Customs: Paint on black

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by aledromo, May 1, 2012.

1. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

Hi,

What would you consider to be the most effective ways to paint a color onto black plastic? I put down an opaque white base, but find it interferes with the final color. any ideas?

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I prime dark areas with gray or khaki.

3. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Standard light grey primer.

4. aledromo

Primer, eh? I've never used it. Do you have to buy a primer specific to enamels or acrylics?

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Not really. I mean, in my experience, it doesn't seem to matter. I've even used simple gray hobby and craft paint as a primer. Priming gives subsequent layers of paint more tooth. I highly recommend it. The paint comes out much better as a result.

I recommend anything by Krylon, more specifically their Camouflage line:

Krylon: Products: Camouflage Paint with Fusion Technology

Walmart carries black, khaki, and olive.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  6. aledromo

Not much of a spray guy. I use brushes mostly, but I've got some grey acrylic paint I can try as a primer on my next test project. Thanks for the idea.

7. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    A primer is not just flat grey paint. A primer gives a better bond between the subject and the paint. See that you get a primer that is meant for what you are painting (plastics I figure) and be sure to have the primer cure long enough. Otherwise it will crack your paint.

iDD

8. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not anymore they don't..... They phased out the line from their stores.

Also.... I am not sure what problem the OP is having painting directly on the black plastic. You should have no problem doing so. Give it a good washing and a nice sanding with 1000 grit sandpaper and any enamel or lacquer should bite right into it.

9. aledromo

Colors tend to show up way too dark. It's as thought the black is mixing with the color or showing through. I don't want to sand too much as I don't have an easy time getting evenly sanded in some of the small areas, but I'll try washing the areas more and see what happens. Plus I use acrylics instead of enamels, so maybe that's part of it?

Failing that, can anyone recommend a good brush-on primer to use with Testor's acrylics?

10. Fragmare

Fragmare Desert Dog

Ebay:
    Head to your local auto-parts store and pick up some flat gray "self-etching" primer. Dupli-Color makes some. It usually comes in a spray can but they might have it in pop-open cans as well... even if they don't, just spray some into the spray can cap and apply with a brush. Self-etching primer is composed of an acid and zinc. The acid, usually phosphoric acid, forces the zinc down into the top couple of molecules of the plastic surface. Chemically impregnating and sealing the surface. This does two things: a.) creates a barrier between the plastic and your paint coat, so you don't get "bleed-through" occurring, where the color of the plastic is interfering with the color of the paint you're trying to apply. b.) creates a better surface for your paint to bond with and adhere to.

11. aledromo

Awesome. That's extremely helpful. I appreciate the help!