Customs: Paint Removal Clear Plastic...

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Wingsbr, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    I have a bunch of classics cliffjumpers and seekers that I want to repaint. My problem is that I've read that alcohol doesn't do well on clear plastic. My first custom (wip) of Classics Devestator has the little holes where the energon stars go, they are clear like a bubble on top of the little decepticon sybmbol, turned a milky color because they came in contact with the alcohol for a couple of hours so I know that even a small amount of time can do damage. How do I remove paint from these figures without messing up the tf itself. Any help is greatly appreciated...

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    paint thinner. and i'm serious. just get it off quick. or use acetone.

3. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    paint thinner. and i'm serious. just get it off quick. or use acetone.

4. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I disagree. Acetone will MELT the plastic.

5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I disagree. Acetone will MELT the plastic.

6. Wingsbr

News Credits:
    Yeah I kinda thought that when they said that the reason tamiya is so good is because it has a hint of acetone to help the paint bond with the plastic. Any other ideas???

7. Wingsbr

News Credits:
    Yeah I kinda thought that when they said that the reason tamiya is so good is because it has a hint of acetone to help the paint bond with the plastic. Any other ideas???

8. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    are you serious or insane? acetone is nail polish remover. ever meet a chick with fake nails? guess what...they are made from PLASTIC!
    Gasoline is 10% acetone, and your gas tank is plastic.

As long as you wipe the excess off and don't let it sit on there an hour, it's the best paint remover out there.

edit to clarify that there ARE parts with higher % of cellulose, THOSE will melt.

also, try these methods. though i haven't tried personally, i've heard some work...

Simple Green
    Castrol Super Clean degreaser - found at auto supply stores
    Easy-Off Oven Cleaner
    Acetone

9. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    are you serious or insane? acetone is nail polish remover. ever meet a chick with fake nails? guess what...they are made from PLASTIC!
    Gasoline is 10% acetone, and your gas tank is plastic.

As long as you wipe the excess off and don't let it sit on there an hour, it's the best paint remover out there.

edit to clarify that there ARE parts with higher % of cellulose, THOSE will melt.

also, try these methods. though i haven't tried personally, i've heard some work...

Simple Green
    Castrol Super Clean degreaser - found at auto supply stores
    Easy-Off Oven Cleaner
    Acetone

10. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

Actually nail polish remover has a fairly small percentage of acetone jsut like gasoline. Nail polish remover won't eat plastic, pure acetone will eat through it within minutes and can cause warping within seconds. Trust me I've tried it. The main reason is the type of plastic used. Its the same reason some parts of TFs take dye well and others don't. If it takes dye easily then its more libel to melt when exposed to certain chemicals because the bonds in the plastic are already weaker. Though kinda cool if your going for battle damage its not a safe choice for removing paint in most cases. 90% rubbing alcohol works well however, as does goo gone and nail polish remover. However even with these long term exposure can cause warping and and clouding of hte plastic since they have to break the bonds of paint to plastic and this causes changes in the plastics chemical makeup.

Also note that acetone has highly toxic fumes and his highly flammable and do to its flash point mildly explosive depending on how its stored.

11. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

Actually nail polish remover has a fairly small percentage of acetone jsut like gasoline. Nail polish remover won't eat plastic, pure acetone will eat through it within minutes and can cause warping within seconds. Trust me I've tried it. The main reason is the type of plastic used. Its the same reason some parts of TFs take dye well and others don't. If it takes dye easily then its more libel to melt when exposed to certain chemicals because the bonds in the plastic are already weaker. Though kinda cool if your going for battle damage its not a safe choice for removing paint in most cases. 90% rubbing alcohol works well however, as does goo gone and nail polish remover. However even with these long term exposure can cause warping and and clouding of hte plastic since they have to break the bonds of paint to plastic and this causes changes in the plastics chemical makeup.

Also note that acetone has highly toxic fumes and his highly flammable and do to its flash point mildly explosive depending on how its stored.

12. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Fight Fight Fight!

13. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Fight Fight Fight!

14. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I would not use acetone on any plastic surface you really want to keep. It breaks down the underlying base material too easily. Go with a milder solvent and apply elbow grease.

15. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I would not use acetone on any plastic surface you really want to keep. It breaks down the underlying base material too easily. Go with a milder solvent and apply elbow grease.

16. Wingsbr

News Credits:
    So I still don't know what to use. I've read alot of what not to use, but I still need help. Thanks again...

17. Wingsbr

News Credits:
    So I still don't know what to use. I've read alot of what not to use, but I still need help. Thanks again...

18. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Use nail polish remover... Or just ask Jin... He knows what he's doing.

19. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Use nail polish remover... Or just ask Jin... He knows what he's doing.

20. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

I've done quite a few Classics CJ/BB Repaints http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=140273 And I havent had a problem with getting paint off clear plastic. In fact I'm working on a Alt Skids repaint and the much to my surprise the back half is completly clear plastic, and the paint came right off after being soaked in 90% Iso alcohol overnight