Overwatch - a multiplayer shooter by Blizzard

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gordon_4, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    1v1Mystery Duel is an excellent way to learn other characters.

2. harveydent

harveydent Unknown Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Looks like Hybrid Style Prime has some Year of the Cock competition, Overwatch just announced their Year of the Rooster event. January 24, 2017, one week from now!

Overwatch on Twitter
    [​IMG]

And the Korean announcement has D.Va's new legendary skin, just in time for the nerf!

오버워치 on Twitter
    [​IMG]

And there's a good chance Winston will get a Sun Wukong/Money King skin
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd say 6v6 Mystery Heroes is a better start. You're just going to get outplayed going in blind, and Mystery Heroes lets you learn the maps and their objectives as well. Queue times on Mystery Heroes are a lot better as well.

The advantage of going Mystery over just plain quick match is that over time, you'll be forced to try out all the characters at least once. When the choice is left up to you, you may either gravitate towards a specific character archetype, or avoid others thinking you won't be good at them, but Mystery Heroes is a blank slate, and you generally won't get chewed out by your teammates for sub-optimal picks or bad plays.

The only disadvantage to Mystery Heroes is that, until you get the hang of survivability, you probably won't be getting much practice with Ultimate usage.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  4. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dammit I've had Yeti for less than a month, don't tell me I already have to shelf it.

5. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

Someone on Reddit pointed out that those skins were being worn by D.Va and Mei in the Winter Wonderland tree decoration sprays, so the rest of those sprays might indicate what else there could be.

6. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

Got 3000 gold to get whatever I don't manage to get this time. Helllooooo new D.Va

7. koonfasa

koonfasa Well-Known Member

IS this game like Shadowrun? I loved that game.

8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Oh my god. Reinhardt in a Yodeling outfit.

Almost makes me want it more than Mei's New Year's skin. Almost.

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm a little shy at ~2550, but getting the rest shouldn't be hard since all I get in loot boxes anymore are duplicates. I also assume that I'll get the Mei skin on the first draw again, like I did last time after saving up for her Christmas legendary.

10. biscuits

Just remember not to spend any coins until the last day of the event.

11. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

for sure! I want that D.Va skin which makes her nerf all the more painful :lol 

12. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Still bit me in the ass. Winter Wonderland was supposed to end on Jan. 2, so I just bought all my skins the night before because my Brawl freebies weren't going to reset until the evening of the 2nd (and the Halloween event ended like, 2 hours early reportedly, so I didn't want to risk it), and I didn't think I had enough time during the day to grind out levels the long way. Turns out WW continued well into the early morning hours of the 3rd, and I managed to grind out another level and two more brawl boxes. Decides to drop Pharah's skin, that I had just bought "last minute". Of course.

Not at all. Overwatch is a team-based multiplayer FPS. Zero RPG elements, and player progression systems are purely cosmetic.

13. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

I'm liking the comments characters make when they're on certain maps;
    (Route 66)
    McCree: "Doesn't feel right coming back here."/"I wouldn't drink the coffee. Always tasted like boiled dirt." Some reminiscence from McCree, musing on his past and all, very nice.
    Reaper: "Right. This is where I picked up the damn ingrate." Reaper's still salty about his protégé turning his back on him.
    76: "Reyes should have cleaned up the Deadlock gang a long time ago." And 76 is also salty.

(Hollywood)
    Winston: "You know, they asked me to be in a movie once." Yeah, probably so they could get a gorilla without the whole 'is an animal/needs a handler' issue.
    D.Va: "This is my kind of city! Lights, camera, action!" D.Va's excited, and she was in fact in a movie. Pro-gamer, war hero, worldwide idol and now movie star; is there anything she can't do?

oh, fun fact; D.Va's co-star, the omnic Thespian 4.0, is also in another film, the one with the omnics dressed up like ladies.

(Eichenwalde)
    Reinhardt: "This is the hometown of my master, Balderich! He was born here!... and he died here..." One of the very, very few times when Reinhardt is legitimately sombre. Poor guy. D.Va is similarly sombre when she sees what's gone down here.

Which reminds me; it's absolutely adorable that Reinhardt is a fanboy for D.Va. Amidst all his knightly gallavaning, this old war veteran takes the time to watch the new hero streaming her games, her missions, and he's clearly impressed with her skill. It's refreshing to have the old guard not be sulky and jealous of the newcomers but in fact be admiring of them.

14. koonfasa

Thanks, but I meant this fps shooter on the Xbox.
    Shadowrun (2007 video game) - Wikipedia

It was a fantastic Counter Strike style with tech and magic trees instead of specific characters. Each round would earn cash to build up a specific tech tree, but very team focused like this sounds.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  15. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's no real stat advancement in Overwatch. Every character has their abilities fully unlocked from the start. The only thing to unlock are cosmetics.

16. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Yeah, was pretty sure that was the one you were talking about, and not the full-blown RPG ones. But point still stands: zero RPG elements whatsoever.

17. koonfasa

Sorry, wasn't referring to the tech tree I mean the gameplay, where each character ended up quite different after a few rounds. You could be a teleporter or glider or healer or force field guy etc. and quite different from one another. I think the battles were ctf with less respawning.

The advancement was real short but once you got what you wanted that was when the real fun began.

18. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

I mean, just YouTube a match and see? :lol 

19. biscuits

This is far too good.

"Wrestle with Jeff prepare for death"

20. koonfasa

Oh yeah! I don't YouTube very much if at all.

Just tried but it's quite overwhelming and haven't played sci fi shooters since Halo. Figured someone mighta tried both.

Out a year though, and I'd be a year behind...

Wait I did give battlefront a good go.