Over-shipping charge: Worth leaving a -ive feedback? (and thus receiving one)

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Paradigm-Shift Prime, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

So I received a g1 mirage today, the figure is fine but I got charged $16.50 ($14 plus $2.50 for insurance) for shipping and it cost him $3.76.

Here's the auction: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ARTQ%3ACA%3A1&viewitem=&item=220131104393&rd=1

So I sent him a polite message saying that I wouldn't bother for a couple of bucks but that this was over $10 in difference so if he would send me $8 and keep the rest I'd be happy.

Here's his response:

" are you kidding me !! thats the first in ebay history ! in my experience, it got there .. good happy for that im gonna tell you a story about ebay and paypal !! we pay three fees to sell our items listing fees, listing ending fees, and paypal fees ,, means i got three fees plus shipping and handling fees !! hmm what you .. that the stuff we sell is free to list ... theres no such thing for shipping cost refund !! thanks you for letting me know it got that though but no ship refund it stays where is at !! have a pleasant day "

Now I'm looking to you guys before I respond. I don't have any -ive feedbacks and know I'll get one if I leave him one (I HATE that). Notably nowhere in the auction does it mention that some of the shipping charge goes to his fees (I see that included sometimes) and also, he sent it USPS with no signs of having paid for insurance.

So should I try to make these 2 arguments in a response back to him?

Try to claim something with ebay? (does the fact that he charged me $ for insurance and didn't pay it mean anything?)

Leave him a -ive?

Or just leave a +ive (or no feedback in case he leaves me a -ive in response)?

Thanks people. That response was frustrating.

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    On the one hand, you got a very nice looking G1 Mirage at a very nice price indeed.
    On the other hand, sellers aren't supposed to pass THEIR costs on to the buyer. Paypal especially takes a very dim view of it.
    I'd point that out to him before doing anything. If he continues to be an arse about it, I'd leave him neutral feedback and mention his outrageous shipping costs in it.

3. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Autobot/Decepticon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Honestly, I would just let it go. There is no point getting a neg on your feedback for $10. Yah, it sucks and his reasoning is bogus. Also this is becoming very common practice with sellers lately, charing like $12-15 for something that cost $5 to ship

4. vnutz

vnutz Banned

Ebay:
    its not right but i'd let it go too. its not worth the negative feedback. next time just do your research on the shipping

5. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

I agree that a shipping difference of cost, and amount charged of almost $13.00 is excessive.
    Did you know he was going to charge that much for shipping before you bid in the auction?---Thats the question.

I hate to say it----but the majority of people I exchange messages with on Ebay, articulate themselves through messaging on about a 2nd, or 3rd grade reading level. (Yes, I'm serious).

6. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Yeah, I'd leave a neutral, if only for the fact that the guy can't assemble a coherent sentence worth a damn.

But then again, he didn't lie about what he would charge you to ship. The $9.75 is stated plainly, and you must have realized that it wouldn't cost that much to ship a loose G1 car.

I personally avoid this problem by taking shipping into account as part of my bid. If they want to charge an insane amount for shipping, the bids will just be that much less.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  7. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

Leave him a Neutral, you'll probably get a Neg in return.
    It's not right, but its been my experience.

8. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Kill him with a neutrality.

9. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Yeah I'll think about it for a bit more and read the rest of your guys' responses before deciding. Might let it go though. No way I'm leaving a netural feedback cuz this guy would definately hit me with a -ive in response (why do neutrals even exist?).

I should explain the pre-purchase situation better. $9.75 was the US to US cost. I am in Canada, where at the top the calculator had the shipping cost as $30 US. I actually emailed him before bidding saying $30 was WAY too high to ship to Canada and got this (also hard to read) response:

HEY YOU READ WRIONG READ THE BOTTOM!!! I DONT CHARGE EXPRESS TO CANADA !! LOL I CHARGE 14 TO CANADA LOL RELAX !! I SHIP EXPRESS TO ALL INTERNATIONALS CAUSE IT WILL HAVE CONFIRMATION AND INSURANCE CANADA I DONT WORRY ABOUT !! LIKE I SAID READ ALL THE WAY IN THE BOTTOM 14 WILL BE SHIPPED TO YOU ILL FIX IT LOL

So $14 US plus $2.50 for confirmation/insurance is what I got out of this. So I BIN'd it and the statement was just that.

