Customs: Paint removal question.....

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Nemesis251, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wants 3rd Party Knock Out

I'm trying to remove the red details off of Drift. I have took him apart and let the pieces soak in alcohol for 3 days. All of the paint details came off easy but the red won't even fade. I tried the "purple stuff" today, with no effect. Anybody else had this problem?

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I removed the red paint on one of my Drift molds for a custom WIP using 91% alcohol. Instead of soaking, I just used q-tips and put some muscle into it. Took it right off with no problems. Hopefully you can try that and see if it works for you. Good luck, man!

3. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wants 3rd Party Knock Out

I tried the Q-tip method, its works. I does take "muscle", lol. I tried using a toothbrush before the Q-tip but nothing happened. Brush too soft?

4. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    It's possible the brush was too soft, but that also takes muscle to scrub off the paint when using alcohol. It will take a while either way, just be patient and keep at it and it should come right off. I'd use the toothbrush on the grooves that the q-tip can't quite get into.

5. Shwiggie

Shwiggie Likeable dryskinned biped

There's always sandpaper. And for getting at stubborn paint in crevices I've had luck with one of those fiberglass pens you get at Radio Shack for cleaning traces for soldering.

6. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Testors Metalizers Lacquer Thinner.

Paint falls off. Just wipe it off quickly or it will start to etch into the plastic. I just did a Red Alert and there is no trace of red left except in the very deepest cracks. Paint will cover that so I'm not concerned. But if you are anal about it Q-tips or toothpicks and the thinner should take care of all traces..