3D Artwork: Out of Ammo: Fakebusker's Melee thread (Shapeways)

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by fakebusker83, Oct 1, 2012.

1. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Update: November 17th, 2012

Hi guys!

I have a bunch of good news here. I've gotten my melee models from Shapeways, and boy do they look good! Most of them turned out as detailed as I expected them to be, and all of them looked really good equipped on actual figures. You can imagine how much better they'll be once painted up!

You can check out these models in their 3D printed glory at this thread!

The Armory

Aucepic Anlace

[​IMG][​IMG]

"Scouts all over the galaxy swear by their trusty Anlace. Even though its energy output is tiny
    for a melee weapon, its silent activation, low energy signature and its ability to deal damage
    where it counts has gained it plenty of supporters. Many a soldier rue the day they underestimated
    the Anlace, rubbing their cauterized stumps thoughtfully."

Get Part A. Get Part B. Get Part B (Energized).

Cybersonic Scimitar

[​IMG][​IMG]

"The Cybersonic Scimitar has found its way into the hands of many a space pirate, and for good
    reason. It is a crude, brutal design, cheaply made and engineered to bring the most hurt into a
    small wound signature. The grating whine it emits while activated did not help much to improve its image."

Voltech Verger

[​IMG]

"The Verger is not designed to maim nor dismember, but to deliver a powerful energy charge
    on impact that overloads the circuitry of the target, often leaving them as inarticulate, dribbling bodies
    with the occasional delayed spasm. This effective tool of control is popular with scientists and explorers
    who have need of pristine,
    undamaged sample lifeforms."

Get Part A. Get Part B.

Betrabludger

[​IMG]

"Everything about the Betrabludger is vicious. There have been frequent reports of horrific puncture
    wounds being inflicted on our soldiers that even the best of our medics are unable to repair. They say that
    those evil spikes tend to shatter and break off on impact, and the heft of the Bludger is so great that the
    force drives these repellent shards so deep into our troops that there is only one way to fix the damage.
    Amputation."

Get Part A. Get Part B.

Siesmite Sledgeslammer

[​IMG]

"Talk about portable artillery! Wham! These Sledgeslammer babies are so packed with power that
    one KaBlam! hit is enough to kill everything they touch! Leaving only a Shizzle! Shizzle! smokin' crater...
    I don't know what those brains in Research put into these things, but I wish I can get two of them!
    One for each Whammo! fist!"

Get Part A. Get Part B.

Piezopernach

[​IMG][​IMG]

"The Piezopernach is an interesting device. In a rare design quirk for a melee weapon, it incorporates
    a kineto-voltic cyclotron within its casing. What that serves to do is to absorb, store and enhance all forms
    of kinetic input it receives and channels the resultant charge into the tips of its penetritic spikes.
    Any hapless target that gets into contact with those said spikes are in for a nasty shock.
    The amount of energy that can be stored in this weapon is immense; nearly 100 kilotons can be
    delivered in one hit, enough to power a respectable earthquake."

Galactic Dichotomizer

[​IMG][​IMG]

"When the ground pounders bring out their Galactic Dichotomizers you know they mean serious business.
    These massive axes can only be wielded by the largest of their foot soldiers, and whether be it a plank,
    flank or tank, nothing can withstand the blows on the Dichotomizer; everything shatters to pieces in one or
    two nuclearic charged hits."

Cybernetic Craniocleaver

[​IMG][​IMG]

"A perennial favourite of the cruel. It is not enough that this Cleaver boasts a monomolecular edge
    that guarantees a skyscraper be split in half in one swing. No. The Craniocleaver has to go and overdo it
    by incorporating a hyperthruster on its rear that allows its wielder to deliver blows fifty times more effectively;
    fifty times more than required to hew sinew from sinew. Fifty times more than needed to crack head cases open."

The Gyroguillotine

[​IMG][​IMG]

"A simple, classic instrument of decapitation used by both sides during the War. Simple in design,
    consisting of an over-large energy core flanked by a pair of adamite blade sheaths, the Guillotine
    exhibits excellent cutting ability and a long swinging reach."

