Overall thoughts on Fall of Cybertron? My review...

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Unicron9, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

I'm sure most of you have played this through, but I'll be sure to only put the spoilers in the last paragraph. I just want to say what I think of this game and get opinions from you guys... hopefully opinions with more depth then what amounts to "Its the new Transformers game so its great!!"

I can respect what High Moon went for by making a more epic and cinematic campaign mode, but at the cost of losing campaign co-op, character selection, and getting a shorter campaign?... Nope. Not a trade I would have made by choice.
    Having loved War for Cybertron, I really hoped Fall would take things to the next level in every way they could, but instead we lose quite a bit and gain surprisingly little in this sequel. It feels to me more like an expansion of WFC then a whole new game worth $65. Instead of a longer campaign with more bots to play as, tighter ground vehicle control, alt modes that no longer bounce like pinballs off most surfaces and other characters, and a cover system, we just get a weapon upgrade system and some fun single button activated events.
    Supposed powerhouse bots like even Optimus die from just a few shots.
    The amount of TFTM references actually got old... even to me!
    Serious unnecessary G1 story changes were written in.
    And for all the talk about the greatly improved multiplayer, its almost exactly the same but with a few new weapons, no more grenades or weapons from fallen enemies (making it a pain to level classes with starting weapons you dislike), only 1 special ability per class, and no kill streak bonuses such as intercooler, orbital beacon, health matrix, or the BFG (instead you find those as powerups in levels).
    I realize the scout class can get an emp grenade for his special ability and there are a few hidden power-ups in the MP levels, but overall I feel like Multiplayer is just more of the same but with a few tweaks and a few things missing.

SPOILER TIME!
    I'm totally cool with a better story for the Dinobots, but did they seriously outright kill Sludge before he even became a dinobot??
    I figured Trypticon was down but not out for good after his defeat in WFC, but then in FOC Megatron has him rebuilt into the nemesis ship... Is that okay?
    Optimus and Megatron weren't even in the ark as it went through the portal. Lots of the original G1 Season 1 autobots weren't seen on the ark or even in the game, such as Prime's second in command, Prowl. I smell even more extreme changes to the G1 story in the next game...
    Dinobot Slag is now renamed to... Slug (for unavoidable reasons, but uugh), and 2 Insecticons got renamed too.

Anyway I'm playing the game Multiplayer and all, trying to get my moneys worth out of it, but a lot just didn't sit well with me. I expected much better.

2. Driftveil

Driftveil You find me offensive

Get outta here.

I for one liked most of what the game had to offer, and my gripes are minuscule.

3. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    aw, seriously? he actually died?

4. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can't say I disagree on many points.

Overall it's a servicable and good game... but to me it's way too short.

They fix some problems here and there... but bring forth newer ones. The hand-switching is a novel idea, and actually quite useful. Having a single special ability can be a bit lame... seeing the previous had two sets in some cases. Difficulty in the game lies in some segments where the enemies get *really* bursty. Like, you're doing smoothly one second, then out of the blue, shotgunners and *dead*.

The best segments also proved to be quite short, barring the lengthy Grimlock sequence. Bruticus's level, for example, was very short, esp when half the level was really Swindle blowing stuff up. Cliff's level felt short, and the amusing take on stealth with Starscream was *very* short. Jazz' level was an ok length I guess. Definitely a favorite level of mine.

Shame the tech added for new abilities is limited to just campaign too... they could've made challenge maps utilizing said characters... or special Escalation modes for Grimlock and/or Bruticus.

The Disc-Locked Content peeves me off quite a bit. Sure it's most likely a call from their douche-bag publishers Activision... but really... all the MP skins are on the disc, waiting a 10$ string of characters to "enable" them. I can understand the small preorder incentives like G1 Prime for example, but this is bull. I won't be buying any FoC DLC unless it's legitimate DownLoadable Content and not Disc-Locked.

With regards to MP atm... the customization isn't nearly as improved as they touted. At the end of the day, your alt modes are a very small predefined set of vehicles mapped to whatever torso you're using. You have what, five parts to choose from, and they're based on a small set of premade characters. Gotta say it's annoying to even see the Locked models when browsing through the sets, nothing like a good misclick to be bothered with a message to go to the PSN store. *smh*

Also... Shockwave tortured the living crap out of Sludge... and assumed he died. Jazz comments that Sludge was in stasis when he found him. Granted the whole zone being filled with that toxic waste probably would make it even more unlikely that this Dinobot will ever go anywhere though... =(

The plot being drastically different is because they're trying to follow that so-called Aligned continuity... which is a guide line for what they want newer franchises to follow. Also yields to confusion as it's been suggested or forced by Hasbro that WFC/FoC and Prime are apart of the same continuity, rather than based on it.

