Packaging Cost

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Boggs6ft7, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

So this came to mind to me after I bought my classics Bumblebee and Starscream. How much of the cost of the toy is attributed to packaging?

Now I know that there is a market for collectors that like to leave their stuff in the box and want it to be displayable, but I'm not like that. I buy my toy, play with it for a while, then it goes on the shelf or display case. I tend to save the boxes just in case I want to sell them. But more often than not, I'm not going to sell them and I'll just pass them on to my kids. So the packaging to me is worthless.

so its just a curiosity I have as to how much I'm paying for the fancy pagacking with appox. 10,000 twist ties holding my toy in place.

2. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

I think classicshavn't really been to bad on the packaging so far, I don't remember finding more then 2 ties on the deluxes so far, and I cant remember how many were on Prime, but I thought it was only 3 or so.

No Unicron like disasters so far.

3. Boggs6ft7

I know, I'm just talking about Tfs in general.

4. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    It depends on the series I guess. US developed figures like Classics and Titaniums seem to have more attention to packaging while lines that appear on both shores have a lot of cost cutting in their packaging. Like Armada's bubble and inserts design that basically meant the front of every card was identical, which was moreso in Cybertron because they used bubble inserts for everything. Classics have better packaging, sturdier at least, and 6" Titaniums are different for every figure, so lines like that I'd say have about 15% of their cost in the package, where as lines like Cybertron and Armada that cheap it probably have 10%. If you're talking about value toward collectors, then it depends most on the figure itself.

5. battlebeasts

battlebeasts Banned

Four color printing on cardboard stock plus window boxing, plus the designer cost=$$$$

6. Boggs6ft7

I guess what I'm getting at is that I would want a super generic box with a cooler toy for the same price, or the same toy at a cheaper price without the fancy packaging.

keep dreaming, I know.

7. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

even

Well, it probably is alot less then you think, considering the toy is what is costing you the mullah(design, assembly, painting, test shots, prototypes), it is a basic business starting practice that the packaging materials you use should be no more then I forgot the percentage of the value of the product.

I understand that Hasbro is not a startup company but it would be fiscal suicide to develop business practices in direct opposition with what works, also you have to consider that Hasbro does all this in house, it is not like they got to Mr. X's twist tie factory to get the ties, Ms. Y's happy box company, ya I know the joke, or Joe's pantorama.

They do all this in house and thus minimize the costs, I am sure that by the time they take the cardboard, plastic, and dyes/laser printing and such of the cardboard and the instructions and such that even though it looks complex to us is really a drop in the bucket compared to the actual design that goes into the design of the toy, heck the design of the packaging probably costs them more then the actual implementation of producing it.

I mean look at G1 boxes, people churn those out these days due to the complexity of the newer technology, in years to come I am sure kids will be thermo molding or whatever the process they use now the weird blisters and bubbles from tits and alts.

8. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Not so much. I used to work at a plant that made, among other things, cardboard stock for cereal boxes. They had the same four color printing on cardboard stock and even when they had plastic windows (for some reason an Israeli company ordered all of their boxes from us, and loved little windows for the toy pack in) and the price per unit of those boxes were in the cents. When you have a machine that can run at around 10,000 units per hour it is amazing how cheap it becomes.

9. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought I read somewhere that for the 3 3/4" Star Wars Titaniums, as much as 25% of the cost went to packaging. This was because they were considered collectors items and that the packaging was one of the reasons why people were buying them. I can see the same train of thought applied to the 6" TF Titaniums.

10. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    the final packaging deal for each complete package wouldn't be more then 50 cents, since the orders for the packaging is massive.

it's a few hundred dollars to make the molds for the plastic blister bubbles, and insert trays, but after you get that done, its only like 15 cents for each one. plus like another 15 cents to do the cards.

It doesn't cost much to get the things mass produced, it's just the molding process that is expensive

those are prices I've been quoted around to get packaging done. someone like Hasbro would of course own all their own packaging machines, so after a few months, they would be paid off, and they could get it all done up for next to nothing

11. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

You've got a good point. I've done some work for a company here in Cincy that makes color packaging for six and twelve packs of Sam Adams, MGD, etc. And, those products FLY off the presses...couldn't be too awful expensive for a single unit.

12. paskal

paskal SHWOOOO!!

The efficiency in packaging thing is also to save on shipping costs. I don't mind smaller packaging for the Japanese releases as long as it has a window where I can see the toys inside the package.