Customs: Paint matching MPM-4 Optimus Prime?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Shadow25, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm interested in filling in the missing details on MPM4. Not looking to do a full blown custom job, but there are a couple of missing or incorrect colors that I'd like to correct.

They all seem to be flat surfaces for the most part, so it should be simple. I already used a gold paint pen to fill in the circular chest piece and the circles by his waist, leaving just red, blue, and silver applications for the following:

Red:
    - Side and underside of his forearms

Blue:
    - Back of the blue piece with flames on the upper arms
    - Small panels at top of rear hips
    - Triangular panels at the top of the calves
    - Foot loops

Silver:
    - Other side of the gas tanks
    - Round bits on the underside of the forearm
    - Continue the hips around back to the quads
    - Various other small details potentially :) 

Silver is silver, so I'm wondering if anyone has any good paint recommendations that are good quality, easy to use, and most importantly color match the red and blue on MPM4? I have some Craftsmart paint pens I've used for other touch up work on my figures, but the red and blue are poor matches for MPM4's colors and I want to do right by it. Not sure if there are any other good quality paint markers or just straight up paint worth trying.

Thanks in advance!

• Like Like x 2
  2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't have the figure in hand, but it's going to be something that requires a LOT of mixing, i think. If i remember correctly from the days of the leader figure being repainted back in 09, the red had a fairly close match wth testors model masters enamel gloss red, but I'm not sure on the blue. The silver, you might be able to get away with the MM chrome silver. I think its in their lacquer line?? But, again, I think it's going to require some mixing.