Over the top packaging? Has it gone too far?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by flywheels, Apr 27, 2007.

1. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Right before lunch I got a package today @ work consisting of a few items I recently won off eBay, one of which is my first Tele-Beast Wars toy...Dinobot.

Having already purchased several other Tele-BW releases from BBTS, this is my first one in hand as my "Pile of Loot" option is still turned on. That said, I was quite surprised at the sheer size of the packaging for this anniversary wave of BW that TakaraTomy has released. While I love the overall presentation, I can already foresee problems storing these boxes.

I'll cut up a domestically released TF box in a heartbeat to save the artwork and such, but I just can't bring myself to cut up or throw out any of my foreign packaged items...no matter the size of the box.

I know this topic has come up before, what to do with your boxes and such, but how many others out there feel the same as I...being you can't bring yourself to toss out that nifty Japanese box...even if your storage is bursting at the seems?

So my question to the fandom is, has packaging for toys (foreign or domestic) gone overboard? Is there too much material used in today's toy packaging?

2. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Abso freakin lutely. Hasbro has this curious obsession with creating packaging twice larger than it needs to be. And on top of that, they've been storing larger toys in robot form, causing the packaging to be even bigger. Obviously they're doing it to grab everyone's attention on shelves. I think it's obscene.

3. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

6 inch Titaniums, I'm looking your way!

4. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I think we should have MORE packaging! That way, we can have MORE twist ties!

How I loath you Mr./Mrs. twist tie tyer.

5. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm a sucker for japanese packagin and can never bring myself to toss it out. Even when it screws up my tetris storing abilites. As for Hasbro packaging, I hate it but am on the fence with certain figures. Some I will keep but most of them I will trash. The box is so damn big compared to the toy, it's eating up so much space. I really hated the cybertron packaging. Can they just make regular rectangular boxes with just one window. Damn you hasbro and sometimes takara too!

6. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    the bigger packaging is a part of the toy's marketing psychology. The manufacturer can justify higher prices due to the product's carton size alone.

mentality ...
    "this isn't worth $10, look at how small it is"
    "this is worth $10, the box is freaking huge"
    "this must be special, look at the cool box!"

This is how PC games were sold back in the day too.

7. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I will keep all the cards and breakdown any boxes. I love looking at all the artwork.

As for the packaging...I think that North America could learn a thing from japanese packages...

8. dgblast5

dgblast5 Well-Known Member

Took me ages to open up Cybertron Starscream, until I decided to use scissors...

9. defstar

defstar Autobot...

I think the packaging for six inch Tit's is perfect...

Gives you a nice view of the TF and allows you to see the base inside as well...perfect for MISB display...I myself am a huge sucker for packaging design...and I would say that it does have a somewhat affect on the TF I choose to buy/not buy...

It's just all the stupid twisty ties I hate... :mad 

10. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Best packaging = Binaltech. Gorgeous and compact.

11. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Excellent point! Back when I was into playing PC games, I loathed those ginormous boxes and then when I went back years later to pick up one here and there, I noticed how small the boxes had gotten and was pleased.

In some ways, it doesn't make sense to me that the TF packaging is increasing in size because it seems as if America (and other parts of the planet too) are more and more obsessed with small stuff. "Portable, portbale, portable!"

12. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

It's not really obscene when you consider that Hasbro doesn't the VAST majority of their customers to store frikkin' carboard boxes. Remember folks: We are (mostly) adults that buy kids toys...we're the oddballs. While the marketing does, on occasion, take us into account, like I said, we are not that important.

13. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    bigger package = bigger retail display

i hearts me some TF cybertron packaging

also, i got a pretty big package too.

...ok not really :( 

14. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought they were doing away with twist ties?

15. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Actually I love Telemocha box. I don't display toys in boxes but wouldn't mind doing so with this one. I only have one anyway :tongue: 
    The only Japanese boxes I cling to are BW Neo ones (though I do keep some boxes from other series, too), but they drive me nuts with their different sizes. I have never been good at Tetris.
    Thank Buddha they are not as big as recent series :)