Customs: paint availability question

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ambushbug74, May 28, 2006.

1. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

I remember reading somewhere that there were paints that would tint clear plastic into other colors, like making the clear windows on G1 Prime clear blue. Anyone know what types of paints allow this and where they would be available? I'm needing a clear blue and possibly a clear red.

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Ive not seen a clear red but testors has a clear blue paint. but you can take any color and mix it with thinners and it'll be a clear paint.

3. ambushbug74

I thought about that, but I don't want to do TOO much work to get it right. Is the Testors paint called "Clear Blue"? or do they have some silly name for it?

4. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Don't mix with thinners. You'll just get really thin paint. You can mix colors with clear coat, to get transparent colors. Testors (under the Model Master line) and Tamiya both make transparent colors. You can also use stained glass paint.

5. REDLINE

News Credits:
    yeah, just "clear blue"

I once tried making my own clear paint by using the clearcoat way, and it was really sticky and I didn't like it.

6. ambushbug74

Thanks everyone for the input, I hope to find this paint soon. Where do you find staind glass paint? (I had thought of that before but didn't know where to get it)

I could make a bad comment about the "Sticky and didn't like it" line, but good taste will prevail. (Yeah, I'm trying to turn over a new leaf)

7. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

You can usually get stained glass paint at most craft stores. Probably wouldn't hurt to check the craft department at you local wal-mart.

I use Future, for clear coat. Mixing it with acrylic paint gives a nice thin mix, that dries rock hard. That's how I made the clear green in Alpha Stryke's visor. *points to avatar* (There's chrome behind it, but it's still transparent green)

8. C. Wallace

C. Wallace Freelance Artist

The old modelers trick for this sort of thing is mixing a bit of food dye with Future brand floor wax. Just dip your clear part in the tinted future, pull it out, and let it dry, THOROUGHLY. You'll end up with a nice shiny translucent coloring when your done. Future is a true acrylic coating, it will not hurt even the most delicate plastics, and it will dry tough as nails ;) 

9. ambushbug74

Damn, I never thought of food coloring, I may have to try that. I bought some Future awhile ago, but never really thought it would work.

10. REDLINE

News Credits:
    would I get future in a flooring dept of a home improvement place, or a household goods dept of a dept store?

I'd like to get some before I start my Dirge project and it'd be nice to have when Classics Megs finally comes out too.

11. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

It's sold with the other cleaning products, at most dept stores.

12. REDLINE

News Credits:
    coolie, thanks. I work just a few blocks from my wallyworld so that's convenient.

13. C. Wallace

C. Wallace Freelance Artist

Yep, any regular supermarket, or places like Wal-Mart etc... should carry it.

14. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits: