Oz The Great and Powerful.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by kaijuguy19, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

just saw the movie. the movie wasn't bad, it wasn't great. but it was still fun. and i agree the china girl, the REAL hero of the movie, who gets NONE of the credit... is the best part of the movie. and i would really like to see a spinoff movie with the china girl. who really needs a name.

while i still suspect the animated one, Dorothy of Oz, will be a better film, if it is ever actually released this year, i still enjoyed it. i enjoyed it a lot more then i thought i would.

2. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Hail to the Wizard, baby!

3. a person

a person Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got dragged along to see Oz today. Everything about it was fucking awful; the acting, the dialogue, the script, the pacing... EVERYTHING SUCKED!!! It is by far one of the worst movies I have ever seen in cinemas. It makes The Last Airbender look like The Godfather in comparison.

4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    link or it didn't happen.

5. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

6. Dolza_Khyron

that sounds less like hollywood pushing him, and more of him having a huge ego, that shouldn't exist. :lol  thus perfect for the role!

7. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    We just got back from seeing Oz and I didn't hate it, but I don't care if I ever see it again. Fortunately, it is no where near the insult to our intelligence like Dark Shadows and John Carter were last year. First off, I liked how the movie started out in black and white with a 4x3 picture with some of the effects flying across the black bars. That was well done and then when the movies goes into full 16x9 color, the effects were incredible. We ended up seeing it on the IMAX 3D due to Fandango's showtimes screw up, but it turned out to be worth it. It is by far the best looking 3D since Prometheus. There were some really great one liners and I liked how the final "battle" was done.

However, the acting in the movie was atrocious, especially from Mina Kunis, who I thought was insulting the audience with every line of dialog she said. It was like she did not even care about the movie and just did it for a paycheck. James Franco was no different than every other character he has played in every movie, as no matter what he sees, he looks stoned. This guy has about as much emotion as Vin Diesel. Glenda was probably the worst character in the whole movie though as she was just your standard "I'm a good girl who believes in you" characters. Lastly, while I did like Elfman's score, a lot of it sounded like he just took it out of the second Spider-Man movie (plus, there were A LOT of cameos from actors in the Spider-Man Duology.

Finally, I'm not sure what it is, but Disney seems to have no grasp of what to do with the stories. It's like they have come to the conclusion that they need to Lord of the Rings everything like they have with Oz, Alice in Wonderland, and John Carter, or just go over the top as they have with Dark Shadows and soon to be The Lone Ranger. In fact, The Long Ranger looks down right awful to the point that not even Johnny Depp will be able to save it. What happened to him? He used to be great at any and everything he did, did what he wanted to do, and now, it is as if Disney owns his soul.

Overall, the movie was worth seeing in theaters, and I do recommend seeing it in 3D, if that is your thing. If not, you'll probably be fine just watching it on BD when it comes out. I'd give it a 2.5/5.

8. Dolza_Khyron

lol but i liked john carter far more then this movie!!

9. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

Well, that was disappointing, but not abominable. But holy shit, DAT CHINA GIRL. Oh and Finley is cool too.

10. Dolza_Khyron

lol don't you want a China Girl spin off too? :lol 

11. Primal1987

Primal1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not a bad flick. The first and third acts were pretty good, but the second act was kind of a drag. The CGI was also spotty in areas.

Still, it was enjoyable enough. China Girl was Clementine (of The Walking Dead game) levels of adorbs.

12. Dolza_Khyron

and kind'a had the same role, doesn't she? lol!

i agree the cgi was a bit, laughable in spots.

especially when they greened the witch. she looked like a cartoon! :lol  did disney run out of budget?

and then Jackie tried to do the laugh... and failed. :lol 

13. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I hated John Carter with a passion. In fact, I liked the scenes in NY far better than I liked anything on Mars.

14. Dolza_Khyron

which is fine. but i still liked it more then this film. lol

15. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

I still don't get the hate for John Carter. It's like people compare it to something else from the past. That story came BEFORE everything you've ever seen. If you understand that, then it makes more sense. That movie was about as good as you can get for adapting the novels. (or novel). It wasn't amazing, but I don't think it was atrocious.

Edit: To be perfectly honest, I found John Carter to be much more entertaining than that steaming pile of garbage called "Avatar" that Hollywood forced down our throats.

16. DarkEnergon22

DarkEnergon22 Well-Known Member

I still don't get the hate for Dark Shadows.

17. Dolza_Khyron

i liked smurfahontas, but i agree, john carter is the better movie. avatar really didn't have anything going for it, other then visuals. John Carter, while it is by no means a great film, still was entertaining to me. And with movies that disney has been doing recently with John Carter, the first two Narnia movies *the third was done by Fox, i think.* and oz the great and powerful, i am liking where disney is headed. making more "adult" movies while still making them kid friendly, enough to make me kind'a more interested now in their later works, like The Lone Ranger, and the Wonderful Wizard of Oz movie that they have apparently just announced. SO maybe movies like their Star Wars will be good. maybe not. but i did enjoy John Carter, narnia 1 and 2, and this. Action movies, that are visually fun, dark, and kind of violent, yet are still sort'a marketed to families.

it is not a bad movie, it is just a bad, Dark Shadows movie. lol it's kind'a like what they did with the last airbender, and shoved an entire season, or in this case, an entire series worth of development, into a 100 minute film. so that was the problem with it. that and they turned it into a comedy. i mean the original was hilarious, but it wasn't because it was on purpose, more so for the production errors. :lol 

18. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I found the movie to be down right boring and full of cliches. I don't care if it was the first thing to do it in book form, in movie form, Disney decided to just copy everything else. It also does not help that I did not care for the characters either, nor the actors. The only character I liked was Mark Strong's character. Plus, they finally get to a battle sequence, a big duel is going to take place, and they behead the villain off camera. WTF was up with that? In fact, I felt like I was watching the last hour to Attack of the Clones the entire movie.

Johnny Depp was playing a comedy, the rest of the cast seemed to be playing a drama. It did not work. The plot was bland. The sex scene was out of place and over the top. In fact, that is where the movie completely lost me, as I had been enjoying it up to that point. That scene just through me completely out of it and I never got back into it. Plus, the editing was really bad as Barnabus is in the house, suddenly he is for some reason at a camp site with hippies. It didn't make any sense. Plus, the girl being a werewolf came out of left field.

The reason I hate it so much is because it was a Tim Burton movie and there is no excuse why it should have sucked at all, especially with Depp being in it. It should have been one of last year's best.

19. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

I would have enjoyed this film much more if I hadn't gotten hit with a bad case of Stomach Flu halfway through it making me miss the cruicial scene where Oz meets Glenda. And then I sat through the rest of it, but I was so drained after puking I just wanted it to end and the damn thing seemed to drag on forever.

This movie probably looks great and I'd probably really like it if I wasn't sick, as it stands that's coloring my entire perception of the film so hopefully I'll be able to sit through it again when I'm feeling worlds better and see what I missed and get a better feel for it.

The effects were really good though, the 3D was great. Even if I got a little nauseous during the opening credits.

I think I got more excited for the Jurassic Park 3D Preview though, which looks like they've done a bang up job transferring a film from film into the 3D process. (A hell of a lot better than Episode One's transfer looked honestly.)

20. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The Phantom Menace was in 3D?