Overheard In The Toy Store....

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Dormamu, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Some more memorable quotes I've heard lately:

*Names have been changed to protect the masses...

Wal-mart - 11:30 PM - Purchasing 25th Anniversary OP
    Underpaid Jane-Checkout Clerk: "Wow....80 bucks for 3 items? That's an expensive toy....ooooh...is that a Transformer! Those are so cool"

Target - 2:30 PM - Looking for Wave 3 Animated figures
    Harried Lady - Oh, how about this one? (Looking at the large Talking Bumblebee figure)
    Her Mother - Oh, thats good. You think Johnny* would like it?
    Lady - Well, it makes noise, and its the one he mentioned...
    Mother - Well, what about these over here? (looking at the Activators)
    Lady - But...it moves and stuff, but isn't supposed to turn into something?
    Mother - Well.....
    Lady pressing the buttons....
    Me to Lady - Um...just so you know...it doesn't transform.
    Lady - Oh, really? Oh..... (rushes over to the Mother and then keeps looking at the activators)

I just find moments like these priceless......Anyone else have the same experience?

2. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    Yeah, but I actually persuade them to get the wrong item.

every once in a while at least.

Why? Because I'm evil.:p 

3. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    During Christmas last year, a confused mother was looking for some figures (Movie Voyager Ratchet and Prime). The Target we were at was out of Movie Voyager Prime, except for the one in my hand. I just gave it to her.

Kids having stuff to play with on Christmas outweighs me being inconvenienced on buying it later.

4. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

i was checking out transformers at wal-mart one time,the isle was empty like i like it.then i look over and theres this little kid standing next to me.i mean little.he looked like a walking baby or something.i look over at the end of the isle and his dad is pacing back and forth awkwardly waiting for him.it was wierd.

5. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Yes you are. You're like a little evil transforming Yoda. :wink: 

Joking! Really!

6. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Awesome. :thumbs2: 

7. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I made the mistake of trying to help a woman with her kid. Kid was screaming at a movie BB (old camaro) and she was looking it over. It was on clearance, but I told her what i had learned here about the hood issues (the kid was really young) and she said but it was cheap.
    She said thanks, but knew how to tell if a toy will break.

The only way i can tell is by finding loose parts rolling around or you guys talk about it.

8. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yes with joes and TFs. its all ways nice to hear or be asked why you buy them.

9. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have several stories. One of them was when the live action movie came out on DVD. So, I went off to Wal-Mart to pick up myself a copy. I ran into a lady that was about 60 years old. She was browsing through the copies and trying to decide which one to get her grandsons. None of the employees would help her but she saw my arm to grab a copy. She asked me about the differences between the various versions of the movie. I went into some detail about them with her. She thank me then I walked out with my purchase without knowing that down the road, I would run into her again. Before Thanksgiving, I got myself a figure from the toy aisle then went to pay for it. As I was doing a self check-out, I saw her not as a customer but as an employee. She saw me and recognized me instantly and thank me again. As I was leaving, she asked on which figures should she get for her grandsons. I asked about what age are they so I was able to recommend some figures. She took my advice and gave the exact ones that I recommended and her grandsons loved them. She told me that I am the most informed customer that she has ever met.

In June of this year, (I was in my old region) I was on my way to the airport but TRU was nearby so I thought about stopping by. A mother and a son about 7 years old were shopping in the TF aisle. They were shopping for the other son and a birthday gift for a friend. They were trying to figure out which movie figure to get for 3 boys and they did not have a ton of money. They saw me shopping and asked if I had any advice. I gave some on which figures might be good for certain age groups. Eventually the three of sparked into a conversation. During the conversation, the mother asked which lines are coming up and when. I explained about the Animated and the Classics lines. At the end of all of this, the kid handed me a Premium Movie Jazz as a gift of kindness. What was funny....I was looking for one. I accepted the figure and thank him.

10. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

i was checking out behind this women who had bought alot of party supplies(i assume for a party)and she saw bulkhead and bumblebee and asked if they were gifts for someone.

i replied,"no no,theyr for me."with a sigh.
    she acted kinda embarrased shed asked.

11. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

That's awesome.

Screwing people over is mighty fun!

12. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    When I bought my wolverine TF I had a discussion with the woman at the register. She asked me (assuming correctly that it was for me) if I was going to open it. I told her that I thought it was a waste to leave toys in their packaging. Apparently she agreed because she told me about how her daughter received a nascar barbie and wasn't allowed to open it and that she thought it would be torture for a kid. I agreed, thanked her and left with my awesome wolverine.

13. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In the run up to last Christmas i overheard someone complaining how Transformers are not as durable as they used to be, and how they've become much smaller. According to them the original Prime was 4 times the size of the Voyager class Movie version.

14. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Way back when Alt Swindle was on shelves I ran into a guy at TRU (I think this was around the end of energon, as we were talking about the combiners) and he ended up telling me how he scalped Power Rangers. It was a bit unnerving.

I wonder if they were thinking of Powermaster Prime.

15. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

LOL!

Was thinking the same thing.

Recently my step-father got a Transformers invitation to his 5 year old grandson's (the son of a step bro I never see) so he decided to buy him Transformer related toys. It turns out, he bought some wierd remote control generic foam flying robot thing, and an add on set to the newest power rangers Megazord. When I told my parents that, they decided to run back to the store that night, taking me with them, to get actual transformers. I ended up picking out Roll Out and Command Prime and some non-transforming animated BB that rolls around and makes noises. Apparently the kid ending up liking them so it all worked out. :lol 

16. n_tel_ekt

n_tel_ekt Wreaker

Clerk: For the kids?

Me: Nope, for me.

Clerk: ORLY?

Me: Yep, I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toy R Us kid...

Clerk: This is Walmart

Me: Touche!

:lolol 

17. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Last Christmas season at Walmart, there were some parents shopping for their little boy and came across the DVD anniversary Prime.

Mom: How about this one? He likes Optimus Prime, right? I wonder how much it is...

Me: Excuse me, I think that guy is like sixty bucks or so.

Mom: Really?! Forget that, my kid's not worth THAT much!

18. goestron

goestron Well-Known Member

Haha that's funny. I feel the same exact way about Bigmacs. When I was a kid I would always eat a Bigmac by myself. Then I stopped going to McDonalds for years, until my teenage years. Then I ordered one and found out finally small they were.

Long story short, when your a kid, everything is 4 times bigger.

19. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Me at TRU in 2002 when the G1 reissues just came out (I didn't know about them, I wasn't a collector up until then): HOLY *#$! - this is the Optimus Prime I had when I was a kid! I have to get it.

A 10-year old kid next to me: That is pretty cool, what's it do?

Me: It changes from a truck to a robot

Kid: That's it? Does it light up or make sounds?

Me: No.

Kid: That's no fun.

20. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    When I picked up RID Scourge I was heading out of the isle to go to the register and I head a kid telling his mother I grabbed the last one and that was what he wanted. She said something about finding his one some other time. I remember feeling kinda bad and at the same time going hahahaha it all mine lol.