5. mrcaino9

mrcaino9 Leakin' Lubricants!!!

^^^This... I had such high hopes for this game & expected much better given all the hype. HMS said they took out campaign co-op & character selection to make the bots & there new abilities more stage pacific (meaning: imo, these abilities would be really vital in getting through the chapter)... not so, there's bots like jetfire & BumbleBee who don't even have abilities... Prime himself lacks the ability to play as Metroplex in the 2nd & last mission... he only controls him in the 3rd. Even Grimlock's ability isn't a special, it's just his transformation into a robotic t-rex... but don't get me wrong, Grim's is mad fun to play with as well as Jazz... who actually has the most useful ability in game (the most fun is that boss fight with Bruticus, luv that)... but these moments are rare, there aren't many memorable boss fights, to many seriously short chapters, you play as soundwave... whose actually playable twice & both times are extremely short (maybe 6 minutes altogether) wtf!!! Multiplayer feels so empty to me without the vehicle abilities & killstreaks... although, we got better customization with the robot parts, it was at the expense of better gameplay i think. Escalation only goes to wave 15, has pre-selected items & teams of 4 inwhich you can't swap out... and playing alone is now suicide. HMS promised us so much but gave us so little... all that talk about FOC being some spiritual successor to WFC (it's not a sequel) we did this for balancing reasons to everything Bullsh*t anger's the hell out of me. We, the true transformers fans believed all this because we believed in High Moon... some still do... but after this title & TF-DOTM, i see the light. Thanks HMS for giving us the best Transformers game ever made... and that's still (War For Cybertron) imo.

6. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I've been playing, and I can't help feeling like it's WFC all zazzed up but with some of the freedom removed. It's feeling like a step backwards. Admittedly I'm pretty early in the campaign, but I'm already noticing how the "stage specific" stuff is bunk. I'm getting a DotM vibe with the campaign, and that is *NOT* good.

I'm going to keep at escalation, but as a veteran of that mode in WFC my experience so far in FoC is that the developers really didn't understand what made the mode fun and why people still play it. They limited choice.

7. mrcaino9

^^^U R correct sir.

8. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Phew... I'm glad I'm not alone here.

Seems High Moon's head got too big after the success of WFC and they instantly went for the sellout, trying to further copy Call of Duty with its quicker dying, short campaign, and focus on balanced and extensive multiplayer. Maybe they thought they were running with the biggest of dogs, and lost sight of the good direction they were heading in the process.

Yeah man after FOC and the obviously rushed and uninspired DOTM, its hard not to think that WFC was a fluke success that only rocked our balls off because Transformers has so much video game potential and HMS finally actually tapped into it. Maybe choosing to copy the Gears of War (but not quite as good) gameplay style was just a great start they lucked out on. I sure don't think they improved much from there on.

9. mrcaino9

It's funny, i've read reviews that say FOC's story is better than War's...

the same story that doesn't explain how BumbleBee lost his voice?

the same story that ends with a really lame cliffhanger, going through the portal to earth (maybe), going to mars Total Recall style (maybe), who knows?

the same story that killed Sludge in his game debut before any Dinobot is rescued or even playable... HMS really didn't know what to do with this poor guy huh?

the same story that played (Stan Bush - The Touch) during ending credits, it made better sense to play it during Megs & Primes soul calibur sword fight... that's right, A SWORD FIGHT... no axe, no mace?

I've seen this game get a score of 9/10... when it actually deserves only 7/10 (imo). Look, I grew up loving these characters just like everybody on this site but i refuse to give a money hungry game company credit that it has not earned or deserves just cause i'm a fanboy of the franchise.

10. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    I'll start by saying that Fall of Cybertron is a pretty good game. Is it better than War for Cybertron? No, not at all. But is it a bad game? No way, it's far from being bad. Just...not as good compared to War for Cybertron.

War for Cybertron as a game felt more complete. At the end, we got a satisfying ending with an ending narration that teased us into the sequel. This is an important part of story telling that I feel is important...it gives that chapter a sense of completion while still keeping it open for the next chapter. With this in mind, I felt Fall of Cybertron's ending was truly lacking. The action was GREAT and I loved the character vignettes...but then it just ended. The cutscene was over, and then it was the credits roll. Compared to War for Cybertron when we got some narration that prepared us for the second game, in this game we got nothing. No sense of real closure. I know that you can try argue that if you wanted closure by G1 or something, but games should be self contained. There SHOULD have been some closure.

