Outrageous Shipping on Ebay

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Chaddicus, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Chaddicus

Chaddicus Don't call me Shirley

So I won a FP Protector set, BiS Rodimus ect. I wont the auction for around 20.00 dollars. No shipping amount was stated prior to winning the item. After I won the item the shipping "total" is 109.00 dollars from the US to a US address. What can I do about this? There should be no way a seller can fraudulently charge this shipping amount.

2. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    If there is nothing in the auction itself that states the shipping, you should be able to report them for unreasonable shipping charges. Some sellers try to do this to avoid having to pay too much in final value fees, however most of those sellers state in their auctions that the shipping will be X amount of dollars.

3. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Tell the seller that the charges are fair if the figure is delivered to you in a limo and wedged squarely between Scarlett Johansson's finely-toned butt cheeks.

4. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Take a picture of the invoice or save the email where the seller gave you the shipping info.

You won both of these sets for $20? And nobody else was interested for that price? The whole issue is debatable, as you should have asked about the shipping on one hand (others asked or the competition would have been fierce) and on the other hand, the seller is clearly trying to avoid paying ebay fees.

5. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There was obviously something somewhere that stated the shipping cost.

If there was nothing, the auction would have finished much closer to $150.

Link the closed auction?

6. Mighty.Maximal

Mighty.Maximal Banned

Did they put the shipping cost in the shipping section or in the auction small print some place ?

Otherwise all you can do is ask them to cancel the transaction.

7. Chaddicus

Under shipping it only stated to contact seller for shipping quotes. Item is in NY. I've reported the issue and am awaiting resolution. The Auction only had 1 bid when I bid and it finished for around 18.00 something. It shouldn't even matter if the quote was listed. There is no way Ebay can let a seller charge members 109.00 USD for shipping, especially from NY to a US address.

Here's the listing, however I was on my Iphone when I found the listing and placed my bid.
    Listing

8. Junkacon

Junkacon Scrap Metal

Check online and get a shipping quote of your own for items of said weight and dimensions. Obviously this guy is trying to screw you over and so you will definitely be able to find a much lower, and reasonable quote. Email him with this quote as evidence his shipping cost is much too high. Contact eBay with your own quote if he does not comply.

9. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

Well, after checking out the listing, it does indeed say have shipping at $109 when you click on the shipping tab. However, it also lists delivery time as 11-15 days. What kind of shipping could possibly cost that much and take that amount of time?

10. Chaddicus

Correct, 109.00 is now listed. Like I said, when I found the listing on my Iphone last night, the only thing under the shipping was "contact the seller for quote". There was only a few hours left on the auction at that time and it made no sense to contact the seller sense in all probability, I wouldn't have heard from him in time before the auction ended. I've already gone through Ebay to see what they'll do. More than likely they'll null out the deal.

11. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sadly there is no listing update marked so apparently that cost has been there. That's what miffs me most about ebay. Their site will fudge up every now and then but they won't use that as a defense for you.

12. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When I'm on my phone it leaves off some info too. Also: you can't update an auction within the last 12 or 24 hours (don't remember which) so I'd say it was there if you were on a computer and the problem lies with the phone version of ebay.

13. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    BiS set=$20-$25
    Protector Armor= $80 and up.

so, from where i see it, you really didn't read the fine print.
    and yeah, i have seen auctions where the shipping is not posted in plain view. (like a GI Joe Night Attack Chopper for $30, and after clicking on the shipping tab, it said "$45.00)

the thing is, $129 for the twi items is not as bad you think, though the practice of low actual price attached to a high shipping rate is stupid.

i doubt you have much recourse after eBay tells you "caveat emptor" by telling you to do a better job reading or just email the seller a question before bidding. i still think it is not as painful a lesson as others may have felt.

14. Chaddicus

I already own Protector. I was trying to aquire a second set. I know what the stuff is worth. however, Ebay needs to do a better job at policing these corner cutting douches. The seller told me he rolled the value of the set into the shipping to save on ebay fees. Yes my Iphone did not do me justice, however if you don't want to pay the fees, don't sell it on Ebay. I'm just hoping my complaint will bring some justice to this seller.

15. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I feel your pain, that's one of the reasons ebay has the filter as price high to low and price + shipping high to low. Seems that they know about the problem just choose not to do anything about it.

16. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Report him for fee avoidance

17. art2614

art2614 Well-Known Member

I usually am on my iPhone when searching ebay and always use their desktop version because the mobile site sucks. I saw this listing afew days ago and did not bid on it because of the shipping cost.

18. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Whether you 'should have known' or not is not the issue. Of course you knew better. All you can do know is wait. Ebay cannot force the seller to ship the item to you at any cost. So ultimately, you will probably leave negative feedback and the seller will move on.

19. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

Until Ebay stop raping sellers with fees and screwing them over you'll see this alot. The seller is doing this so he doesn't have to pay the fees as it has been said already and I honestly do not blame them.

I honestly don't know how anyone makes $$ on Ebay anymore. IMO the seller should be able to charge fees = to what the fees from Ebay and Paypal are. I pad my shipping and handling to recoupe those costs for sure. An business passes those costs on to the consumer.

20. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I understand people hating fees. But i'm not sure why people feel that no one makes money? Set a starting price that includes fees or a buy it now that includes the fees.