage off. I loaded up on everything from paints and a testors paint holder, hobby knives, a couple of detail brushes, and some putty tools/clay tools. Everything was around what you said, 50% off. They have a pretty large selection of stuff and you can find some cool kitbashing/painting stuff, as well as 2-D art supplies. Hobby Lobby has a nice selection also, just not the sale prices that AC Moore always seems to have. I recently hit up the local Hobby Town USA here in Georgia and picked up some model kits for a few TF bashes, as well as paints and some supplies (they had TONS of styrene in any shape you could imagine--from sheet to square and triangle--and grooved sheets also). So if you have one of those around, I suggest checking it out.

20. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    What's also awesome about AC Moore is your receipt is a coupon, sometimes 20, 30 or 50% off everything (you specifically) buy on a certain date...I got one also was buy 1 get 1 free any item under $50