Customs: Paint washes?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by MushroomPrime, Jul 13, 2009.

1. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    How do you do paint washes?

2. maninthebox94

maninthebox94 Banned

Um, you mean removing paint? Rubbing alcohol, take a cloth of some sort, put some rubbing alcohol on it, and rub away the paint, you can use other materials like que-tips and things for other areas, also depends on how much preasure you can apply on to what it is.

main point, rubbing alcohol if thats what you mean.

3. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
  4. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Depends on what you're using. I just sprayed my leader prime with testors metalisers, which are laqures, took some tamiya paint thinned with rubbing alcohol, and I accidently began takings my base coat off, which actually turned out ok because it gave prime a bit of a weathered look too. If I do another though, ill stick with the metalisers, but I'm going to use a mildly thinned down testors acrylic that won't rub the base coat away, lol.

5. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:

I thought Testors Metalizers were prethinned enamels, for airbrushes, no?

6. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

thanks i have been wanting to try this method sense i learned about it at my hobby club.

as far as the subject at hand my recommendation would be to buy a bottle of citadel wash and practice it is easy stuff to use. experimentation is how i learned. if you do that it thins with water and you can wipe off the excess with a paper towel. there are several methods that get diff results. the citadel is like cheating though its to easy. the problem though is if you let it it will tint the whole base color. you can deal with that with alcohol and q-tips but be careful not to rub off the base color

7. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

for my megatron i just covered an area with black then wiped off most of it with a paper towel. for my prime i did the same except it looked too dark so i drybrushed gray over it

8. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nope, they are thinned down lacqures, but it wasn't the metalizers I thinned, it was the tamiya german greay that I thinned, and to much I might add.. That's why I said that if I do another, I'll go with the same metalizer scheme, but I'll. Go with testors acryl's for washes because I can thin them out with plain water, and that way they won't eat the metalizer :p 

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009