Minor/Repaint: P.R.I.D. Sideswipe

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by leobreaker1977, Apr 19, 2012.

1. leobreaker1977

leobreaker1977 Well-Known Member

So I am pretty sure that I have said it before but this line has so much custom potential. I saw this as soon as I saw this mold, and I am surprised that no one else has done it. I will be following up with a sunstreaker to go with him....cause whats one with out the other ;) . He is R.I.D. wheeljack with a modded Universe Sideswipe head. The ball and socket are from a package of parts for RC cars (thanks Wheeljack, he showed em in his insecticon w.i.p) I used the same automotive paint that I had used for RTS Chase except the colour is Barcelona Red. I used Testor enamil silver for the mirrors and the edging of the panels. The red detailing on the other parts is an Elmers painter Paint Marker, and The black is Testor Acrylic Gloss Black.The little bit of panel lining was done using copic pens(thanks Fiskone for telling me about them) and the sealed with Krylon satin clear coat. The stickers are from the first Autobot set from Reprolabels so they are metallic red on shiny white. Thanks for looking, any comments and constructive criticisms are welcome.

Attached Files:

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Nice work on the paint. I'm afraid the head doesn't quite jive with the rest of it, though.

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Kickass man. I forgot how good the G1 Sideswipe deco looks on anything.

4. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

First off you have Bulkhead's chest misstransformed. ;) 

Your paint job looks good though you mite add something to the arms around the tire area to break up the red a little.

As for the mold I have a Sunstreaker already from this mold and planning to do a Sideswipe. Thought about doing Tracks,Hotrod,Breakdown and a few others as well.

5. spartan 3764

spartan 3764 Yellow ♡ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    that has to be the best use of this mold ive seen nice work man little iffy on the head though still great

6. Fiskone

Fiskone Aerosol Artist

My pleasure my good man must panel line everything MUHAHAHA! Looks awesome man he turne out incredibly well photographing him outside was a fantastic choice nothing better than natural light. Dispite what others think I believe this head works well on the mold an I really like the dry brush highlights your getting better with every custom you pump out. Keep up the good work and like I said your more than welcome to my spare sunstreaker head for when you get around to doing him.

7. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

Lovin that Sideswipe! Great job!

8. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow, everyone is painting Wheeljack into something else. Haha. I did it too with a custom character (see the sig).

This looks really good. The paint job looks great and from what I can see you haven't had any of the rub issues I've had.

But yeah, that head is too big and doesn't mesh well with the style of the figure. Actually, a modded Ratchet head might not look to bad if you attach Sideswipes ears.

9. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    I saw this posted on facebook, Nice job

10. leobreaker1977

@ methos, I hadn't noticed that bh was mistransformed lol! thanks, I guess great minds think alike eh? I had a Sideswipe head but not a Sunstreaker head so thats why I started there, and those other ideas sound great!

@ satomiblood, autovolt 127, spartan 3764, twiztidrodimus thanks guys I really appreciate your support.

@fiskone bring it today, tfs are on sale at TRU so I can save 5 bucks on the wj for it lol

@ryoku, I sanded the rub areas down with 600grit auto sandpaper, There are acouple i missed though. Sideswipe's head is actually ruffly the same size as wheeljacks. If its cause the squareness not really jiving with the softer roundish prime lines the same could be said about drift, right? just my opinion though..:)  thanks again for looking everyone.

11. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I really want to see this as Sunstreaker because the design of the robot mode as well as the transformation seem to imitate him best.

12. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

Heh, nice job, and I'm looking forward to seeing Sunny. XD

13. leobreaker1977

So for those of you who have suggested I follow up with sunstreaker Just a little update on that. I picked up another wheeljack last night at TRU (all tfs's 30%) and Thanks to Fiskone for the swap of a sunny for a red alert I have the Sunstreaker head already modded. I wouldn't mind so input on what the colour of yellow should be.

14. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

this makes me wonder if one of my all time favorite autobots will look great using this mold, i just gotta get another one and find out XD

15. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

hmmm... given how your Sides is colored... you might consider gold, or a orangey-yellow? XD
    high gloss, of course...

16. Fiskone

Fiskone Aerosol Artist

Anytime brotha glad I could help.. I'd say for Sunstreaker the most vibrant yellow and most rich that you can find and when you seal the figure use an ultra high gloss finish would look best in my opinion also you could try different yellow accents so that streaker and swipe wouldn't completely match and also would complement each other once on your shelf. I'm looking really forward on seeing him done. Always a pleasure seeing your customs and also helping out a friend with the fodder needed to complete a project.

17. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Excellent Sideswipe. Great use of the WJ mold. Can't wait to see Sunstreaker.

18. leobreaker1977

thanks guys, I am just mapping out the colour scheme tonight. I am considering the same scheme for the accenting colour placement ...(like the red on the black part on sideswipe)
    as they are supposed to be twins ...... but I am not sure... I think I will be going with a chromed yellow, as I really want to drive home how precious his paint is to him, like his G1 bio.

19. leobreaker1977

Sideswipe is going to his forever home, lol. Hope my customer is happy :) 
    Check out my links. My web page will be up soon too.