Out of the Box

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by JinraiPrime, Aug 29, 2006.

1. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

I dunno about you guys, but every one of my figures comes out of the box... I cant take them with me, and they will likely still be worth a load when i pass them on anyway... I want to enjoy them and i just cant do that when all their weapons and stuff are in the box with them, i have to set them up in cool poses... I try and buy my figures loose, but if i cant ill buy them open them and throw away the box..........................haha just kidding i keep the boxes/cards

2. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I only have 1 figure still in the box, and that is my Takara TFC Megatron. It looks so good in the box, with the window neatly showing the figure in Gun mode, with all accessories. But I have opened it more than once. Applied stickers, pretended to shoot somebody, etc..

3. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I don't collect boxes. All my figures are out of the box. Even my few imports, and I actually keep those boxes.

A good deal of my figures have some degree of modification. I buy them to enjoy them, and I'm a hands on kind of person.

4. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    So far the only figure that I've kept in the box is the Galaxy Force Primus, and even then I've opened the box to drop in the Unicron head from the US release...

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I keep the boxes, flatpacked when they clearly won't ever go back in, but all my TFs get opened with the exception of guys like the Red Thrust from Armada. I like to fiddle about with them and transform them, they're just not fun when they stay packaged.

6. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    All of my Transformers get fresh air, except BT Yellow Tracks (Who I havn't opened since I already have Alt Tracks open) and Alt Nemesis Prime who I need to make shelf space for. I also have a Fox Kids red Cheetor sealed because I think I might sell it since I found the show-accurate one. Oh yeah I also still have Cyb Primus sealed because I'm still hoping to one day exchange it at a store for one with that damn Unicron head :banghead: ...

7. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    I still have my random G1's and my near complete Hasbro TRU Commerative Series all boxed still until I find space. All of my boxes are flattened and in storage with their inserts, so I can put them back if I ever have to move.

8. Nightscream

Nightscream JP TF Master Collector

Ebay:
    I thnk loose collectors' perception of MiSB collectors usually is a little skewed. Of course a toy can't have any play value unless it's opened, and it is of course rarely a good investment. Nut some people like the look. And some like the idea of owning valuable items like an AFA Jetfire. But I think the main reason for MiSB collecting is the availability. Since MiSB will always more rare than loose, it is logical to consider a MiSB collection finer than a loose one.

Those are the main reasons for me, anyway. Although I do open many figures if they can easily be replaced in the box.

9. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For me most of the time when I get a Transformer, usually an Alternator, I open it, play around with it for a bit, then put back in it's box. Although I enjoy transforming them, I also like how they appear in their boxes, especially bubble box Alternators. I have relatively few MiSB Transformers and those are usually different versions of the same mould which have been opened already.

10. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have purchased dozens of vintage Japanese G1 items MISB, then cracked them open and stickered them - no regrets here.

Keeping Transformers sealed has always seemed stranger to me than any other toy, considering the very purpose of their existence is to alter from one form to another. However, therein lies the diversity in different people's collecting styles, which is all good.

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I open every TF I get unless it's a duplicate (and for me to buy that is VERY rare, only a few moulds) or a repaint/remould (even rarer). I keep all the packaging; with the exception of a handful of my G1 stuff (either from when I was a kid, or stuff I've bought loose) every TF I own has its packaging.

12. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

It is my opinion that all Transformers should be freed from their plastic prisons.

13. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I open 'em all. I've kepts very few boxes, though. My Alts and BTs have theirs, I still have my SWTFs in their cards (opened, but still on cards), and a few other boxes- Brave Max, Predaking, JRX set, and a few reissues. For the rest, though, I chop up their boxes, keeping the character art and the back panel advertising, but little else. Then, that gets stored in one place. For example, all my Cybertron documentation is in the VP vs SS box, all the Universe stuff is in a Target Nemesis Prime box, etc.

-Tony!

14. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Almost every toy I buy either is opened, or will be opened at some point. But I tend to be a rainy day collector. That is, I buy a huge pile of toys and keep them in my storage area in my room sealed and waiting. Then, some day when I had a rough one, or I just feel like a need a little play time, I go into the toy room, reach into the archives, and grab out a never been opened toy and rip that packaging open. Sometimes toys last for YEARS unopened.

Then there are certain toys that will come out of the box, get played with, and go right back in when I'm done. The biggest number there would probably be my 1/48 Valk(s). The 1/60ths I tore out and set up a display of in a room with just a tiny, TINY bit of daylight creeping in around the shade. And just a little more than a year later, two of them were noticeably yellowing. I won't have that happen to my 1/48ths. Or the newer 1/60th larger models. (VF-0, YF-19). White Transformers may or may not sit out, depending on if I ever plan on repainting them. And whether or not they come in a window box so it wouldn't matter whether they were opened or not.

I do keep a few duplicates around that I'll always keep sealed. Most noteably, one of each of the regular and super mode Autobot Brothers, and Scourge. And one of each of the two different Spychanger releases for the RID line. And a few other ones, here and there.

So, yeah, the toys I like the most get a dupe stored forever in mint packaging. Unless they are ridiculously expensive or way too big to store a sealed one. So I can see both sides of the MISB/Opened debate. In my mind, some toys just beg to be opened and played with, and some look so good in the packaging, they beg to have a sealed one kept around. *SHRUG*

15. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

All my G1 collection is out of the box, getting transformed once or twice, and then it is back in the box for storage. But the funny thing is that I got more then 10 alternators and Binaltechs and I didn't open anyone of them. They are still fresh MISB. Maybe one day....

16. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If I get a MISB toy, I open it. I say if because I dont buy many toys from the stores anymore. I usually get BW and G1 stuff, but I am getting the Titaniams, and planning on building a Scrapmetal army. I will open those, and keep the boxes and such. I just throw all the boxes into the back room of my basement. Even if I get a MISB BW toy, I open it. I open all my Reissues, and keep their boxes. I like the idea of buying a ton of toys and saving them for when I got nothing else to do. I may try that when I auctally get the Titaniums and BW X in the stores around here.

17. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have probably 90% - 95% loose, the rest are sealed - usually rarer items, and anything old. I won't open anything that's sealed and older than sort of the early beast era. G2 and G1 is certainly off limits.

18. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I live once and whatever I buy, I open it up! I have to fiddle and pose my stuff. I respect the willpower of MISBers! :D 

19. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I open, and trash the boxes. I've got no room for them. I considered keeping the import boxes, but then I trashed them too. Only box I ever kept was the Predaking reissue box, it's good for storing them and their weapons.

20. snkeyes069

snkeyes069 Legend in his own mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    MIB/MISB is the way to go! The packaging over the years has had some major highs (G1 being my favorite) to major lows (I hate the Alt Fishbowls and all the twits-ties/rubber bands on new stuff). But in general, the packages were intended to manifest desire for the toys inside...and preserving that sense of "package-induced awe" is very important to me. Hell, I think the packaging is worth AT LEAST as much as the toy inside, so I keep it all!! :)