Ouch - Transformers" sequel would be by far the worst-reviewed $400M movie ever.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Motor_Master, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    The perfect ROTF article

This article has something for everyone, the haters and the lovers:

`Transformers': Worst-reviewed $400 million hit?

My favorite line:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  2. mentat_emre

mentat_emre Well-Known Member

its like review of the reviews. Most rational article about ROTF so far.

3. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    Scary isn't it :D 

4. mentat_emre

mentat_emre Well-Known Member

yea, looks like whole movie critics gone mad.

5. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

That article is far too rational and well-thought-out for the likes of this forum. It burns my eyes!

6. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    i.... wait... what... so much sense....
    :confused2  NYAH!

7. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That was... pretty interesting. Will definately be one of the ones to see it again.

jD001

8. Reaper2006

Reaper2006 Elite Sniper

Best Article EVAR!!

9. y2jversion1

y2jversion1 Rent this space today!

Ebay:
    'Transformers' sequel could become worst-reviewed $400 million blockbuster ever - Yahoo! Canada News

By David Germain, The Associated Press

ADVERTISEMENT

LOS ANGELES - After just five days, "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" is halfway to $400 million domestically, a box-office milestone only eight other movies have reached. If it climbs that high, the "Transformers" sequel would be by far the worst-reviewed movie ever to make the $400 million club.

Critics and mainstream crowds often disagree, but "Revenge of the Fallen" sets a new standard for the gulf between what reviewers and mass audiences like.

The movie pulled in $201.2 million since opening Wednesday, the second-best result for a movie in its first five days, just behind "The Dark Knight" with $203.8 million. Even after its whopping $60.6 million opening day, "Revenge of the Fallen" was packing theatres, a sign that unlike critics, who mostly hated the movie, audiences felt they were getting their money's worth and were giving the flick good word of mouth.

Critics "forget what the goal of the movie was. The goal of the movie is to entertain and have fun," said Rob Moore, vice chairman of Paramount, which is distributing "Transformers" for DreamWorks. "What the audience tells us is, 'We couldn't be more entertained and having more fun.' They kind of roll their eyes at the critics and say, 'You have no idea what you're talking about."'

According to Paramount's exit polls, 91 per cent of the audience thought the sequel was as good as or better than the first "Transformers," which received far better reviews.

Most of Hollywood's all-time biggest hits are accompanied by either good or at least passable reviews, and some can be among the year's most-acclaimed, such as this year's "Up" and "Star Trek" and last year's "The Dark Knight," WALL-E" and "Iron Man.""

Not so for the new "Transformers." On Rottentomatoes.com, a website that compiles critics' opinions, the sequel had only 38 positive reviews out of 187, a lowly 20 per cent rating usually reserved for box-office duds.

Many critics who liked the movie had reservations, praising the movie's visual effects and relentless action but generally advising audiences to check their brains at the door.

The critical drubbing was a new low for "Transformers" director Michael Bay, never a favourite among professional movie reviewers. But he has long been a favourite among fans, scoring hits with the first "Transformers" and such flicks as "Armageddon," Pearl Harbor," Bad Boys II" and "The Rock."

Like blockbuster maestro Jerry Bruckheimer, who produced many of Bay's movies, the director aims to please audiences, not critics.

"He really had blinders on when it comes to what he believed the picture needs to be, and then he executed it," said Brad Grey, Paramount chairman and chief executive officer. "He's a director who is the definition of blockbuster at this point. His grosses speak for themselves."

Bay's previous worst score on Rottentomatoes was 23 per cent for "Bad Boys II," followed by 25 per cent for "Pearl Harbor." Even his commercial flop "The Island" rated well above the "Transformers" sequel, with 40 per cent positive reviews.

Of the eight movies that have grossed more than $400 million domestically, four scored 90 per cent or higher on Rottentomatoes: "The Dark Knight," Spider-Man," E.T. the Extra-terrestrial" and "Star Wars." Two others, "Shrek 2" and "Titanic," topped 80 per cent.

The other two had mixed reviews but still came in far higher than "Revenge of the Fallen," with "Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace" scoring 63 per cent and "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" rating 53 per cent.

This year's biggest hits so far had terrific scores, "Up" with 97 per cent and "Star Trek" with 95 per cent. Both movies have grossed about $250 million, a number the "Transformers" sequel will soar past by next weekend.

On Metacritic.com, a site that assigns ratings of zero to 100 based on movie reviews, "Revenge of the Fallen" received a 36, a lowly score barely above those given to recent box-office duds "Year One" and "Land of the Lost."

Bay has said that if there is a third "Transformers" movie, he would like to come back for it. But his next project could be far quieter than the explosions and action for which he is known.

"I've got to take a little time off from the robot world," Bay said before the movie opened. "I've got to do something totally different. It's enough of this for right now. I keep saying I'm going to do my small movie. I've got one I want to do."

10. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    great article! just goes to show that the masses don't really care what critics think.
    i won't lie though, i know and know of people who aren't going to see ROTF in theatres because of the reviews, which is like theft if you ask me.

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Most large grossing action films are poorly reviewed.

12. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Critics never ever have a Plan of good movies. If a critic thinks one film being bad, you know it is good. They are somehow like women, telling the opposite of what they mean, in a fashion of telling the opposite of reality.

Either you give a fuck on critics or you take their words for reversal.

13. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    :lol  Well done.

14. Reaper2006

Reaper2006 Elite Sniper

this was posted already

15. Born 2B Alive!

Born 2B Alive! Director Of Entertainment

News Credits:
    Ebay:

I found this article that I think best describes the whole Critics vs. Audience thing when it comes to blockbusters..... Anyway here is the link.

16. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    just goes to show you critics don't always know what the masses will like

17. Born 2B Alive!

Born 2B Alive! Director Of Entertainment

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry..... I see that someone else has posted this already... Lock the thread please.

18. Omega_Sentinel

Omega_Sentinel Well-Known Member

Mudflap and Skids would probably enjoy this article if they could read.

19. Milk & Cheese

Milk & Cheese Banned

This may be a trend we don't want to continue. Oh well we shall see.

20. Baccala1976

Baccala1976 Well-Known Member

I like this. This makes sense