Customs: Paint match for Hasbro's silver?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Autobot Burnout, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Hi, all.

So, today I managed to find a Gen. Wheeljack and upon opening the box he's an awesome toy. However, I finally noticed that he's actually got something weird going on with his door "wings": the interior of one door is painted silver, but the other one is not. I can live with the problem as in the right lighting it's not all that noticeable, but it sort of bugs me that the silver is JUUUST gray enough to make it clear the white door doesn't match.

Since I'm pretty good with touch-ups, I think I can easily fix this problem with the right silver. The catch is that the only silver I have access to isn't an exact match, and so if I used that silver I still wouldn't have two matching wings.

Now, a while ago I heard somebody say they found some kind of paint or something of the like that was for all intents and purposes an exact match to Hasbro's silver, so if anybody can point me towards where I can get that silver to fix my Wheeljack I'd be much obliged.

2. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    My dad royally effed up his Deep Dive's paint, and I've been repainting it by masking and spraying it with Testors Chrome and spraying Tamiya Semi-Gloss Clear over that. I don't think it's an exact match, but it's really, really close.

3. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    The closest match I've found is Tamiya Flat Aluminum. I've used it on heads/faces and various parts I've painted silver. Most recently, I painted parts on Generations Kup, but haven't snapped any shots of it.

4. Timesynch

Timesynch Is a Bad Hombre!

News Credits:
    I've got a Generations Wheeljack that had a scratch on one of the silver crests on top of his head right out of the package. It annoyed me to have factory damage, to say the least. But I bought a simple jar of Testors "silver argent" enamel paint and applied a small dab of it with a brush, and voila, can never tell it had a scratch there to begin with!

I think the color matches up very well, but then again, my application was on a very small blemish that fades into his head details (and it's not a spot you'd see anyway in normal poses). His door wings are a bit more sizable and the color mismatch might be more noticeable, but YMMV.

While we're on the topic of Hasbro's silver, I have Generations Thundercracker and he ALSO has a scratch on the silver paint next to his chest Decepticon insignia, right out of the packaging too. URGH. How about a little QC, Hasbro! Anyway, I applied the same silver argent Testors enamel paint to it but it's a tad too dark (the silver on Thundercracker is much lighter in color). Any suggestions, anyone?