Customs: Paint coming off at articulations

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Obliterator999, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Obliterator999

Obliterator999 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hey guys, I currently doing my first TF repaint, a BW TM Megatron repainted as a G1 color schemed Megatron, and I'm running into a little problem. Basically, after finishing painting the figure, sealing it and putting it back together, some paint come right off at points of articulation, like hinges and such. I use to paint gundam models and I had the same problem back then, but it wasn't as bothersome because I would rarely touch the figure after finishing a job while a Transfomer... well, it's fun to handle and transform...

How can I fix this weak paint issue? I tried using superglue in those areas to solidify the paint but it still comes right off effortlessly. Admittedly, I'm using cheap art craft store acrylics (Delta Ceramcoat and DecoArt) so that might explain my problem... Anyways, what do you guys do in those situations?

2. Jolt Customs

Jolt Customs Seacon

no its not the paint, at leat i dont think becuz i am having the same proplem with testors enamel paints.

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Just one of those things that all customizers have to face. Either sand down the joints before you paint, otherwise you just have to do it all over again.

4. Bovril

Bovril Critical Miss!

You really ought to dismantle the figure, sand down any obvious rubbing points, then do a basecoat. Re-assemble and transform a couple of times. If you still have paint rub, repeat the whole process until the basecoat doesn't rub off. Now you can start 'proper' painting.

It's a pain, but any other way is a half-assed job.