Customs: Paint removing guide?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by NemesisBruticus, Jan 5, 2009.

1. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

Yes I know, rubing alchohol, but I cant seem to get any real results on galvatrons arm.

2. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    What strength of alcohol are you using? Which Galvatron? And why are you trying to take the paint off anyways?

Details friend, DEEEETAILS!!!!

3. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

I think Universe Galvatron, where the left arm is actually purple plastic painted grey.

The strength of the alcohol is an issue. I didn't know this and I was using about 50% strength (I got some at the dollar store). I got results in that after soaking the part in alcohol for a few hours I could get most of the paint off by scratching with my fingernails. Some of the detailed parts I couldn't get off, even after scrubbing with a toothbrush. Repeated soaks of a few hours at a time helped a bit, but I still wasn't able to get some of the details.

In hindsight I've learned the strength of the alcohol matters, with 90% apparently much better. I have yet to go back and redo it though, school, holidays and stuff, you know how it is.

But apparently 90% alcohol and a toothbrush...yeah. That's what I've been told. I'd disassemble it to make it easier to get to with a toothbrush. Personalyl I like the silver colour on the wrist, so I'd try to maintain that if you could. Unless you want to strip it and try and find a matching paint, or repaint the right hand too...