I thought that the best way to do this was have Optimus say something like this:

"The civil war on Cybertron has left us devastated. But the space bridge has given us a new opportunity, a new chance to save our dying planet. Wherever we go, we must be vigilant against the return of Megatron and the Decepticons, who would desire nothing more than our total destruction."

It would be great because, as I said, it adds much needed closure, and it teases us into the next chapter of the Transformers saga, which happens on Earth.

Storywise, the game is fast pace and a lot happens at once. It's a double edged sword. On one hand, rushing through the six days gives it a real sense of urgency. The Ark needs to launch NOW, and the way the plot is driven it really does put in that sense of urgency. However, it also means that many parts of the game feel too short, such as the Bruticus parts, and some parts feel too long, like the Cliffjumper stealth parts. I've only played through the story once but I don't really recall scratching my head about any parts, so it seems pretty coherant and it makes sense.

The gameplay elements are gimmicky, but it didn't feel too bad. The Jazz sections felt really free despite the game still being linear. You could tackle situations from almost any angle and any strategy you wanted. Same for Vortex and Starscream. Other elements I felt didn't work quite as well. Cliffjumper's stealth parts were made more difficult with unclear rules of stealth. The game was built to be a shooter, rather than a stealth game, and I feel it shows. Stuff that I felt were way, way too short were the Bruticus levels. He's one of the big draws of the game alongside Grimlock, and while Grimlock's level was satisfying and long, the Bruticus sections were way too short. I never got to melee any Mauraders or anything big and threatning. Just stomp towards structures and...that was it. Personally, Bruticus needed a lot more gameplay and as a huge Combaticons fan, I couldn't help but feel a little shafted here. My other gripe about gameplay is how Metroplex was handled. Personally, I wish instead of targeting for Metroplex, I wish that when you were attacking the Warp Cannons, the game actually put you in control of Metroplex. It gave YOU the option of shooting or meleeing them, or actually pressing the button for Metroplex to attack. I think it would've been MUCH better for the audience to be able to play Metroplex directly, rather than just telling him what to destroy.

Character wise...I loved the characterization. Everyone from Megatron to the Combaticons, Optimus to Perceptor, act like how we remember them. As a Combaticons fan, I loved how they were supremely competant and goddamn badass. The way Onslaught talked you really got a sense that he deeply trusted his team to come out on top of whatever mission he put them through, and I liked that. It gives Onslaught a lot of character. But what I really loved, was the interaction between Cliffjumper and Jazz. Their interaction and banter was really enjoyable and really showed off what their characters were all about.

Ultimately, Fall of Cybertron is a great buy. I have zero regrets about this game. However, if you were to ask me which game is a better game, then War for Cybertron would get my vote hands down. It isn't that Fall isn't good...it's just that War felt more finished, storywise, and War felt like a more satisfying game with the length and pacing of the story.

11. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    would it get a better rating if wfc never existed and if you didn't compare it to G1? sequels to games and movies that surpass the original are in the minority. this is me playing devil's advocate. while i believe it deserves better then an 80, i do agree on everything said

12. billcosby

billcosby Geewin

News Credits:
    Developers:

Always add.
    Never take away.

I'm really enjoying the carefully worded discussion. There are some critical issues raised here that I was concerned might happen.

I had a feeling this would happen after the miserable, painful experience that was DOTM. Only played the FOC demo so far but I can say this much... I will most certainly be getting it used. I learned my lesson after the can't-be-unbought DOTM.

Amen to that. I felt it was worth every cent, new.
    I still feel that Transformers would make a better sandbox-style game instead of "run through the maze, hit the targets". I'm not sure why that kind of open world game format is dying...

I'm officially in support of a Transformers/Hasbro license drop by HMS. They appear to have bottomed out, creatively. Someone else should get a crack at it next and take this console dynasty in a new direction.

13. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

If I had never seen or heard of G1 and War for Cybertron never existed, and I paid $65 for this game, I would have liked it even less. Then it would ONLY be another game trying to do what other games do much better, with a neat little short campaign and average multiplayer. Only worth a rental.
    I totally disagree about game sequels not usually surpassing the first... With games, its almost uncommon for the sequel NOT to be better unless the first game was low budget cap in the first place.

