Customs: Paint Masking How-to, Tips, Tricks?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Agamus, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

I didn't see a post on this in the tutorial thread, please link if there is one (I did find this though)

I couldn't paint a straight line freehand for my life and painting details cleanly is damn near impossible for me, but I've never really mucked around with this technique. I'd like to start out with as much information as possible, so any advice would be appreciated

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  2. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I prefer basic masking tape. I know many like blue painter's tape, but I just find the stuff too expensive when the same results can be achieved with the cheap stuff.
    -Lay down the tape where you want to mask.
    -Burnish it with something not sharp (I use a pen cap or spare styrene rod).
    -Spray the color.
    -Wait a few minutes, then pull the tape off slowly at an angle.

• Like Like x 2
  3. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I agree the blue painters tape is excessive, l also use the beige stuff, from the dollar store so not overly grippy and also thin and easily cut for getting into tight niches. You can further reduce the tack by stickibg onto your hand before using it to mask a part.

Blue tack (that putty like stuff)can be very useful as well

There are a few companies that make a brush on mask that dries to a latex like layer you can peel off after paint dries. Humbrol comes to mind but l am sure other paint makers have a version....

Painting just takes time and practice, take deeps breaths as you draw the brushstrokes.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A neat trick to reduce bleeding under the edges of masking tape is to paint with your base color, apply the masking tape (after the base has had time to dry sufficiently), then, either spray a light coat of that same base color or a clear coat over the edges of the tape. That way, if any bleeding is going to happen, it's the same color or clear and it seals those bleed spots. Then you can go ahead and paint your second color.

Obviously you still want to burnish the edges but I find I still get a lot of bleed so I like this technique for getting perfectly crisp edges.

I've had trouble with masking tape lifting my base coat sometimes. If that happens you've got a few options: give the base coat longer to cure, spray a clear coat over your base coat to protect it before you mask over it, or reduce the tackiness of the tape by sticking it to your shirt (preferably lint and hair free) a couple of times before using it. Got this tip from a thread I created to rage about my masking woes.

Also I have to say that Tamiya's masking tape for curves is a life saver.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    As well as the base coat trick, you can also use rubber cement under the tape.