Our family dog has been diagnosed with cancer.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doug, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He wasn't really my dog, but I've grown close to him for the past seven years. He is always happy to see me everytime I go over to my parents house.

His name is Bogie and he is a little Maltese. My parents got him when he was four months old back in 2000. Today he is 12 yrs-old.

Several weeks ago, he started to urinate inside the house and he always been housebroken. He would wake you up to let you know that he needs to go outside.

My mother took him to the vet last Saturday. She noticed his urine is an orange color, meaning it is blood.

I went with my mother today to take him back to the vet and they took x-rays and did a ultra-sound. The vet said he has a tumor in his bladder and there is not much they can do. I asked the vet how long, he said Bogie might have six months to a year.

The vet told us we can take him up to Auburn, AL to have surgery, but he did'nt recommend it since he is old.

My dad passed away nearly seven months ago and now it feels like losing another member of the family. But I know there is people out there who would tell you it is only a dog and it is no big deal. But I remember when Metroplex posted last month about his puppy had died.

For the past 11 years, my parents have spent alot of money on that dog, because they felt he is part of the family. I remember when I lost my dog 16 years ago and then I had another one 6 years later that I got out and I could'nt find her.

2. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I love the shit out of my dog, so I won't be saying "it's just a dog." There are people close to me that I'd be far less upset about losing than my pup.

Growing up, one of our family dogs got stomach cancer at three years old. Three vets it took to figure out what was wrong. Long story short, we had the choice of letting him ride it out (with pain meds) or putting him to sleep. All he wanted to do was lay by us, so we tried to keep him comfortable and just pet him/hung out with him until the end. It's a shitty situation, but all you can really do is be there for the little guy/girl that most likely loved you more unconditionally than almost anyone.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Ugh, that's terrible. Just two years ago our Rotweiler, Bear, died of cancer. I totally feel you, man. I'm so sorry.

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    damn, sorry to hear about your beloved dog. I love th my cats and you will never hear me diss someone about mourning a pets passing.

5. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have lost almost all of my grandparents, good uncles and aunts, and close friends. But the death that hurt me the most was the death of the best friend that I have ever had, my dog, Yin. He died almost two decades ago and I still miss him. Don't ever let anyone tell you that "it is just a dog". I'm really sorry that you have to deal with this so soon after loosing your father. Hopefully, the joy that they brought you while they were with you can help you deal with the pain of loosing them.

6. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I tell people bullshit when they say "its just a dog" My dog is one of my kids and last year when he went into kidney failure, I didnt even bat an eye putting him in the vet ICU and making sure he pulled thru.

7. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Dang!! Doug, sadly some years, when it rains it pours. I'm so sorry to hear about this happening to your family dog and friend. Many of us have been there dude and we know how you feel.

Yeah, there will be those who say it's just a dog, or a pet, but when you've have the loyal love of an animal, your constant companion for years, and they're sick or dying..it breaks your heart and hurts to the soul. If it's your decision to just try to let him enjoy his remaining time, maybe you guys can keep him going as long as he's not in pain or suffering too much and maybe he'll just quietly go to sleep on his own one day. Please keep us updated on his condition.

8. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We are letting him to enjoy his last remaining days. Right now he stills acts like his same old self by barking and going outside. He still has a appetite. I went over to my parents house today to see him.

The vet yesterday gave my mother some medication and it is suppose to shrink the tumors. But it is only temporary. We have been upset all day yesterday and lastnight.

9. Baird

Baird bug-stomper

Sorry to hear that.

10. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    My dog had cancer, then we had it removed. I told the groomer and he cried, because he found the lump when he was cutting her hair. :lol  I was like our family didn't even care that much and he was all in tears.

11. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Sorry to hwar that man, I have a Maltese, they are the cutest things.

12. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

I havent lost a pet but i lost my dad and my grandfather but i know whats its like losing a pet, my sister has maltese thats 13 years old and he is getting old but we have him since 97 and he was like 1 month old when he arrived at our house and he really felt like part of the family and on the day of my sisters wedding as my sister says goodbye to him he knew she was leaving by him seeing everybody around her. I am so sorry to hear about your dog enjoy the happy moments you have with him.

13. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear the bad news. We lost a beloved cat last year to lymphoma and it was really hard on my wife and I. He was only 4 years old too.

My sincerest condolences.

14. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd drive up to Auburn and see what they could do for you. My biggest issue would be quality of life and if he could return to a somewhat normal lifestyle, I'd do it in a Heartbeat if I was in your shoes.

I love my dog Sonny and I would never let him be taken away from me prematurely :2c: .

15. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The vet mentioned that to my mother about taking him up to Auburn, but he did'nt recommend it since he is old. My mother said she would do it if he was younger, but she doesn't want to put him through all that.

I remember when I worked at Walmart, there was an employee came to work very upset about her dog. But another employee who I used to be friends with at that time, could'nt believe how anybody can be upset over a dog. This former friend never cared about animals. She was nothing but a white trash slut.

16. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

If a person can't be upset (or feel a certain unease) about something bad happening to an animal, how can you expect that person to be upset about bad things happening to a human? It is easier to have an empathic connection with another human being than with an animal. Complete disregard or indifference is a sure sign that you can't expect sympathy or help from a person that has such an attitude to someone else's misfortune.

17. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'm very sorry to not only hear about your beloved dog's illness, but also about the loss of your father. If I may, I'd like to offer belated condolences.
    Pets are very often more than pets. They are family.

18. Barricade24

Barricade24 Decepticop Artist

News Credits:
    A shame. My cat was diagonsed with ear cancer our oldest cat been around as long as I have. But he may or may not have been cured we are still not sure.

19. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    I know how you're feeling, OP. My Cat is very ill, she's going to be put down next week in all probability, and I've known her all my life. :( 

It's heartbreaking, isn't it?

20. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You're right. She had no sympathy toward anything and anybody. Most at Walmart blamed her for what happened to me. It was so bad for her that she asked to be transfered to another shift.

But back on the subject, I called my mother this afternoon to find out how he is doing and she was worried for he was acting different. I went over there to see him and so far he is acting okay.