Customs: Paint Pens

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Sharktibolt, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I have a question for any and all Radicons. Have you ever used paint pens before? If so, which ones would you say are the best, or at least satisfactory?

Specifically what do you think of the Elmer's brand Painters paint markers? :D 

2. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I think MushroomPrime and Superquad7 use them, and I love my Silver Sharpie. :D 

3. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

I've used gundam markers a bit. The only bad thing I can say about them is that the lighter colors are a bit hard to work with, as with ANY paint, so I don't know if that even counts. Other than that, I love 'em! The price is good, they seem to last a while, and they come in about a zillion colors. Deffinately worth checking out, since if you decide you don't like them, at least they didn't cost you a fortune like some of the paint markers you'll find in a craft/hobby store that run $4-5 each.

4. Sharktibolt

News Credits:
    Good to know some other Radicons here use them. :D 

Anyone know a good store that might have Ultra-Fine tip paint pens? I need a black one that will fit into small cracks, the Fine tip ones don't reach every little thing.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    You'd be correct! I don't use them a lot, but I have on occasion. I prefer painting, but with markers I prefer the ones that are acrylic. Depending upon your application will depend on your streak residue.

If someone has never done a custom before, it's a GREAT place to start with. I used to use them quite a bit for metallics (like rims and such), but I've swapped over to enamel metallics + thinner/toothpicks for the same job.

I hope that helps!

6. Sharktibolt

News Credits:
    That does help, I never would have thought of toothpicks. :D 

Although today I went to a store and found an ultra-fine black paint pen. It's perfect for getting all the cracks I missed with the fine pen.

I don't think the paint rubs off easy once it dries, but I keep looking over it and every time I'm finding spots I missed.

7. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I have heard that the Gundam Markers are the cats a$$....never got a chance to use any....yet.

For now, I use Testors paint markers. They seem to work pretty good for me too....no complaints yet.

8. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    where do you buy the testors ones?
    i only see a few colors, just red/blue/white/black/silver and thats it