Customs: paint clumping and bubbles

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by EvaUnit13, Jun 22, 2009.

1. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

so when i'm painting my scratch rotf prime gun, the paint starts clumping and makes curvy edges that stand out, and little bubbles also form. how do i keep this from happening? and is there an easy way to smooth it out for now? should semi-aggressively scrubbing it with some paint thinner work?

2. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Sounds like you may have overlooked some oily residue when prepping for paint. I am asuming you're painting with acrylic?

Acrylic is water based, oil and water just don't mix! I do believe you are correct in that you could lightly clean it with thinner/paint rmover and reclean said areas.:thumbs2: 

3. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

thanks man. so i should wash it before painting right?

4. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Yeah, that would be best. After all the sanding and modding is done, I like to give my figures a nice bath in warm water and a bit of grease-cutting dish soap. I usually remove factory paint, before mods and sanding, in which case I use alcohol, 90% isopropyl I think.

I usually don't submerge them in water/alcohol though as I usually have some sort of LED or electronic installed. A medium bristle toothbrush can help you with scrubbing too.:thumbs2: