Over exposure hath killed bumblebee

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by supernova222, Oct 1, 2012.

1. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i think many will agree that bumblebee has been shoved down our throats the last couple years and over exposure to him has kinda ruined the character. i mean he is called the "one robot franchise" and im sure im not the only one who is sick of going to stores and seeing dozens of unwanted TFP bumblebees, piled on top of just as many unwanted DOTM ones. they thought they could do so much with him, just coast on his sales but, alas, they have worn him out.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Counterpoint: He's still selling fine, and kids still like him.

3. Breakdown96

Breakdown96 ‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside

There is to many, but he sells.

4. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    Actually, Hasbro chalked up DotM's failure as a toyline up to the fact they composed the line mostly of the same characters from the previous two. I think it's safe to say he isn't moving the warehouses' worth of stock they hoped he would.

5. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    Welcome to 2007.

6. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    More like 2010. People in 2007 had raging boners for Bumblebee and were actually fighting over the Concept Camaro deluxe.

7. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    Really? I thought there were about 4-5 Bumblebee repaints in 07.

My mistake.

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Inaccurate. DOTM's toyline was not a failure, it simply sold less than ROTF's (and sold MORE than figures from the first film). Seeing as it drove Hasbro revenues, that's hardly a failure. Also, Bumblebee was not the only returning character to receive a new toy, so placing blame solely on him would be incorrect. You could say, using the same logic, that "overexposure hath killed Optimus Prime", since his larger-scale toys shelfwarmed as poorly as Bee has.

9. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    agree to disagree

optimus is the face of transformers, you cant hate him, bumblebbe is a differnt story. since 2007, they tried to thrust him into a central position.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    It's difficult to "agree to disagree" when you're discussing facts. It is fact that the DOTM line was not a failure. It is fact that it sold more than the first movie line.

Incorrect.

They didn't have to try. Bumblebee's popularity skyrocketted because of the movie. They didn't push the character back then, he was just naturally popular. If they really pushed him that hard do you think the 2007 camaro toy would've been so hard to find back then?

If they really did "thrust" him into a central position he would have had way more toys and merch in 2007 than he did.

11. WidowMaker91

WidowMaker91 Well-Known Member

Bumblebee's the kid friendly character when G1 was being phased out they were still making BBs cause he was still selling.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    It took me all of that summer to find the Concept Camaro Bumblebee.

Good Times. Now Imagine if we had a time machine back then and gave everyone the current Bumblebee toys.....

13. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    In our country some Bee versions seem to clog the shelves/pegs, but everything gets sold eventually. Kids do love him, and most parents/relatives almost always get Optimus or Bumblebee for them.

14. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    If it wasn't Bumblebee it would be Hot Shot, or Cheetor or Hot Rod. Rotating him out for someone else would be nice, but if it means I can get a hold of characters I like because the kids all want him. Its a win/win for my money.

15. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    The problem is we have no idea how kids and people buying these that don't take part in a messageboard feel about Bumblebee's exposure and all his figures. Sure there are lots of people complaining about the 'yellow tide' at TF boards but for all we know everyone else that isn't out online voicing their opinion on old Bummers is happy enough with him.
    I remember when I first got the internet and was surprised at how much stuff TF messageboards hated with regards to the franchise when I off in my little pre-internet bubble was actually quite happy with a lot of the things unliked by the online community.

Is Bumblebee over-exposed and his toys not handled as well as they could be? I'd say personally yes. Has it killed him? Not yet. And now Hasbro seem to have realised they might've gone a bit overboard here and there pushing him perhaps things will change a little.

16. Ultra Lagmus

Ultra Lagmus Well-Known Member

17. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think if Hasbro ditched the idea of an assortment case all problems would be solved. Main show characters come in a case unto themselves. Repaints, non show characters are a max of 2 characters per case. I believe this was the system used during G1.

Imagine a store not clogged with the characters that show up more in cases. We would have vehicons for all. MP Grimlock in stores for years. Hasbro would save money because they could sell a super popular mold for longer. Maybe even have "evergreen" products, like video games that sell for years on end.

Now this would hurt the secondary market. Maybe this would turn off collectors that enjoy hunting and rare figures.

I heard from a board member that we have case assortments because wal-mart demanded them. Not sure if anyone can back this up. Can anyone tell me what other consumer goods come in assortment cases?

18. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

The secondary market is not Hasbro's concern, so it's all upside for them.

19. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Former Green Kool-aider

Looking at some of the more recent case assortments, I think Hasbro's starting to get the message. Bumblebee still sells, just not nearly as well as Hasbro thinks he is. Bumblebee isn't even included in the FE relaunch.

20. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

2010? you mean 2012

shit load of DOTM BBs, TF: Prime/Resuce Bot BBs all over