Our universe, in a bubble?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OmegaVPrime, Sep 30, 2008.

1. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    Scientists have a new theory on the distance in our universe, and this one is another doosie

Do We Live in a Giant Cosmic Bubble? - Yahoo! News

If the notion of dark energy sounds improbable, get ready for an even more outlandish suggestion.

Earth may be trapped in an abnormal bubble of space-time that is particularly void of matter. Scientists say this condition could account for the apparent acceleration of the universe's expansion, for which dark energy currently is the leading explanation.

Dark energy is the name given to the hypothetical force that could be drawing all the stuff in the universe outward at an ever-increasing rate. Current thinking is that 74 percent of the universe could be made up of this exotic dark energy, with another 21 percent being dark matter, and normal matter comprising the remaining 5 percent.

Until now, there has been no good way to choose between dark energy or the void explanation, but a new study outlines a potential test of the bubble scenario.

If we were in an unusually sparse area of the universe, then things could look farther away than they really are and there would be no need to rely on dark energy as an explanation for certain astronomical observations.

"If we lived in a very large under-density, then the space-time itself wouldn't be accelerating," said researcher Timothy Clifton of Oxford University in England. "It would just be that the observations, if interpreted in the usual way, would look like they were."

Scientists first detected the acceleration by noting that distant supernovae seemed to be moving away from us faster than they should be. One type of supernova (called Type Ia) is a useful distance indicator, because the explosions always have the same intrinsic brightness. Since light gets dimmer the farther it travels, that means that when the supernovae appear faint to us, they are far away, and when they appear bright, they are closer in.

But if we happened to be in a portion of the universe with less matter in it than normal, then the space-time around us would be different than it is outside, because matter warps space-time. Light travelling from supernovae outside our bubble would appear dimmer, because the light would diverge more than we would expect once it got inside our void.

One problem with the void idea, though, is that it negates a principle that has reined in astronomy for more than 450 years: namely, that our place in the universe isn't special. When Nicholas Copernicus argued that it made much more sense for the Earth to be revolving around the sun than vice versa, it revolutionized science. Since then, most theories have to pass the Copernican test. If they require our planet to be unique, or our position to be exalted, the ideas often seem unlikely.

"This idea that we live in a void would really be a statement that we live in a special place," Clifton told SPACE.com. "The regular cosmological model is based on the idea that where we live is a typical place in the universe. This would be a contradiction to the Copernican principle."

Clifton, along with Oxford researchers Pedro G. Ferreira and Kate Land, say that in coming years we may be able to distinguish between dark energy and the void. They point to the upcoming Joint Dark Energy Mission, planned by NASA and the U.S. Department of Energy to launch in 2014 or 2015. The satellite aims to measure the expansion of the universe precisely by observing about 2,300 supernovae.

The scientists suggest that by looking at a large number of supernovae in a certain region of the universe, they should be able to tell whether the objects are really accelerating away, or if their light is merely being distorted in a void.

The new study will be detailed in an upcoming issue of the journal Physical Review Letters.

2. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Interesting theory. I can't wait to see how it pans out. Being in a bubble that makes things appear farther away than they are could be yet another way to explain seeing stars that are far away if the universe is only 6000 years old as YEC suggest. They may not be all that far away...

3. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:
    It's a hard to read, because A: we are kosher to the fact that the universe was created from a gasious hot white dot B: it would only makes sense that the reason why we see dim light is because the star is further away and, C: because if we were in some sort of a warped sphere, that would mean that the universe is either 1:comeing back together or 2: only moves away because it is propelling itself and that in no way did we originate from a central point but just "were there"

4. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

With the concept of time dilation.... matter moving at high speeds slows it's rate of decay (time). Now living in a Universe that is slowing down.. is it really a suprise that things apear to be speeding up? I personally don't even buy into the very idea of time as we currently think of it. Time is not some tangible thing..... it was and still is only a means of measuring movement. Space is mearly a timeless void which we move through. Sorry no traveling back through time. My argument has always been... where in the universe is that information stored? Every tiny detail of the past would have to either be recorded or every fraction would have to be frozen like a strip of film... which also would need to be stored some where. But, something new occured to me....

Light is the memory of the universe. One day (far far from now) we will be able to see other worlds with great clarity, much like we can view ourselves today. Look at the surface of a world directly seeing what happend there millions of years ago. We will even travel to the farthest distances of our universe to look back at our own home world. Use computers with so much raw power that light information can be put back together so we can see around corners.... go into buildings.... see the finest details of our lives in the past. Some future man, who knew what to look for... could see me sitting here typing and read what I write as I write it a million years from now.

5. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    And scientists make fun of science fiction or even humanities research because it makes too many assumptions. Yeah, proof plz.

6. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

This only proves to me that we only know what we do because of our vantage point, and our mediocre attempts at technology. Hubble has lost communication, and we cannot fix it any time soon, and that high speed particle accelerator also broke down.

It is not inconceivable that we are actually infants, when it comes to science.

7. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

[​IMG]

8. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Still?
    DN

9. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

Where's DC? Surely he has electricity by now.

10. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Weeping over Hubble. :( 

11. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

We'll see how this one pans out, this is basically just a suggestion as to how we can test this theory, the results will tell us if they are right or not.

Also, I love how dark matter and dark energy are always explained as exotic and mysterious, especially when you consider it's just basically names given to things that right now only exist inside mathematical formulas.

Don't remind me. :cry 

12. the_riesen

the_riesen INDY COLTS SBXLI-Champs TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    not really trying to sound dumb....

but what happens if someone bursts our bubble?

13. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

:banghead:  :banghead: 

14. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Dude takes every chance he can.

This science seems to have too much eyeballkid, not enough Dark_Convoy.

15. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Witchcraft! You people with your formulas. Witchcraft, I say!

16. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

I am guessing that was not a compliment. We should talk about this idea in 20 years, by then another 10 wacky ideas will have been theorized. What ever happened to String Theory, or 9 (possibly more) dimensions? Dark matter, Dark energy, this, that, and the other.

We don't have the technology to prove any of this. I don't want to go into politics, because I am aware that conversation about that here is secluded, but until governments can actually combine money to produce the tech to prove or disprove this kind of stuff, it is just intellectual, mathematical...stuff. The large majority of the population does not, will not, and usually doesn't really care about any of this. I do, however.

That is sad, but true.

17. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

They should beam a laser out in space and see if it bends

18. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

[​IMG]

19. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:
    Yea, unfourtanetly if you can't strap it to tank or erase a populated citie they really don't want anything to do with it, it doesn't matter if it could make us economical as long as it keeps us with bipartisan government, and keeps us the head power of the world, then the government will fund it hands down... And you know what? I'm damn proud I didn't vote because I wouldn't have either Repo or demo, I WANT RON PAUL!!!! Sorry for being off topic to myself :lol 

Well there is anti-matter, which for years was just science fiction, but we proved it...

Maybe this is just another way of scientists not being able to brake the barier of travel between worlds...

20. Ripclaw

Ripclaw DementedDino1

uh

i think that

uh

**explodes from information overload**