Pages appear that don't exist

Discussion in 'TFW2005 Tech Support' started by Keith Prime, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Keith Prime

Keith Prime Advanced Engineer

News Credits:
    I've seen this in a few threads Front Paged at times, but rarely as bad as this.

The Doctor Who Discussion Thread Currently has 4 pages showing that don't exist yet. As of this writing, pages 453-456 show up in the page navigation area, but we're only 2 posts into page 452!

Most other instances of this I've seen have only been single pages. Also, the other instances have KEPT the non-existant page as pages fill. I think there's a point where the non-page reappears after transitioning to another page... Possibly due to posts it thinks exist.

I have not actively even found how to set someone to Ignore (not that I've looked... I only had one instance of it crossing my mind, but that was during the Erector campaign), so I know it isn't that.

I don't know if it's related, but there was a merger on the 5th, due to Search being down. I don't think I noticed the non-page-links that day.

Clicking on a link to a non-existant page takes you to the top of the last real page.

I noticed this on the 6th or 7th (I think 7th), but didn't say anything thinking it could be a glitch.

2. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The pages that don't exist, but yet show up (sometimes referred to as "ghost pages") happen when thread become large in size, such as the Doctor Who thread that has 4,555 (at the time of writing this) replies. There are no missing posts, just a quirk in the post counting.

If you set the number of posts per page to 25 (Found under UserCP - Edit Options) it will sort it out.

As for adding people to your "ignore list", that again can be found under your UserCP, this time under Edit Ignore List. To add a user to the list, enter their name into the empty text box and click 'Okay', but you can't add Moderators or Admins to that list. Sorry, you have to listen to us :p .

Hope that helps.

3. Keith Prime

News Credits:
    I had assumed it was a programming glitch, hence me saying "4 pages showing that don't exist yet". (I was a Computer Science Major who learned more on my own than from the teachers). Just reporting the oddity.

& I wasn't asking about Ignoring people, just stating I only had one instance of thinking about it, during an obvious period. I'm sure if someone had annoyed me enough, I'd've found it on my own... & I also assumed if Ignore was possible on this site, Mods on up would be immune, since they run the site.

I do appreciate your information, however.

4. Keith Prime

News Credits:
    Just got around to trying the 25 posts per page thing, & there's STILL 2 Ghost Pages. I've gone back to the Forum Default. Makes posting links others can use easier (as the URL appears to be different & I'm not sure how that would work for others).

There also appears to be a 5th Ghost Page (at 10 per page).

5. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    It is a known bug. There are no missing posts that you are not seeing. It's just a miscalculation in the system for displaying the amount of pages.

If you click 145, and it takes you to 142, it means that 142 is the proper last page.

It can not be fixed as of right now. If we figure out a way, it will be implemented.

6. Keith Prime

News Credits:
    If you go up a couple posts, you'll see I already said I had assumed from the beginning it was a programming glitch & that the pages never existed (said that in the thread title, actually), as I was a Computer Science major & pick up on them.

The previous post was mostly to inform you guys that this "rounding error" exceeds the recommended fix of showing more posts per page.

Thanks for the explanation, again, none-the-less.

7. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Sorry if I was snappy dude. We've been getting this a lot more lately, and people tend to ignore answers. Not you, but in general. I just saw another response and wanted to be quickly clear.

For anyone else reading - Boardwise's fix does not work all the time, only some times. So give it a shot, but if it doesn't work for that particular thread, then that's it. Again - you are never missing any posts, it's just a glitchy system calculation for pages.

8. Keith Prime

News Credits:
    If I understand the bug's displayed effect, Boardwise's fix will only work if a thread only has 2 (maybe, 3 depending on how it works) glitchy Ghost Pages.

The Doctor Who Discussion went from normal to 4 overnight. A 5th showed up today.

I wonder if this is tied to the excess traffic due to BotCon & DotM?

Thinking, I also wonder if this has anything to do w/ someone starting to write a post, but decides to never post it? It creates a URL & maybe a post number... I wonder if the server wasn't programmed to delete them if they were never submitted? Might be something for you guys to look into. Having an acutal number of Ghost Posts would explain why I've seen Ghost Pages fluctuate as the page changes.

9. Keith Prime

News Credits:
    Just reporting that it LOOKS like the Doctor Who thread is back to normal. Page 452 was showing as the last page...

I replied to a post, starting page 453, & it's no longer showing ghost pages.

10. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    You going to see it. Several more times probably. It's a bug in the forum software. It's no big deal. it doesn't affect the reading of posts.