MegaBludgeon

[​IMG]

"Sometimes even the most brutal of combatants need to exhibit a bit of finesse. When the massive
    MegaMace proves too slow and cumbersome, gladiators may choose to unleash the MegaBludgeon instead.
    This weapon is compact and maneuverable, but its furonic generator artificially boosts its mass by a
    factor of 500%, giving it as much punch as its larger cousin. The largest brutes can be felled in a single
    blow from this tiny package."

Get Part A. Get Part B.

The Spinal Tapper

[​IMG] [​IMG]

"The Spinal Tapper is the perfect assassin's weapon. It is stealthy, with a minuscule energy signature and
    the ability to deploy its vicious blade in less than 0.375 microseconds. Its uncanny ability remain hidden is
    due to its cruel ability to siphon energy off its victim; It starts off low in energy, but the deeper the blade
    penetrates, the more lifeforce it drains and the more damage it will cause to sate its destructive hunger.
    The target never knows what hit it until it is too late."

Get Part A. Get Part B.

The MegaMace

[​IMG][​IMG]

MegaMace Part A. MegaMace Part B. The MegaFlail.

The MegaBlade

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MegaBlade Part A. MegaBlade Part B.

For larger pictures, you can check out the flickr gallery or join my facebook page!

Attached Files:

2. WuLongTi

WuLongTi Cyber Ninja Web Developer

News Credits:
    Dude, the first one in your "upcoming designs" pic looks amazing, I love it!

Now if there were only some way to make these modular so that you could mix and match compontents or even combine parts to make an uber weapon of some sort...

Still though, awesome designs as always ;) 

3. Kilowog

Kilowog ORA ORA ORA

Ebay:
    Kickass

4. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I actually agree here. It would be neat to see something like the energon weapons that could be combined into crazy things.

5. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks KW!

This is an interesting point of view, and I see the merits in having a modular system. I chose not to go down the modular route though for several reasons.

The first and biggest reason is because I want them to resemble the source material as closely as possible. Adding features like modularity will affect the aesthetics of the models and turn them into something else. I mean, look at the Arms Micron designs. They are cool, but they have 5mm ports all over the place. Imagine how would that look on the models shown above?

Anyway, I am not a fan of how the AMicrons combine to form their super weapons. Impressive size yes, but visually they are a mess.

The last reason is more of an observation of how people have been placing orders for Shapeways stuff, especially after having my Secession weapons available for awhile. People tend to order one off items to suit a character they are customizing, and few will go out of the way to get a whole bunch to swap parts with (even though I did add modularity as a feature in the Secession stuff). I can only assume it's because Shapeways is too expensive to justify getting multiple pieces.

Let's imagine another scenario: I did design these weapons to be modular, so they are not 100% accurate and they have ports all over the place. I can predict I'll be getting more comments on how they are not accurate instead.

But in the end it all boils down to the design. Who knows? Maybe if I'm up for it I can design crazy modular variants in the future, and people can pick and choose.

6. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm fine with slavish accuracy.

7. citoria

citoria Lord Dragon Master

You work is always amazing and inspiring!

8. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Added a bunch of new stuff!

The Gyroguillotine
    [​IMG]

The MegaBludgeon
    [​IMG]

And...

The Megablade
    [​IMG]

9. ThatOddGuy

ThatOddGuy That Odd Guy's title

......So. DAMN. Accurate...

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    What about a crows-beak / horseman's pick?

Something like this, but on a slightly smaller handle

Horseman's pick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a weapon that was specialized in punching through plate armor (like a cybertronian would be covered in), but one that hasn't really seen a whole lot of attention in Transformers outside of Straxus/Darkmount. It also would fit really well with characters who are supposed to have a mining background.

I know you're not big with modularity, but what about having some sort of universal end on the bottom of a couple weapons, so that they could be converted to polearms by attaching another piece?

The ones you're putting out look great already though! I'd love to see some pics of the real-world results!

11. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ooh I like it. A pick! And I see your point about Darkmount; there really isn't a lot of TFs with creative melee weapons apart from the standard archetypes. Thanks for bringing that up. There are also entire classes of spears and polearms that aren't really utilised, apart from Knockout and Terradive, etc.

