Owners of both G Giant and Hercules? Which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by G.I.EDDIE, Oct 8, 2012.

?

Owners of both G Giant and Hercules. Which do you prefer?

1. I own both and prefer Giant

55 vote(s)
    26.4%
  2. I own both and prefer Hercules

46 vote(s)
    22.1%
  3. I do not own them both

107 vote(s)
    51.4%
  1. G.I.EDDIE

G.I.EDDIE Purple treads suck!

News Credits:
    IN HAND owners of both green Giant AND Hercules, which do you prefer?

Now that a lot of us have finally gotten our G Giants, and had time to handle both, I thought it'd be nice to get opinions on which you prefer...I've seen a lot of comments about some guys switching teams...wondering why...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For me, it's really hard to pick a clear winner...they both have their pros and cons...and before I go on listing my own review/opinions of them both, I thought I'd get the winners out of the way first...then, anyone who feels like reading my thoughts, can...

Stock - Green Giant takes it

Modified - Hercules wins by a mile

So why do I think this?...What is it about stock that Hercules bugs me so much to choose G Giant when I've been one of Hercs biggest fans?...one word (and many will not be surprised)

Purple

Purple f*@#ing EVERYWHERE on Hercules!...too much of it in places where it just looks out of place...Maketoys on the other hand did an awesome job of keeping the purple hidden as much as possible in alt and combined modes...it looks so much cleaner...Maketoys did this by painting the purple on where it's needed, where TFC just cast all their purple parts, and if it showed in combined mode, oh well, tough sh!t...

Another thing G Giant got right in stock mode is making the scoop on their Scavenger and the blade/plow on their Bonecrusher green...imagine that!...Hercules black pieces along with the mentioned abundance of purple really break him up too much...aesthetically, Hercs a mess...

G Giant also has a bulkier lower torso and it looks great...Hercules lower torso is much too narrow for his size...side by side, both GG and Herc have the same width torso...that's just wrong...as big and beefy as Herc is compared to GG, he shouldnt share a mid torso size, it should be larger...

GG also came with hazard striping...though some don't like it because red/white is the prominent color scheme, I think it goes a long way in adding to the construction theme of the set...but that's about the only difference between Herc and GG as far as paint apps go that I've noticed...which is weird since I've often heard many state that Giant is superior in that department...aside from the hazard stripes, I'm not seeing it...

Besides decos, there's also one other thing that makes GG superior to Herc...his ports and connection style for combining the bots together is outstanding!...in hand I really can see what everyone was raving about...it's such a beautiful design...simply pushing in buttons attaches and releases the limbs, no workout routine required...with Herc you sometimes (especially with the ROH set) have to use all your might to connect and disconnect the figures...it's downright scary!...

And while the ratchets on GG are nicer, and clicks between them are smaller and less sloppy than Hercs, I've found that they aren't any better at keeping GG from falling over...in fact, I've found GG topples easier than Herc...GGs feet are worse than Hercs hips at holding him up...Cement Mixers cab folds up as does Front Loaders bucket and he starts to fall over...and theres no ratchets there, just tension/friction which doesn't really do a good enough job...

Then there's GGs transformations...personally, I find them overly complex...and some of the points of articulation/transformation are insanely scary tight...on the verge of breaking when trying to force them into position...and GGs edges are all so sharp and pointy...couple that with the tight joints makes transforming GGs bot kinda painful honestly...

Really, I could go on and on (even more) comparing each set...why one is better than the other...Devastator is my fave TF, one i never had the pleasure of owning as a child, so i have very strong opinions about these two news sets...for me, it wasnt about which was taller, which had a better green or which was more G1...it all comes down to proportions for me...it always has...yes the deco is important, clearly, but that can be fixed...Hercs proportions are far superior IMO...and after some paint work, he shines, brightly!...he's a beast!...All in all, Hercules needs a lot of work to look better...in his unmodified stock configuration, he's just too messy...but with some love, he's beautiful...

GG, while VERY cool in his own right is too cluttered...I've always thought this...and I'm not really sure how to explain it...guess he's messy in his own way...if it wasn't for his crazy awesome packaging I probably wouldn't have gotten him at all...

Soooooo, anyway, what are your guys thoughts?

Also, couple more pics...I don't have any of Hercules in stock form :D 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Giant, all-around. Hercules pulls off combined mode pretty well, and he'd look a lot better with the enlarged Heavy Labor your proposed, but I find his other modes lacking.

3. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Overall, Herc. I don't like the bot modes for Giant, and outside gestalt mode, they all look flmisier and smaller. There's A LOT of display options for Herc that Giant couldn't possibly match up to.

One thing I do like about Giant though... is his combined mode. It does look pretty damn good.

If I do have to resort to selling one set or the other... Giant's gone. If I don't. Herc's members will be displayed in bot mode along my Decepticon army... and Giant will, of course, stand besides FP Bruticus.

4. ryanlb

ryanlb Well-Known Member

Where's the "I own both and can't decide which is better" option?

I don't have Giant yet, hoping it arrives tomorrow, but so far I'm expecting all the pros and cons of each to balance out such that I don't prefer one over the other.

5. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

I STILL own neither :( 

Want both!! They taunt me.

6. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    Giant and it isn't even close.

7. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I just hope people are honest and don't bump their one combiner without having both in hand to compare. I'm really interested in the results of this.

8. G.I.EDDIE

News Credits:
    Man up and choose :D 

Seriously...give it a week and mess with Giant...get a real feel for him...then see if you have a stronger opinion for one or the other...personally, I never expected to like Giant so much, but he has bright spots...though for me, it came to looks...

I know exactly what you're saying...wish people would be honest...but for some reason some people like to be d!cks just because...they never realize that sometimes there's a time and place for being a douche...and even worse, me just saying that will likely cause them to be even d!ckier...*shrugs*

9. DisappearingOne

DisappearingOne Well-Known Member

I didn't vote since I have Herc and YELLOW Giant, but I'll give my quick take based on what I've experienced anyways:

Vehicle modes are pretty much even. Both sets do what they need to do as construction vehicles. I like the fact that the Herc bots have extra little details like moving pistons and whatnot, but I also like the matte-like finish of the Giant bots which makes them look less toyish.

Individual bot modes goes to Herc. I think they look better and are just more fun to mess around with. The Giant bots are just too fiddly and awkward.

Combined mode also goes to Herc. I just have more fun messing with and posing Herc, and somehow he just looks more "right" on the shelf with the Decepticons. Giant, much like his individual bots, is just too fiddly. It bugs me how every time I try to move the arms the treads on the arms pop out of place.

So yeah, overall it's Herc. I just get more enjoyment out of it.

10. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Had both, sold herc and got giant. Much better overall.

11. philipjreed

philipjreed Well-Known Member

I prefer Hercules.

12. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Didn't vote since I don't have both in hand, but unless getting Hercules in hand somehow gives the individual bots ankle articulation, makes them look less blocky, gets rid of the bad color schemes, and makes the joints better, I'll still prefer Giant. Also I saw Hercules in person and I actually liked it less than when I saw it over the internet.

13. G.I.EDDIE

News Credits:
    I very much agree with this whole post, especially about the treads popping out in combined mode when moving Giants arms...

And the bot modes of the Giant set...the legs are quite sloppy...which is ironic because almost all of Giants other joints are crazy tight...

14. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Giant is more G accurate, but Hercules is just so much fun to transform. I can't leave it one mode for long, think they look great in all three modes and have very instinctive transformations. Herc gets the vote for me.

15. Compewtrawn

Compewtrawn Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    GI, your question is almost irrelevant to you, since you got both anyways! :) 

I think it is like chocolate or vanilla, both are great, better when together especially when you have the means to get both, which you had, and did!

I like the fact Herc has so many different options, heads, add-ons, etc. but I now have 3 Giants and 0 Hercs....soooo

16. SurlyJ

SurlyJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    3 giants? Holy hell boy that's a lot of toy!

17. Rodimus_Prime

Rodimus_Prime Protector

News Credits:
    I have both and I prefer Giant slightly. Although if I had your skill set to make Herc look like that I would go with Herc. Both have attributes that I like.

18. autobotsrollout

autobotsrollout Well-Known Member

I love both of them... my suggestion would be get Green Giant now... and save back money and get herc one member at a time. If you only get one, I would go with Giant.

19. Zyros

Zyros Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have both, but I just like playing with Herc more and I find it to be better engineered. Giant was just too skeleton + robot for me when it came to his arms and it turned me off from him.

20. Compewtrawn

Compewtrawn Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Might sell the one of the yellows, but not just yet :)