Minor/Repaint: Paint mod for RID Prime Powerizer Megatron(man thats a long title)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by tb-1599, Feb 12, 2012.

1. tb-1599

tb-1599 Well-Known Member

So Powerizer Megatron I really like it. His fusion cannon........not so much. Well my first idea was to add some sculpty to his existing cannon, remove the sword and make it more streamlined. Well I found out I am not the worlds best sculpter. So I figured I would try my hand at painting. I looked at all the different mechtech weapons I had and I decided on using Voyager class OP cannon. This was going to be my first time painting so I wanted to take it easy. Just a couple of colors. I used Testors Purple Metal flake and Steel (just used that around the band around the barrel). The purple is not an EXACT much to the purple plastic on megs but I like it alot.. So I just wanted to get some opinions and constructive crit from the other painters and moders on the boards..

Attached Files:

2. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I like it. I think it looks good. You get a gold star from me. :) 

3. ironjazz

ironjazz Tie Fighter pilot

News Credits:
    cool

4. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Oh yeah. Much better canon.

5. Ruminus

Ruminus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Super, now what you need to do is mix some black with some thinner, about 3 to 1 more thinner than paint.

Use a very fine brush and dip it into the thinned black paint and paint it into the little recessed areas. trace around the little honeycomb shapes and the edges of the panels and any other recessed areas. It'll really make it pop.

You can come back with a lighter shade of your purple and do a drybrush on the raied surfaces of the pruple. Just take some white paint and add your purple to it, then dip a soft wider brush into the mixed paint and wipe it off on a paper towel until it seems like no more paint is coming off. Do this two or three times to your brush, then wipe it across the purple areas and only the raised details will collect a little paint. It adds great highlight detail.

Here is an example of where the dark thinned paint is added to the recessed and a lighter shade of color is added to the raised edges. Look closely at the black and purple parts of this figure done by Spurt Reynolds, this person is awesome!

[​IMG]

6. tb-1599

Cool ideas I will have to try that. For the recessed part I have a gundam detail marker, could I use that???

7. Ruminus

News Credits:
    Yes you can, but its less forgiving. The nice rhing about using a thinned color is that it dries slowly and if you make a mistake, you have time to either suck it up with a dry brush or q-tip. It usually takes a couple passes with a wash (thinned paint) but it gives you control of how dark you get. If you use a marker...its just BLACK or whatever color you use. A wash lets a little of the under color show through giving it a little more cohesive look.

8. tb-1599

Well I am pretty new to the painting scene but I will try it.

9. Ruminus

News Credits:
    Take a look through the tutorials in these forums, or look up washes and dry brush techniques on google. They are two of the easiest techniques to getting really nice paint jobs!

10. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Nice! I may give this a try since I do have a DOTM Ion cannon that came with the DOTM Optimus figure of my own! It does look better on Megatron!