Regarding modularity, actually the models shown here do have more opportunities to be swapped around than my previous models like the Megamace. Most of the handles end in a 3mm peg which the pommels attach to. It's easy to imagine customizing your own once the library of designs have expanded enough. And polearms, yes.

Thanks for the contribution. I'll try to see if I can work one (pick) out!

12. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Another sort of weapon variant that would make sense in terms of application (but that doesn't get a lot of attention) would be some of the thicker swords, like the falchion/dao

Falchion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or even something like a cleaver or a machete. These swords were made so that more weight could be put behind the cutting blade, especially towards the end of the blade, which would hack through bone or light armor, and dent thicker armor (possibly breaking bones underneath). So while they could still cut and parry to a degree like a sword (although they were much heavier, and thus, slower), they functioned somewhat more closely to an axe.

This differed from other, curved blades like the scimitar, cutlass, or even katana, in that those thinner, curved blades allowed for longer contact between blade and target during a single strike (as the curved blade followed the path of the slashing/cutting movement of the arm), but didn't put any additional force behind the strike in regards to armor. Your scimitar actually comes closer to this than would normally be seen in a scimitar, but the thickness (especially on the end) would be even more pronounced in what I'm talking about.

13. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Alrights....it has been a long wait but I've gotten those models in! I guess I can let the photos speak for themselves...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

At this time I'm keeping myself busy fixing some fit issues and adding 'energy lines', but I'm slowly going to put up more links to Shapeways on the first post. In fact, the Anlace and Scimitar are already available!

I'm really, really happy with how they all turned out and I think version 2.0 will be much better! Stay tuned!

14. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    The spiked club turned out absolutely fantastically.

15. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks Aernaroth! Glad you liked the club; I was kinda freaked out at how thin and fragile the spikes were. I was spending some time reinforcing them today.

I never really got to thank you for your advice on weaponry in the previous post. It's very grounded in the theory of realistic weaponry and I like that. Not sure how well I can convey that sort of logic into these fictional and ultimately fantastical designs, but it's nice to have some call back to realism.

EDIT: Goodness, your little birdie is making me dizzy LOL

16. Kilowog

Kilowog ORA ORA ORA

Ebay:
    Badass

any plans for the shields for the final battle as well?

17. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Yeah, little sirocco there will have that affect on people.

The great thing about a lot of weapons is that form and function are often very well-linked, and we've had them so long that they've developed their own cultural context and connotations. Guns and firearms are like this too, to an extent, but I don't think they've been around long enough to develop the same kind of place in artistic, graphic, and cinematic "language". The other good thing about melee weapons as symbolism/characterization compared to other weapons is that what the transformers used is, by and large, very similar to human equivalents, as opposed to their crazy futuristic robot guns (the aesthetics of which can still be used to develop a character, however).

Like anything else with a character, it's just something you think through, and the more you read and watch, the more you sort of get exposed to the "language". Optimus' use of an axe, traditionally, is interesting, given that his type of character would normally be associated with the sword (which carries the connotations of nobility, leadership, and skill). Megatron's use of the morningstar/flail, by comparison, shows his brutal power and vicious malice (and interestingly enough, "the morningstar" is a term used to refer to the Devil in some sources). It's all about how the weapon looks and how it would be used, and tying that back to the characterization. Rapiers and bows for light, lithe strikers, clubs for big hulking bruisers, spears and lances for direct, precise chargers, etc. etc. etc.

You're already pretty good at this kind of thing, just look at how you choose mostly straight lines and "clean" points for the Autobot weapons, and curved, jagged tips and brutal spikes for the Decepticon weapons.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  18. Slipstreamer 8

Slipstreamer 8 Well-Known Member

Cool, my only gripe would be to make it smaller. Take it into consideration, Nice jobs!!

19. MoonBaseTom

MoonBaseTom Inventor of Mac'n Cheese

Ebay:
    those look fantastic, is that FUD or transparent detail?

20. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My reaction to seeing this update can best be summed by by a Dragonball Z Abridged clip. My reaction is Vegeta's dialog from 5:44 - 6:01 (sorry, I couldn't find a clip of just this part).
    TFS Abridged Parody Episode 10 Part 1 - YouTube

Anyway, these look fantastic and I must own them. Ariel, I am shaking my fist at you so hard right now that I have broken the sound barrier.