Customs: Paint frustrations

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Dicron, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Dicron

Dicron Well-Known Member

I'm working with brush and Model Masters Acryl Guards Red and I'm having difficulty getting complete coverage on my pieces. I've tried with primer and without and even mixing with other colors, but I just cant get an even coat. At this point I'm getting frustrated, so I'm looking for some pointers from those with more experience.

[​IMG]

2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmmm, did you try thinning it down and doing thinner layers over the primer? Also, how did you wash the parts? Any sanding involved?

3. Dicron

Dicron Well-Known Member

I usually wash with simple soapy water and an old tooth brush. I haven't yet tried sanding before I paint. I'm digging out my automotive sandpaper now.

4. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    ive had odd issues with red paint, i buy one tin and its great

next one, sloppy all over, like in your pics, it felt ultra watery to me. its not a bad job of mixing, i threw it on the vortex machine for a good 30 sec like i always do and paint is auto mixed

then i buy another and its good, i have no idea, and ive only bought testors model masters ones o_O 

5. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

Personally, using thinned down paint and applying it in several thin layers (after allowing each layer to dry of course) has worked out pretty well for me, especially with bright colors.

However if it doesn't work out, spray painting could be a viable option.

edit:mad:  amd098, that seems to be the case with bright colors in general (in my case, white and yellow); in some cases they go on fine; in others, they're fighting me the entire time.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    With lighter colors, I'll often use base coats of the color (in this instance, red) from Krylon Fusion. Once I get a nice base coat, I'll go over it all with a top coat of the red I want to use (say it's a gloss metallic red, for example - a slightly different color than the base coat, but the hue is relatively the same).

An example of this is my Powered Convoy custom:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Takara reissue Powered Convoy on the left, my custom on the right :) )

[​IMG]

I used a Krylon Fusion blue as a base for the blue parts; I used Krylon Fusion black for the black parts. I painted several coats of it on to cover the parts well. I then used a Racing Finish Pearl Blue for the top coat + Future, and Testors gloss black + Future for the black parts.

I employ this process on most of my customs, and I've been doing things this way for a while now.

I hope that helps!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  7. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

I had the same problem with the same paint & color but I think it's partly because I was an ultra novice at brush painting. I just gave up and bought an airbrush. Even though I never really used one before either, the results with the same paint were flawless. Check my Jetfire here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/208161-revoltech-jetfire-robot-replica-prime.html

I think I used Testors Grey Primer on some of this first but I know I left parts that were already black alone. But I had the same streaking when I was painting over the black, so I was in the exact same boat as you.

I haven't had time to do much painting lately but I usually would use Krylon Fusion Flat Black (the camo can) or Testors Grey or White Primer, depending on the final top color. But to me, airbrushing is just so much easier than brushes when you are doing large areas. I only use brushes for detail and dry brush work.

8. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I may be wrong, but it could have to do with the overall pigmentation of the paint.

9. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Good question, I'll have the same issues when I paint. I pretty much just keep using lots of thin coats. It takes a while for me...

10. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Can you post a picture of the part you primed? You said you tried with primer and without.

The segment from Blur I'm looking at doesn't look like it was primed at all since I can see the blue underneath....unless you used a bluish primer.

11. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

when i handpaint brighter colors like red, I prime the part in flat gray. it makes it really easy to get an even coverage in 2-3 coats.

Painting red over a black primer will take many many LIGHT coats to get a full coverage, and will come out a darker shade of red.

12. Superquad7

News Credits:
    This is some very good advice. :thumb 

13. ^o^CORVUS^o^

^o^CORVUS^o^ You call on me to solve a crooked rhyme

Ebay:
    Indeed. That's something I learned with my Fort Max and Brave Max customs: gray is the best neutral base-coat for red. However, for large areas, I go with a similar Krylon base-color like SQ7. That's what I've done for the Grand Max custom I'm working on.

14. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I need to start using SQ7 as a base coat too. I'm sure SQ7 is much easier to smear over :D 

Also, be sure when you're actually in the process of being frustrated to take a break. Grab a drink or something. There's no custom disaster out there than can take down a Radicon! :wink: 

15. wolverenz

wolverenz Decepticon

News Credits:
    This!, I always used Model Master Acrylic, but for airbrush. That paint is already thinned down compare to Tamiya Acrylic, I suggest you use Tamiya Acrylics if your using a brush, this paint is thicker enough to get a good coverage on 1-3 coats. I used Tamiya and Testors Enamel for detailing tiny parts since 1 coat is enough to cover it.

A good primer will help you also, like thyvipera and SQ7 said. Whenever I paint light colors such as, red, green, yellow etc. I use mostly white primer but for darker colors I use gray primer.

Coz if you use a darker primer then paint a light color you mostly going to get a darker shade like thyvipera said. I hope this will help you brother man.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask. :D 

P.S

Don't get frustrated easily, first try doesn't always have to be perfect, just keep on practicing and do a lot of experiments paint wise. It'll help you out in the future. :thumb 

-Renz

16. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Also, as sucky as it may sound, it's wise to know when the time comes that it's best to dump that piece (or pieces) back into a vat of alcohol or something and start completely over. Messing up sux, but messing up on top of mess up sux even worse. Temporary suffering for the long-term positive goal is the imperative here. :) 

17. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

just out of curiosity, why brushing instead of using spray cans?

Either way I always use a primer, theres just no downside to it. I use Rustolium light grey for lighter colors, and Krylon Ultra Flat black for the darker ones.

18. ^o^CORVUS^o^

^o^CORVUS^o^ You call on me to solve a crooked rhyme

Ebay:
    LOL! :thumbs2: