Paid the wrong person on PayPal, Screwed?????????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rodimusprime2007, May 11, 2011.

1. rodimusprime2007

rodimusprime2007 Only in a Jeep

Ebay:
    Ok, I cant even believe I did this. It was 5 in the morning right before I left for work. Copied and pasted the email address, or at least I thought I did. Rushed through check out, USED THE GIFT OPTION AS REQUESTED, and thought I was done. Well anyway, later that afternoon I got a PM that said he hadnt gotten the money. Went back and crap, what did I do, my stomach turned 125 bucks down the crapper is all I thought. Well talked to PP, they were putiing the transaction on hold. Ok, everythings good, paid the right guy. Anyway, I couldnt figure out whos email address I paid. PP has been emailing the person with no response. Anyway last night I figured out whos address it was, as I was going through the Sale/Trade Board. Ive been trying to get ahold of him since last night. I know hes been on the boards, so what should I do. Im not stating his ID, he has great feedback and seems like a good guy. I remember talking to him before about a trade. So what should I do, bite it in the ass for the 125, or go public on here. It was my stupidity and being half asleep that started this. Its kind of like when you find a wallet, return it or keep it. I try to help out others as much as I can, I know Im not Mother Theresa. Karma, huh. Anyway Im not sure how this is going to end. Hopefully good.

2. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Hopefully the recipient "If username exists" will be honest and refund you the money.
    I've often wondered what would happen if you sent money to a none-existing PayPal address.
    Good luck to yea!

3. jtwhoib

jtwhoib Protocol

Ebay:
    Good luck with this...I've actually had something similar happen where I used the wrong CC and the seller was really patient with me and refunded. Good luck!

4. rodimusprime2007

Ebay:
    So what would you do if he doesnt? Put his username out there for everyone to see or not. Like I said, hes got good feedback, and has been on here for a few years. The only thing thats upsetting me is let me know either way. Since Ive messaged him hes been logged on here and there.

5. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd contact a mod first. Sorry this happened to you.

6. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Not too much we can do on our end. Comes down to the personal integrity of the individual who received the money in error. If they are a stand-up person, they'll return it no problem. If they aren't? Then you're screwed. We cannot enforce them to send money back, especially if they were sent money in error (because, in the end, that's your bad).

7. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

If I read correctly they are a member here? If so, give them the chance to refund or whatever and if they don't out them.

Chuck

8. rodimusprime2007

Ebay:
    Yeah, he a member. He was just on and I PMd him. Waited awhile and he got off.

9. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's frustrating, but give the member a bit of time for a moment. He might not have noticed the notification, and he might reply you later.

I wish you best of luck, it's a terrible thing to happen.

10. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Contact paypal and let them know it's an invalid transaction. They should just be able to reverse it.

11. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    He/she could be at work and unable to access Paypal.

Give em some time to reply.

Worst case file for a unauthorized transaction.

12. rodimusprime2007

Ebay:
    Im giving him time, its just hes been on the boards so he could at least acknowledge me. Also PP cant do anything since I used the gift option as was requested by the right buyer.

13. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    It sends an email to the address you entered, alerting them that someone is trying to send them money.

You should let paypal know, just say you sent the gift money to the wrong person in your contacts list. They should be able to do something but usually you can go into your recent activity and cancel new transactions. Have you tried cancelling the gift or notifying paypal about it?

I hope it all works out for you, I know if someone sent me money on accident I'd issue them a full refund.

14. rodimusprime2007

Ebay:
    Tried everything, Ive been on the phone with PP a few times. One I did open a case, it was dismissed today due to them not finding it to be an unauthorized transaction. The lasy today at PP is emailing the person asking him to issue a full refund. Basically if I wouldnt have used the gift option than they could do more. Man, Im just going to start adding whatever percent they deduct to the payment. NO MORE GIFT OPTION OR OPERATING MACHINERY WHEN HALF AWAKE.

15. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

thanks for the money!! *runs off*

im kidding, probably a tasteless joke

16. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    NEVER use the gift option, especially for large amounts. Sellers ask me to do it - I won't. Instead I just tack on an extra buck or two for fees and send it the normal way.

If the guy is ignoring you, out him. It's your mistake but it's still dishonest as hell on his part. If he's buying/selling people should know about it.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  17. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

This is why I no longer allow for gifts to be used.

18. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Agreed on all counts. The Gift option shouldn't ever be used for sending money to people you don't know, it's just asking for trouble. And if the poster doesn't reply to you and give you your money back, name and shame them. Other posters should know who to avoid.

19. yami4ct

yami4ct Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I too never use the gift function for any amount I'm not prepared to lose. I'd rather build in the fee than take the risk on anything over $50. Just asking for trouble. I just think of the extra amount as payment insurance. Wish you the best, man. Hope everything turns out. Hopefully, the guy just hasn't got your mail and will send it back to you as soon as he knows.

20. rodimusprime2007

Ebay:
    Eveythings good, THANK GOD FOR GOOD NATURED AND RESPECTFUL AND HONSET PEOPLE IN THE WORLD. Thats one thing I love about this sight, EVERYONE I have ever dealt with is a really down to earth and decent person. I LOVE YOU TFW2005!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!