Customs: Paint help

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by aledromo, Jun 25, 2012.

1. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

Basically, my problem is brushstrokes. Not the three dimensional kind. My finishes are smooth enough, but if you look closely (or not too closely) you can usually see that the coverage isn't even. I have sort of worked around this problem on a few test projects, but the solution seems to be layering paint on until it's distressingly thick.

So I think the problem may be my "base coat." I'm not sure I'm using that term right, but basically the first layer of whatever I put down doesn't seem to cover evenly. I've tried using primers and various thicknesses of layers of my intended color, but can't seem to get things to where I'd like.

When you guys talk about base coats, what do you mean? Is the intent to create a layer of paint thick enough to obscure everything underneath? Are thin layers enough to eventually obscure everything, even though they show through so much?

2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thin your paint down a little bit. That will allow your paint to settle evenly without creating an overly thick layer of paint.

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Priming is arguably the most important step in custom action figure painting. You need to put down a preliminary coat for subsequent layers to adhere to. Priming is like laying down the foundation. If your layer of primer is smooth and clean, then the following ones will also go on the same way, but you still need patience and thin coats to keep things consistent.

I might post a video tutorial on priming and how to brush paint without leaving strokes.

4. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd love to see this. A tutorial on how to properly "thin" paints would be appreciated too. I have zero idea how to mix parts thinner with parts paint or how its measured

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

It's really not that hard. I know I shouldn't be saying that because experiences can differ, but it's true.

6. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

I'll look forward to the possibility of that, too.