Overrated Underrated 2011

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Waverider, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Just like last year, what 2011 TF toys do you feel that's overrated and underrated. This can be Hasbro, Takara-Tomy or third party products.

Remember there's a difference between toys that are you feel that is overrated/underrated and toys you like/hate.

I'll start.

Overrated

Amazon Exclusive Unicron: He's like Predaking to me. It's cool to look at but that's about it. I bought them multiple times and I end up getting rid of it. This is an example of bigger is not always better.

TF Prime Deluxe Arcee: It's not a bad figure. It's just OK. I guess I bought into the hype.

Underrated

DOTM Cyberverse Sentinel Prime: To me this is a fun figure to transform back and forth. The engineering is great for it's size.

HA Basic Backfire(Daredevil Squad): This is an great repaint that comes packed with the repaint of the Canon Bumblebee mold. What I like about it is not only that you can interact it with the HA human(Sam). But it's also a Targetmaster. Having the original figure, I like this pain scheme better.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  2. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I so agree with your statement about Amazon.com's Unicron. I think it looks like crap actually when comparing it to the 2010 Takara version.

Another over-rated figure is also TFP Arcee like you said. She isn't a bad figure and is actually neat but she's not "OMG SUPER COOL FIGURE!" good.

For an under-rated figure, DOTM Laserbeak seems to suffer. Yes, he has inaccurate eye balls but he's very poseable and creepily menacing in looks as well and the only flaw if his alt. mode, that hover-thingy.

3. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    Overrated:
    Revoltech Movie Prime: floppy, expensive, not nearly as cool as I thought it would be
    Windcharger: Does a lot and not much at the same time. Kind of hard to explain. Not a bad toy, just WAY overrated after the craze to find him

Underrated:
    DotM HA Reverb: Seriously the best of the new HA figures. This dude does some GREAT stuff and looks great doing it.
    DotM Deluxe Optimus Prime: GREAT toy coming out of the overloaded explosion of Primes we got this year.

4. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Explosions?

News Credits:
    Underrated:
    DotM Deluxe Bumblebee - there are way too many, but he is a good figure.

Overrated:
    DotM Deluxe Crankcase - a disappointing, floppy, shell-forming mess.

5. neevnav

neevnav The Flying Dutchman

News Credits:
    I know I'm going to be alone on both of these but...

Underrated: DOTM Voyager Ironhide. Despite the chest and the arm issues, I think it is much improved upon the previous voyagers, and the alt mode is far more accurate.

Overrated: DOTM Leader Ironhide. far too simple for a Leader, arm cannons are too small, and the alt mode has way to much kibble sticking out.

6. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

Underrated: Generations Straxus (or Darkmount, or whatever). A very cool homage to a great character, with tons of extra little guns, etc. to play with and plenty of places to clip them. Super cool.

Overrated: TRU MP Rodimus. Scalpers couldn't buy these fast enough, but the joke is on them b/c they are still shelf-warming in many TRU stores.

7. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Overrated

RTS Windcharger. This toy got way, way, WAY too much hype. This was clearly a product of the "gotta catch 'em all" syndrome.

Underrated

DOTM Leader Class Bumblebee. I know, I know "Wut?! It'Z anutha Bumblebee?! Arghh!" This figure is awesome. It's a beefed up BB with fairly accurate paint apps and it doesn't suffer from an electronic gimmick that is BUILT INTO the figure. Way underrated.

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Overrated

- MP Rodimus - Way too many engineering problems for a figure that's supposed to be a "Masterpiece". I felt ripped off paying ~$60 for the TRU-exclusive US release, I can't imagine how I'd feel if I'd laid out $200 for the Takara version of this piece of crap.
    - RtS Windcharger - It's not a bad figure, but there's nothing really outstanding about it either. I think if it hadn't been so difficult to find, this figure would just be regarded as an average, unremarkable Scout.

Underrated

- HA Basics - While not all of the figures are perfect, as a group, they've been one of my favorite Movie sublines. For Scout-sized figures, they're surprisingly versatile and many of them can assume fan-modes beyond the robot-weapon-vehicle trio described in the instructions. Unfortunately, they seem to be shelfwarming virtually everywhere I look.

9. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    Gotta agree about the HA basics as a whole. I've loved almost every one I've gotten.. only Backfire was disappointing to me.. I think the big problem with them is that none of them were in the movies, so kids pass on 'em and none of 'em are G1 homages so collectors ignore 'em.

10. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

Overrated
    HA Basics-Every single one I've purchased has left me completely underwhelmed.

Underrated
    DOTM Leader Bumblebee-A fun toy that isn't hindered by unnecessary electronics because they're removable! He looks good in both modes and has a pretty fun transformation to boot!

11. depthcharge82

depthcharge82 Maximal

underrated : Dotm dlx Bumblebee,Dotm Barricade, and Dotm dlx Thunder Cracker

Overrated:Hercules

12. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    Overrated

All of Cyberverse. I can understand why kids would love them, but personally I don't get all the love when most toys have a vastly superior version at larger class sizes.

Underrated

I'll say HA Basic Reverb too. The vehice mode is strange but the robot mode is one of the best from the entire DoTM line regardless of size class.

13. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Overrated: RTS Windcharger. The only G1 character I've just looked at and gone 'meh.'

Underrated: HA Basics. So versatile and very charming for what they are. Definitely not for everyone, but really impressive for their size class.

Cyberfire Bumblebee. Yeah, I know he gets a lot of love on the boards, but he shelfwarms enough around the local stores that I have to mention him. I mean, he's pure evil in plastic form, and yet he's still 'another BB repaint.' It's sad, really.

14. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Overrated:
    Prime arcee, animated prowl did that transformation better, and no kibble. still like it, but not as much as prowl

Underrated
    MP-10 so many comments that it wasn't needed, but turned out to be one of the best figures for the year imo

RTS Windcharger, people over-hyped themselves, then when they get him are disappointed. he's great for a scout (but then again, i had him right when he was released with no issue or extra cost, so no time to get hyped.) he's close to the animation, nicely articulated, decent transformation

15. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Overrated:
    All of the TFC Hercules figures. I also think Takara Unicron is overrated. It doesn't look that much better than the much cheaper Amazon version, if at all. I think people are overhyping some of the TFP figures as well.

Underrated:
    I think WFC Soundwave is a bit underrated because everyone loves ML Soundwave so much.

16. Nope

Nope Predacon

News Credits:
    Overrated: All of those Third-Party figures, DotM Crankcase, and RTS Windcharger
    Underrated: DotM Legions Ratchet, DotM Darksteel (represent), and all of the Kre-O sets

17. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Over rated
    Windcharger. I only bought one because he was 4.99. Not bad but not amazing

Under rated
    Deluxe dotm Optimus prime. More accurate then the u.s voyager and in size scale with voyager megatron, shockwave and sentinel prime.

All cyberverse. IMO 10X better than mech tech. Good amount of paint apps. No pointless weapons and battle bases.

18. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Overrated
    Fansproject insecticons: I brought shrapnel and gave up. It really wasn't as good as I thought they would be.

Underrated
    All of this years' masterpiece figures. Is it me or do people just over critize these figures? I love MPO9 and MP10, easily my best purchases of the year.

19. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

Overrated: HA Basics. I really can't get excited about them. Much like the PCC 2 pack Commanders, all I see is a somewhat overpriced, glorified Scout because of an extra. Only in this case, the extra is Captain Nobody instead of a Mini-Con that potentially could be good in its own right.

Generations/Reveal the Shield in general. Don't get me wrong, many of these figures are good, but they ended up getting hyped up to crazy levels simply because the later waves were a little hard to find for like a couple of months.

Underrated: DOTM Leader Sentinel Prime. People complain about how complex he is. While not necessarily untrue, Sentinel Prime is still a very cool and regal toy.

Fansproject Causality bugs. Thundershred, Stormbomb, and Backfiery don't seem to get much notice. A shame, as these three are pretty nice if you don't mind paying roughly $50 each for roughly Deluxe size figures.

20. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    Amazon Unicron isn't really as good as it was hyped up to be.
    Thunderwing on the other hand is a pretty awesome toy in spite of the simple transformation!