Over-rated features

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Autobot X, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Autobot X

Autobot X Too broke for 3P and MP.

There are a few features that people seem to gush about. Some of them, though, seem to get blown out of proportion, and it puzzles me.

Articulated fingers: What's wrong with a fist that holds a gun? Why do we need the ability to flip the bird or throw up devil horns? I find that it makes it harder for weapons to stay in their hands.

Clear windows: Most of the time that I've seen, when a figure has clear windows, there is the inevitable complaint about those windows on the figure that aren't clear. Why not just have the windows molded in opaque plastic and painted? At least then they'd all be uniform.

Firing missiles: Great. Just something to lose.

Articulation: Oooh...sacrilege. I like articulation, but it's not a deal-breaker to me if a figure doesn't have thigh or waist swivels or a ball-jointed head. One of my favorite all-time figures is G1 Rodimus Prime. 2 points of articulation. Period.

Complicated transformations: I hate it when it takes me ten minutes to transform a deluxe figure. I'm looking at you, War for Cybertron Optimus Prime.

Electronic lights/sounds/motion: I usually just take the batteries out.

Die-cast: Meh.

Mind you, I don't necessarily have anything against these things, but it seems like a lot of people value them quite a bit, and I just don't get it.

2. TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    mehtech

3. Autobot X

I don't know if your misspelling was intentional or not, but it sums up the gimmick pretty well, IMO. :) 

4. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Headmasters- Seriously if the robot is already sentient then why need a new head?

MECH Alive- This was the most pointless gimmick ever,

Rubsigns- Seriously this only works for one bot (Lockdown) and they never use it on him.

Open Hands seriously my RTS Tracks and Laser Prime have stress marks in them

Gold Plastic on Modenr Figures- are they trying to ruin my childhood even more.

Overcomplicated Transformation- I'd rather have simpler than overally difficult.

5. TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    lol. twas intentional. there's only a couple of the mechtech weapons I like (voyager optimus, shockwave) the other ones I am gonna collect up and get rid of on here.

6. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Lights and sounds- Some cases seems to hinder the figure.

Any of these movie ideas. Mech Alive, Mech Tech, automorph.

Don't know if it is a "feature" but rubsigns. Often not applied straight, and a nice tampo on tracks would look much better.

7. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Chrome and Die-cast. Yeah I said it.

8. blur3479

blur3479 The most boring member

News Credits:
    Every thing the unicron trilogy did

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I've never been a fan of the unlockable gimmicks commonly found in Armada and Cybertron. This is the reason that I hate minicons and cyber keys.

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Minicons. Fuck those guys, little red helicopters dry-humping yellow cars WTF

11. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anything other than transformation.

I MEAN, ISN'T A CAR TURNING INTO A GIANT DEATH ROBOT FROM SPACE ENOUGH OF A GIMMICK?!?!

12. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist Veteran

News Credits:
    If it takes you ten minutes to transform WFC Optimus, then you're doing it wrong.

13. Autobot X

Ha ha, true. It was just the easiest example to use, as he was sitting right in front of me.

14. BW megatron

BW megatron tiran

1. Mechtech
    2. autotransformation and self motion
    3. Spring weapons
    4. Sound and light when it hinders or limits a figure

15. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why do these guys have to transform anyway? Just gets in the way of accuracy and articulation. :p 

16. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's not necessary for every figure, but it does make figures seem more realistic. MP Seekers can hold the Megatron gun that came with MP Prime - the effect wouldn't be the same if they didn't have the articulated hands - you otherwise end up with something like book-style Starscream.

I hate clear windows. I'd always vote for tinted over perfectly clear - again, it just looks better than painted plastic windows.

LOL - agreed

Seriously LOL - also agreed

17. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    My responses are in the bold lettering in the quote up top.

18. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Waist articulation is overrated.

Scale is overrated.

Screen accuracy is overrated.

19. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    waist articulation. i want more arm and leg movement than waist.
    chrome:some can scratch off easily
    cyberkeys: wtf?
    mechtech: not that bad but looks stupid in vehicel mode.
    minicons: what is cool about a small car on a big car.
    tfa voyager primes waist gimmick: can i just go g1 prime on him?

20. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

Things i hate:

Lights and sound: Basically the only time this ever done right without them getting the way is by customizers. Not to mention how much I hate sounds that are activated by little things. Its ok in Universe Silverbolt (in fact, I kind of love it on him) but on ROTF Leader Prime, I eventually just ripped the batteries out because of how tired I was of hearing "I am Optimus Prime" every two seconds while Transforming him

Any sort of intrusive gimmick: Even when I was a kid, I always preferred the figures who had no gimmicks at all. Like someone else here said, transforming from a robot into a whatever is gimmick enough. The cybertron line might be one of the biggest offenders here, since you can't even do some of the stuff the figures are designed to do if you lose the god damn cyber key. Just shoddy work on stuff like that.

Die-Cast, chrome, and gold plastic: all die cast has done for me was make it hurt more when I dropped MP prime on my un-shoed little toe. All chrome has done was piss me off when it wears away. All gold plastic has done is destroy one of my favorite childhood toys. You shall be missed BW TM Megatron.

Auto-transformation: This is a weird one, because I think the idea of that is to add play value, when in my eyes, its always taken it away. I always got tired of auto-transforming toys way faster than ones I had to work with.

Sacrificing Articulation for any "feature" other than transformation: In this day and age, lack of articulation is basically inexcusable. You see customizers and third party creators putting out super articulated stuff all the time, even stuff on shapeways. Have you all seen the WFC Frenzy and Rumble that this guy made? Ball joints everywhere, and they're tiny! Whereas hasbro wants you to pay $90(?!?!) for Ultimate Prime who can't even bend his legs. Within a month of its wide release, I guarantee you'll see at least one customized ult. prime with knee joints, and it won't have been hard to do.

Things i'm in favor of:

Articulated fingers and open hands: Like Unicronftw, I think articulated fingers are great, but only on the right figures. Basically, the larger the hand, the more useful the articulation is going to be. Personally, i've had some issues with the joint strength on MP SS, but a figure like Cybertron Primus is a great example of articulated figures done right. As far as open hands, I think they're great. I havent seen any stress marks on any of my figures with open hands, and they're just so much more expressive.

Painted windows: I'll take painted windows over clear ones any day, with the exception being figures like alternators, where theres actually something to see in the interior.

Complicated Transformations: Like I said earlier, I find alot more play value in complicated figures. Thats not a catch all though, as they need to be engineered well too, since a complicated transformation on a poorly engineered figure is ridiculously frustrating (looking at you ROTF Arcee).

Weapons that really fit in while in both modes: You don't find this as much with Hasbro figures, but 3rd party guys really have this aspect down. I was amazed when I first saw Peaughs review for the not-Reflector toy and saw that everything had its place in bot and camera modes. The new MP Prime does this pretty well with his ion blaster too.

@Megatroptimus: Everyones entitled to their opinion, but I don't think screen accuracy is over-rated at all. I probably would have liked alot of the Movie toys alot more if they had closer resembled their movie counterparts. My biggest problem is when the frame of the figure is all off, like with ROTF Long Haul and DOTM Megs. Those are two characters who in the movies were very stout, but their figures are especially lanky. However, I guess they're both very screen accurate in vehicle mode.

@bignick1693: I don't think theres ever once been an instance where adding waist articulation would mean sacrificing arm and leg movement.