Ow. Pain.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tikgnat, Nov 8, 2006.

1. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So I went back to my first kung fu lesson in months last night.

I am wracked with pain... but what gets me the most is its was the beginner class I attended (gotta ease myself back in slowly), but the schools beginner class is still harder than most. I was alright for most of it, but my legs were cramping up half the time. Which is embarassing.

Buts its all for a good cause, I need to get in shape before I get married next year, and I reckon I'll be up to speed soon enough.

Same again tomorrow...

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    pain is the way of kung fu.

wacha!

3. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Neo: Whoa... I know Kung Fu...

4. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Pain is weakness leaving the body..

5. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    No pain, no gain. I learnt Karate-do (only brown 4) and I understand how it feels to be stretched to the max

But no kung fu can match the power of gun. *bang bang*

6. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Wrong. Kevlar Fu works well, especially then you learn it with AK-47 style.

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i can dodge bullets!

8. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    How come you went with Kung Fu?

If your primary goal is to get in shape, then it is a fun alternative to traditional workouts, but as a fighting style I question its effectiveness.

If its fun for you then it doesn't matter what I say, have a blast.

If you are looking for a good core for self defense and fighting techniques there are a lot of other programs to consider. Wrestling, Muy Thai Kickboxing, ju jitsu, and sambo for example.

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    maybe hes a 70s guy?

I HAVE KUNG FU GRIP!

10. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

When I started kung fu I was sore for the first couple of weeks too, then I learned to block, and then I showed em!!!!!

11. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

$5 says you watch MMA

12. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Yes, and I have a background in wrestling. There is a reason why you don't see any kung fu or karate guys in MMA. It has its place, you can learn a few techniques here and there, but as I said, there are other more effective methods in self defense.

The fights I had been in the past were neutralized pretty quickly with my wrestling background. The last fight I had, which was years ago, not one punch was thrown. Double leg take down, into side control. He didn't know what to do.

Last wrestling match I had was against someone who had about 5 inches on me and about 65 lbs heavier. Strong guy, but knew little about wrestling. I controlled him pretty well.

Not tooting my own horn, just trying to reiterate how effective these tools are, especially against someone who doesn't know how to properly defend themselves.

Most of the times fights end up on the ground, and rarely are they pretty. In kung fu and Karate competitions you have two participants who's goal is to showcase their skills, and not break away from that. In a fight, you get two people bum rushing each other and swinging wildly. It's hard to set up specific strikes against a loose cannon who is unpredictable.

13. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

I'm feeling pain after playing ice hockey for the first time since april. Yay!

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i recall jackie chan admitting as much, not about the ending up on the ground part, but they start and end almost immediately. no time for pretty moves and such.

15. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, thats the entire principle behind Bruce Lee's fighting, if the fight against one person goes on longer than 10 seconds, you're in trouble.

I've been doing Martial arts on and off for over 10 years, starting off with with Shotokan Karate, Wadaryu Karate, Muay Thai Kickboxing (with a touch of Wing Chun and Gojuryu Karate) and all the while doing various weapons, mainly the Nunchuku which I'm pretty good at. The Kung Fu I'm doing now is Shaolin, and its a very very difficult class physically, lots of stuff to get you to sweat, which is why I hurt so much right now.

Thing is, this class is good in that it really strenghens the body, before my hiatus I could pull stuff off that I wouldn't have thought possible. And yeah, some of it I'd not use in a fight, but the fact that I CAN do it means my conditioning is good which is to my advantage (Does that make sense? Hard to explain). Couple that with the advanced fight techniques we learn means everyone in the higher classes is a very effective fighter, they dominate all the full contact comps over here, and have even gone to China to fight in their events.

Here's an amusing anecdote, years ago the schools head teacher snuck out of the Shaolin Temple to participate in the all China Sanshao (freestyle martial arts) competition. This is a competition that covers any disipline from ANYONE throughout China. Which is a lot of people. When he got back he got his ass kicked twice because a) he went AWOL without permission, and b) he came second, and really he should have won.

16. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    oh those naughty shaolin monks.

they shouldve stuck to soccer.

17. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Wow tikgnat, sounds like you have a lot of experience. Those classes sound fun. Conditioning is huge. I agree with you. Participating in those martial arts, regardless of their effectiveness in a real fight, improves conditioning greatly, so you would have an advantage.

I made a deal with my wife last year that if my kidney condition ended up being fairly minor, that I would get to join Judo. However if it was more serious, I promised we would join ball room dancing. Unfortunately I lost. Fortunately, I don't think she remembers the deal.

18. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    ive heard you can take out ppl with ballroom dancing too.

19. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hey, Bruce Lee was HK's Cha cha dance champion! He took classes to meet girls!

20. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    dude that reminds me of that bruce lee biopic! whatshisname who then played mowgli and bad guy from soldier was awesome.

one two cha cha cha