So MMM, it's not that I was shocked or surprized by the shipping charge. It is the difference between this charge and what it actually cost him that is the problem, and actual cost from US to Can is hard to predict. Shipping from the US to Canada is weird, sometimes it can be way cheaper than shipping within Canada and sometimes it can be more expensive, and this doesn't merely depend on how far the state is from me, so it's hard to predict what the actual cost to the sender will be. So it is being charged 400% over the actual shipping cost that is my problem. If it showed up and I saw that it cost him $12-16.50 to send, everything would have been good.
    And so can anyone confirm that I should have a problem with paying for insurance/confirmation and not getting it? I'm uncertain on this, but he certainly couldn't argue much against charging for a service and not providing it. It was sent USPS parcel with a 'first class' red stamping on it.

10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Yeah, I would definitely ask him about the insurance. It would be nice to hear what kind of bullshit excuse he makes up for not getting it.

11. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

eBay can be notified about people abusing shipping charges to beef up their profits, so don't leave him a negative because his to you will be justified and eBay will not remove it. Report it to eBay and move on.

If the item was beat up or smashed from a lack of good shipping, I would see your point, but you knew what you were paying, you agreed, you got it.

12. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    Those shipping fees suck. Some sellers overcharge on shipping so I make it a good practice to look at their shipping costs first. If I can agree to it, then I'll make my bid/purchase. Not one to back up outrageous shipping fees, but if the deal works out in my favor, then I'll make the buy.

He did note that he would charge $14.00 + $2.50 optional insurance to Canada. His English is not very good, and the response to the question is not professional with all those caps and LOLs, but he did mention the price.

I would just leave it be. Not worth getting a negative feedback. Like Killa-B-Killed mentioned, you may ge a negative in return. Sucks, but that's what some sellers do.

13. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Again, the problem isn't that I didn't know what the shipping charge was at the outset, it is the 400% difference between it and his actual cost (AND that I payed for insurance and didn't get it). See my last post at the bottom of the last page.

14. nuropa

nuropa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He stated that $14 is for shipping using US Priority Mail which starts at $15 US, for $3, it has to be First-Class Mail® International. he did not used shipping method stated in the auction and that give you reasons for a refund.

15. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Thanks for the responses btw everyone, I love this site and its members, I'd end up leaving him a frustrated message in response otherwise. Anyways, with this guy's responses you guys get some free entertainment out of the case anyways, ;) 

16. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I just wouldn't leave feedback at all. If you leave a negative, he'll leave a negative and this isn't worth getting one, IMO. Lots of sellers overcharge for "shipping and handling," the latter as a catch-all to cover the various fees. It bugs me too, but like MMM, I factor the quoted shipping cost into the bid I'm willing to put in/total price I'm willing to pay. If you enter neutral (or even a positive), he might still enter a negative in return b/c you 'bugged him' (at least from his POV).

I've had buyers and sellers just never leave feedback on auctions that went perfectly well, to the point where if 9/10 of either do so, I'm happy. In this case, I'd definitely just write the whole thing off, since a potential -1 far outweighs just not getting a potential +1, particularly since you're only at 43. A -1 will knock your 100% down to a hair below 98%.

17. Paradigm-Shift Prime

YES! This is true and I do think it is a clear ground to pursue the matter!!!!!

Should I message him telling him I have grounds for a claim as he charged for 'USPS Priority Mail International' and shipped with 'First-Class Mail International' or should I just make a claim (and if the latter where do I make it?). Thanks again.

18. Paradigm-Shift Prime

So I sent him a message. This is it, I tried to avoid slandering and anything that could be taken as a threat, then ran out of space:

"Ok well I've done some research and I've found that I have a huge grounding in a claim for a shipping refund. You see, you charged me for 'USPS Priority Mail International' shipping (which starts at over $10) and used 'First-Class Mail® International'. This is clearly evidenced and is a clear violation. You see I agreed in paying the shipping I did to having the item shipped using the shipping method agreed to in our binding sale/contract. You did not ship with the agreed upon method and that is why it cost you so much less. (also, $2.50 for insurance?).

It is not a matter of that "it got there" so that is it as you claim, as you broke our agreement in how it would get here. It is also not a matter of covering your expenses, as this was not stated in the auction and gouging for amounts like 400% of the actual shipping cost is not accepted by ebay or paypal anyways, not to mention that if you'd shipped with the method stated there wouldn't have been this much extra left over."

19. kasper0v

kasper0v Well-Known Member

I'd really like to punch that seller in the nose. What an ass.

20. zap dragon

zap dragon Well-Known Member

leaving a neg or nuetral will only get you a neg in return, i would not leave anything till and if in the next 90 days by chance he leaves you a pos, i would then leave the neg or nuetral

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.