Customs: Painting a Classics tank Megatron: Color Suggestions

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Evan Goldsborough, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

All right, I've decided to get myself the Prime VS Megatron Classics 2-pak. However, I'm really disliking the coloration of Megatron. I realize the toy is a G2 homage, but the green is just too garish for my tastes.

So, this is what I ask: I'm an absolute ameteur at this kind of thing, so I'd like you to reccomend me some paints to give Megs a more G1-ish color scheme. Preferalby some you could easily find at a Wal-Mart. Also, preferably some that won't cause hairs and dust to stick to the figure once dry. I had this problem with some of my paints when I tried to give my MSIA RX-78 Gundam a new color scheme.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    How about silver for the main body, black for the legs and stuff, and red for some detailing. That should give you a nice G1 color scheme. If it was me, I would use a nice dark green camo patturn on it. I can't wait to see it when it's done. Peace out.

3. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

Truthfully, I was hoping for some specific types and brands more than I was hoping for colors...

4. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    OMG!!! You have BANANAPHONE in your sig!!! That is like the most awesomely addictive internet thing ever created!!!!

5. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Try looking in the automotive area for spraypaints,look for Krylon.

The reason the paint is *sticky* is because it's either too thick or not thinned correctly.

While you're at it pick up a can of Primer spraypaint,really helps to hold your paints to the surface.

6. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

You could try Satin White by Krylon Fusion found in the Hardware department at Walmart. That might work.

I would highly reccomend using Tamiya's Insignia White (AS-20) though. You can get it at a Hobby Store. Other paint companies also have a version of Insignia White. It's nearly the exact same color that Hasbro painted Classics Megatron (The whitish grey parts) in.

7. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

Will any old spray paint Primer do? Even that found in the auto section? Isn't that strictly for metal, though?

8. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Well, your title says Color Suggestions, so I was suggesting some colors. I know testors is a great brand that has been used many times for this kind of stuff. Peace out.

9. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    German Grey for the base color

10. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Not sure about othre brands but I've used Krylon and Do It Best Premium enamel fast dry paints and primers.

They all work,you just need to be sure you're getting the fast drying kind,in warm weather it'll be dry to touch in about 20 secs.