We need to keep in mind here that almost every TF game before WFC was total garbage or really close to it. WFC was indeed hands down the best TF game ever, and a good solid game as well as a great start to a new series of games. I just think the sequel went a bad direction in some of the ways that counted most.
    Saying WFC was the best TF game is like saying I pooped a turd today that was the most perfectly shaped and odorless shitball ever. WFC was simply the first really good TF game ever. That's why I hate to see them take a cheap route for the sequel.

Yeah don't get me wrong though guys. I had a blast on several parts of the campaign and have somewhat enjoyed multiplayer. Having worn out WFC multiplayer though already, this one got old waaaaay faster for me with so few improvements or changes.
    I mean, what happened to double jump?

14. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    all i can say about Fall of Cybertron is this:

i really want to love the game... i really do.

but there maybe Host Migration and character customization in FOC and that HMS is doing something about the glitches, hackings and cheaters (which are big pluses for FOC)... but imho War for Cybertron's Multiplayer experience is still superior.

15. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream The Ultimate Golden Gamer

News Credits:
    Try Minecraft. ;) 

16. itMFtis

itMFtis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's odd that FOC feels like the first game, and WFC feels like it's sequel considering all the extra mechanics in it. I mean if WFC were to come out tomorrow, you would all be like "Damn! Look at all the improvements and added gameplay" (minus the multiplayer bot customization which is the only thing better in FOC, then again that is only a visual improvement, and not something that is really going to affect gameplay in the end).

17. herugrim

herugrim Defiler of Energon

Ebay:
    I don't know what game you guys are playing.

We can sprint, air dash, and do a special melee attack during it. That's all new.

Ammo is not as scarce as it used to be, and is highlighted so it stands out better. I hated running out of ammo and frantically driving around the area looking for a bullet or two to shoot with.

Autoregenerating shields. The last game really needed that.

Switching arms makes using cover actually a tactical advantage, not just stuff that gets in the way.

Side-dashing.

Shops to upgrade and equip weapons (as opposed to hoping to stumble upon a halfway decent one).

Items and gear to use (love that little robot that shoots stuff for you).

Nitro boost.

In terms of gameplay, it's a pretty solid upgrade. Still not a top-notch shooter, but a great transformers game. I like that there's more story. Again, not the greatest story ever made, but by transformers standards it's still damn good (especially compared to the recent stuff, the films, Prime, and animated were all sub-par story-wise).

As for multiplayer, I personally couldn't care less. Never touched it in War for Cybertron, don't plan to here.

Far be it from me to tell people why they should or should not play a game, but beratting a studio because they didn't appeal to you with the only game mode you care about seems pretty low to me. High Noon has delivered the only part of this 'aligned' continuity that I actually enjoy. They may not have made the best shooter, but they've easily made the best transformers game, in my opinion.

18. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

I've already said that the campaign was better but shorter. Some of what you mentioned that's so good about this one is campaign only.
    I firmly stand by what I said. HMS got too cocky over the success of their first game and the passion of the fanbase, and gave us less knowing that many people... ahem.. would eat it up anyway, blind to what we actually got here.

You know how in multiplayer games where you could jump higher than than normal humans do, a lot of players would jump constantly in a firefight to be harder to hit? I always hated that to death. It makes fights ridiculous and even less realistic. Now that you can air dash in TF FOC Miltiplayer, I run into little scouts that are non-stop jump-air-dashing in fights. Its even worse than the usual hop battles. I think its a plus in campaign but just another crappy addition to MP.

Auto-regenerating shields that barely take any damage anyway... Yay for even further copying games like Halo...

Weapon selection/upgrade stations- so now chances are, every character you play through the campaign will just use Megatron's gun (or whatever you like best). I liked the feature, but no bot feels like he is the one with the real firepower (except of course Bruticus and Grimlock).

The only new thing I liked was the weapon arm switch, but that's not nearly enough to call this a solid sequel.
    I realize this game has more "Epic" in the campaign, and its TRANSFORMERS!!! But I'm not letting that mask the fact that this game is inferior to the first in most aspects.
    Its a little different, but I don't see much better at all.
    We already finally got a decent transformers game. This was supposed to be an even better one, as is the goal with all sequels.

19. MechanovaKing

MechanovaKing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On my second play through. I caught that jazz said was in status lock.
    So knowing how most popular IPs are treated Im sure he'll come back. IF the dinobots come back

20. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

I was a little disappointed with FoC, myself. I think the game is ridiculously fun, regardless, but when comparing it to WFC it just doesn't come close for me. I'll definitely be getting my money's worth, though. I'm replaying campaign right now and it's still just as fun, but I do wish certain characters had longer segments.