Customs: Paint Vs. Dye?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by K1dnotorious, Jul 22, 2007.

1. K1dnotorious

K1dnotorious Old Skool Like Kup

ok so i'm about delve into the kitbash kingdom but first I want some opinions like Which is better Paint or Dye? Airbrush a must? sanding, alcohol or acitone? who sucks more Wheelie or Daniel? how many extra seekers should I have to make 1 bash?

Now I know there's dozens of help threads out there and I have looked through some but still have reservations about trying to recolor a classic because
    1. I'm poor
    2. not too many Classics available to me anymore
    3. I'd feel really really bad if I mnessed up a transformer

So mostly I wanna know which is the least likley to screw up? Paint or Dye?

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    well if you screw up with dye its usually that you leave it in the hot water too long and you warp the plastic. other than that it doesn't rub off like paint will. I try to use dyes for balljoints and rubbing parts like that if I can help it on my customs, then paint the rest. I don't have an airbrush either, I use brushes for detail work and spray paint for the major areas. acetone is a good suppliment to dyebaths and also cleans up brushes well too.

3. REDLINE

News Credits:
    well if you screw up with dye its usually that you leave it in the hot water too long and you warp the plastic. other than that it doesn't rub off like paint will. I try to use dyes for balljoints and rubbing parts like that if I can help it on my customs, then paint the rest. I don't have an airbrush either, I use brushes for detail work and spray paint for the major areas. acetone is a good suppliment to dyebaths and also cleans up brushes well too.

4. K1dnotorious

Right, as I understand it you dip in for only 3-5 seconds, and you can only go darker, and the color wheel goes into effect.
    now I once Kitbashed a Bludgen into g1 colors but had a bad experience with the paint,the paint flakes off if you look at it wrong so that's why I was wondering about Dye's

5. K1dnotorious

Right, as I understand it you dip in for only 3-5 seconds, and you can only go darker, and the color wheel goes into effect.
    now I once Kitbashed a Bludgen into g1 colors but had a bad experience with the paint,the paint flakes off if you look at it wrong so that's why I was wondering about Dye's

6. REDLINE

News Credits:
    well it depends. you probably used an enamel, and you're best bet in most cases is to use an acryllic paint. and the dip time depends on how dark you want a piece to be, and some pieces are more dense of a plastic than others which means they'll take the dye slower as well.

7. REDLINE

News Credits:
    well it depends. you probably used an enamel, and you're best bet in most cases is to use an acryllic paint. and the dip time depends on how dark you want a piece to be, and some pieces are more dense of a plastic than others which means they'll take the dye slower as well.

8. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    I read this alot wth people saying dip 3-5 seconds or you will warp, I have yet to warp anything and i usually leave the part in my mix until it starts to boil and then i dip it for a minute or so at a time and rinse it with water every2-3 minutes. I use rit dye a big pot thread and nailpolish remover.

9. cobra zartan

News Credits:
    I read this alot wth people saying dip 3-5 seconds or you will warp, I have yet to warp anything and i usually leave the part in my mix until it starts to boil and then i dip it for a minute or so at a time and rinse it with water every2-3 minutes. I use rit dye a big pot thread and nailpolish remover.

10. K1dnotorious

so a combination of both? damn now i'm thinking about making molds so I can screw up all I want but I have no clue how to do that either

11. K1dnotorious

so a combination of both? damn now i'm thinking about making molds so I can screw up all I want but I have no clue how to do that either

12. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I bring the water to a boil, then remove it from the heat and add in a couple of capfuls of acetone, then the packet of dye mix. stir it up and then dump all the parts into the pan, after about 30 seconds, I'll check to see how dark they are (sometimes a piece will get dark that fast or even quicker) and just keep going. if its so long that the water's gotten too cool, I'll put it back on heat but stir it while its on there and take it off before it gets to boiling again.

13. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I bring the water to a boil, then remove it from the heat and add in a couple of capfuls of acetone, then the packet of dye mix. stir it up and then dump all the parts into the pan, after about 30 seconds, I'll check to see how dark they are (sometimes a piece will get dark that fast or even quicker) and just keep going. if its so long that the water's gotten too cool, I'll put it back on heat but stir it while its on there and take it off before it gets to boiling again.

14. K1dnotorious

do you dye them all at once? or 1 peice at a time?

15. K1dnotorious

do you dye them all at once? or 1 peice at a time?

16. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I dye all the pieces that I want to be the same color at the same time. saves on dye.

17. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I dye all the pieces that I want to be the same color at the same time. saves on dye.

18. cobra zartan

News Credits:
    and what i do is fill the pot dump the dye dump the nailpolish remover and have at her, ive dyed parts and full figs all in 1 shot. tons of methods out there

19. cobra zartan

News Credits:
    and what i do is fill the pot dump the dye dump the nailpolish remover and have at her, ive dyed parts and full figs all in 1 shot. tons of methods out there

20. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I try not to do full figs, at least not "un"separated, as you'll have spots not get dyed properly where there's rubbing.