Customs: Paint choices for TF customs vs. Other types of toy

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by blaynescott, Aug 21, 2011.

1. blaynescott

blaynescott Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hi everyone,

I've been customizing since 2007, and I've become comfortable using specific types of hobby paints:

Tamiya Acrylics
    Vallejo Acrylics (Game Color)
    Citadel Washes/Inks

Using these acrylics + a varnish/sealant is pretty standard (as I discovered after I was customizing for about 2 years) among many customizers at Figurerelam.com, and other places.

However, the more I read WiP writeups by Transformer-customizers, the more I see Matte Enamel paints (Tamiya and Model Masters seem to be the most used).

What's best? I'm about to start painting up some customs (After preping their joints/sanding/etc) using some automotive spray laquers + acyrylics, and I'm worried the paint wont' adhere as well. Is that why most people use enamels?

I did one TF custom a few years back using citadel acrylic paints and washes + a matte sealant, and it worked fine - but since it was a Vector Prime, and really had no paint-rub areas to speak of even before prepping - I never had any issues with it.

[​IMG]

Fast forward 5 years to newer, and more complicated Transformers (DOTM Megatron, for example, with lots of interlocking parts), and I'm curious:

Do I need to re-buy my paints in Enamels, or are my Vallejo/Tamiya acrylics OK for TF customs too?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input. :) 

2. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

People use all sorts of paint to customize TFs. Basically everyone just uses what they feel comfortable with. As long as you do enough prep work and use a good primer and a good sealant/clear coat you can get pretty good results with any paint really. Enamels are great for TFs because they seem to be a little more durable than acrylics sometimes, but Vallejo, citadel, and Tamiya paints work well too and many Radicons use those bands of paint (some exclusively). I don't think you need to go out and get all new paints. That said, some of the top tear customizes DO use automotive lacquers (airbrushed though I think) with great results so it's really just up to you as to what you want to invest into customizing. I hope this helps.