Customs: Painting ball joints?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ScoobyGoo, Jan 15, 2011.

1. ScoobyGoo

ScoobyGoo Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what methods people generally use to apply/protect paint apps where ball joints that are visible in bot mode.

Do people do any preperation to the joint to loosen it, so that paint tightens it with out much chipping? Or is it a case of sealing the paint really well?

Luckily the customs I've done so far have all had the exposed parts of the figure well hidden, but as I do more bashing I can see that this may become an issue, figured some one out there must have a fool proof method of ensuring the ball remains chip free.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

A layer of paint will make the joint even tighter, so to accommodate this it may be advisable to sand down the ball joint a bit. This will help protect the paint and allow the joint to move freely. Also its best to allow the paint to cure fully before reassembley, so that its more durable. Take care to not overdo it, as paint layers aren't that thick.

More seasoned customizers may have better tips than this.

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Dye. Either that, or only paint the post. NEVER paint the ball. NEVER sand the ball.

4. ScoobyGoo

Yeah I thought it would destroy the joint sanding the joint, unfortunately the project I'm working on needs the ball to be white so dye is out of the question.

5. dsn1014

Bah, never say never, its case by case :p 
    I did a quick search and I found some threads that suggest using clear nail polish or super glue to protect the paint and tighten the joint. Though I've no idea if this will react with the paint itself.
    As its white as well, are you spraying? A smooth, thin finish will result in less friction between parts, as opposed to using a brush.

6. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I've painted the ball joints with light coats and I've also sprayed them with a primer (Krylon Ultra Flat Camo Black). Once they dry and have ample time to set, you should be able to snap 'em back on and have them work without removing the paint. You an also do a thin coat of Future over it once it's dry to help protect it. This might cause a much tighter joint though, so I'd take it on a case-by-case basis.

7. ScoobyGoo

Yeah I'm spraying the white, suppose I'll spray thin and then try that nail polish trick

8. ScoobyGoo

Cheers man, unfortunately Future is in short supply in the shops in th UK, shall have to investigate online ordering some.

9. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

If you're ordering from UK suppliers, it's Klear you're looking for. I got mine from Amazon a couple of years back.

10. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

There's a reason why this method doesn't work. There's only two possible outcomes: A) you apply everything, and get a super tight joint, or B) you sand the ball first and then get a sorta okay joint.

Now, the second one sounds alright, until you think about the first part: Sanding the ball. How are you going to sand it to ensure it is completely spherical afterwards?

11. dsn1014

You're absolutley right really, I'd prefer to admit I was wrong than ruin someones potential custom, there's a time for sanding and this isn't it. I'm learning as I go.

The Klear option sounds the best solution. From what I've read, its pretty cheap and a bottle lasts ages.

12. ScoobyGoo

13. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I believe that's what it's called over there. You may want to wait for someone to answer who knows a bit more (I only know what it's called here in the US).

Here's a link that is a must for "Future" users. It mentions the exact type you posted a link to in the second large paragraph and it sounds like the same thing.

The Complete Future

Good luck and I hope you find what you're after, man. It is WELL worth the money and seems to last quite a while (I've had a bottle for about a year or year and a half now and I've only used just a small amount from it.

As for sanding a ball joint, most won't, but I've done it with no issues. I used a very fine grit sandpaper (a small sheet that Testors makes) and wrapped it around the ball, leaving only the bottom (around the post) open a bit. Once the ball was covered by the sheet of fine grit sandpaper, I made a light circular motion a few times and tested the ball joint out by snapping it all back together. If it still wasn't where I wanted it, I sanded again and kept it up until it was just right. It can work, but it's one of those things you need to be damn careful with or you can sand too much. But it can be done. :)