Oversupply of Reissue Seacons

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Big Filipino, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Big Filipino

Big Filipino John 3:16-17 says it all

News Credits:
    So I've been thinking about picking up the set of "exclusive" reissue Seacons from BBTS. When I checked their supply, they had a little over 1800 remaining! Taking into account the fact that other retailers currently or will be selling this set as well, I have to believe that the price of this set is going to come down.

So my question is two fold: how much cheaper can this set get and when do you think they start marking them down?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  2. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

They are shelf - warming everywhere in Singapore.

3. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

They really do overestimate the popularity of those old Combiners.

4. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I think there was a decent chance of this being in demand. Since it is one of the later 80s releases, there were likely fewer "in the wild" purchased at the time of original release. I think I got around $60 for my original Snaptrap (complete) and one limb.

5. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    I'd pay $40 at retail or with reasonable shipping. I'm not saying it *should* be $40, or that it is only worth $40... just what I personally would pay.

6. Black Omega

Black Omega Commander Panda Prime

It's too bad that BBTS has so many sitting in the warehouse like that. If it is shelfwarming for BBTS then the chance of other combiners being an exlcusive (provided the molds still exists) are very slim. But the deco on the Seacon reissue is amazing in my book. I picked up the set from BBTS for the later arrival price and have thoroughly enjoyed my set. And quite frankly $60 is still alot cheaper than any top condition vintage set. So if you are on a budget and want the Seacons I'd get them. It may be quite a while before BBTS even considers clearancing them out anyways.

7. Manok

Manok Well-Known Member

i want a set but am waiting for the price to come down. It will eventually.

8. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    BBTS over estimated the demand on this combiner. I'd say he's one of the least popular ones out there. This also doesn't bode well for future BBTS/Hasbro exclusives.

They'll certainly be discounted. As for when, who knows.

9. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

When it's discounted for $40 or cheaper I will get myself a 2nd Piranacon. Having a complete G1 combiner already gives me the luxury to wait for the price to come down.

10. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I know that an original Piranhacon is expensive, but the reissue is just that - a reissue. It's the same size as any of the energon/classics combiners, and should've been priced the same. $35-$40 would have been a fair price IMO.

11. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I wasn't aware the BBTS.com site allowed buyers to check the inventory numbers on the sites items.

the main problem why the BBTS.com seacons are not selling that well. is because about 2,000/3,000 fans already bought the TCC Club seacons gift sets.

the toy packaging is probably the second reason. as it's very tiny & looks like the gestalt was squeezed in their with little room to breathe.

12. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's easy to check. Add a huge amount of any given figure to your cart (like 10k), and it will automatically adjust itself to the maximum number of figures they have in stock.

From what I've gathered, G1 reissues in general don't sell. Only collectors buy them, and not all collectors at that (I for one don't buy G1 toys - original or reissued).

13. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually, there is not an overestimation of demand. Hasbro was not willing to produce these unless there was a minimum order. BBTS knew that it would not be able to sell out the entire order but made up for the amount that it would not sell by charging $60 instead of the $50 MSRP. Instead of scalping as some people accused, the $10 price increase means that BBTS only has to sell out 84 out of every 100 produced to make the same profit. Factor in any money BBTS made from its early bird pre-sale and they are doing just fine.

On the flip side. As long as BBTS is doing fine I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the prices of these guys around Christmas. But I doubt it will go lower then $45-$50 for the next couple months.

ASIDE: BBTS's pricing strategy begs the question as to whether they would have made more of a profit charging $50 instead of $60. The only way they could have made the same profit is if they had sold out everything at the $50 price point. I have to agree with the pricing strategy they ended up going with in this case, sell it higher to the must haves and then clearance out the rest later.

14. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Well the choice of the Seacons also seems like a poor decision. Didn't TCC have a Seacons set that also shelf warmed?

15. Big Filipino

Big Filipino John 3:16-17 says it all

News Credits:
    Actually the TFCC Seacons sold out fairly fast. It was the Nightbeats that shelf warmed for a bit.

As for the BBTS Seacons, I'll prob wait until they drop to $40 before I buy them.

16. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The TCC seacons were the first club exclusives to sell out and they were charging three times the amount BBTS is.

17. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the fandom had a lot to do with it as well. The TCC set sold out in record time. Before the reissue, the Seacons always commanded top dollar on the secondary market. And there were too many posts to count stating the desire for a reissue set. With that said, had BBTS/Hasbro released this set in a G1 accurate giftset, I personally believe the sets would already be near a sell out. If not sold out already.

18. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    I've been ogling the set since day one, but haven't been able to bring myself to buy it. If the price (already extremely fair) drops any I might have to go for it.

19. Tarma

Tarma Metal Slug

As with any production run there is always going to be a minimum amount the manufacturer will be willing to produce for it to be worthwhile for them, and for the wholesale price to be attractive enough for the buyers.

I'd dearly love to know the cost price for a production run on the molds, as the packaging part of the equation will cost pennies to produce...

Anyways, I think the issue with the Seacon set is that outside of the enthusiast community not many people know that it is available, and also, I don't think the Seacons are that popular. Would BBTS still have 1,800 sets still in stock if the release had been an exclusive of the Constructicons?

:2c: 

20. Cornholiocon

Cornholiocon Up the irons!

Completely agree.
    I've only gotten back into collecting G1 TF's about a year ago so I was really happy when this reissue was announced and made available. I also think the overall quality's great (other than the fact I hate pre-applied stickers) and think it was well worth the $60 from BBTS. I'd be shocked if the set's price doesn't ultimately get marked down but I don't think it's a travesty to pay the current price if you want one sooner rather than later.