Ouch, my aching meniscus!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BrokenSVT, Jul 9, 2009.

1. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

So a couple of months ago I was carrying some heavy weight and turned with it. Turns out knees really ARE a hinge joint vs. a ball-and-socket type. Those crazy Anatomists were right all along. That sucker didn't rotate at all and something went pop!

Flash forward to now. Mr. tough guy thought it would mend itself and that some Motrin therapy would do a body good. Slapped a brace on it for all this time...and it got worse. And worse. And then the other knee started hurting due to my favoring it.

I go to the Orthopedic Tuesday, but my doctor already assures me what I'll find out. Looks like a torn Meniscus, the cartilage that essentially IS the knee joint. It's the padding that keeps most of my 180ish pounds from grinding the bottom of my femur and the tops of my tibia and fibula into bonemeal.

Has anyone experienced this type of injury? Sounds like a pretty common sports- and work-related injury. Any success stories? Any surgery stories? Anyone wanna be the voice of doom? Anything?

I've seen some great diagnoses here too, you crazy doctors. Let's hear some!

2. Transquito

Transquito Reach For The Light TFW2005 Supporter

Havent heard of that before, but ouch that must hurt dude :thumbdown 

3. BrokenSVT

Hurts a bit, yes, but the worst thing is how it...erm...behaves? The knee doesn't exactly bend the same as before. It kinda...swivels around the joint, I suppose is the best way to describe it. And it pops. And grinds. Sometimes when it pops as I bend/straighten it, it makes me nauseous. Fun times :( 

4. Transquito

Transquito Reach For The Light TFW2005 Supporter

That sounds a little freaky ... and nasty :( 
    Hope it gets better soon! It's never fun being injured ... *hits my left shoulder*

5. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I know what you're going through right now.

I had something similar happen to me a few years back. It was winter and snowing. Me and my dad were going to our country house for a visit. Going through 1 and 1/2 feet of snow for 2 kilometers is tiring work, so I stopped to take a breather. After half a minute of standing in one place I wanted to start walking again, but as I turned to pick up the rope from the sleigh, my left knee went pop, pain hit my brain, I saw lighting in my eyes and felt sick. I couldn't hold balance so just collapsed in the snow. After 5 minutes I could stand up, but it was hell. The damn snow bellow my boots melted from my body heat, but it froze back real quick, which basicly glued my left boot.

Moral of the story is - moving 190lbs of weight sideways and swiveling your body makes your imobile knees go pop, so be careful when going on snowing trips.

6. BrokenSVT

Did it mend itself, or did your require medical help?

7. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Sadly, it will probably require a minor operation. They should be able to fix it using a scope, so no major scars. It will probably never be 100% again. I've seen the surgery done, was an OR nurse for a bit. Not hard to repair.

8. Hikaru IchijoSL

Hikaru IchijoSL ヤマト2202

I tore my meniscus last august not fun luckily for me it was a minor tear and did not need surgery (Could not do much for 4 weeks). Apparently my family has a history of doing this without needing surgery my Father and Uncle tore theirs. Just took a lot of time and money to find out what was wrong. My knee seems to be fine now.

9. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I too have knee problems so I feel your pain.

10. Razorclaw

I didn't go to the doctor. It hurt like hell for the first hour or so, and then it gradualy subsided. It still hurts though, when I do similar moves to the one that busted my knee in the first place.

11. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

VOICE OF DOOM you say?

ok... your gonna feeling pain for the next few months unlike any you felt before. then your gonna have to work that leg out just to ease the pain snd because youre gonna lose strength in your leg as it recovers. but the pain well never be gone. it be tremendous but youll almost always feel a discomfort.

medicines can help it feel better. you will be given painkillers. DO NOT to get addicted to them . i almost did. its been 4 months since i took them.

even stuff like advil or tylenol. be careful. working out will make it easier for your leg.

one more thing. try not to get too friendly with the nurses.

12. Razorclaw

Yeah, such injuries are what makes athletes, dancers and ballerinas quit their vocation and go find other field of work.

13. BrokenSVT

I had a "high ankle sprain(yep, that's the "technical" tem:rolleyes2 )" years ago, and this rivals that in the pain department. I was told then that the type of sprain I had put athletes out of work. Good thing I'm not an athlete eh? I'd be eating out of soup kitchens.

14. cromagnus

cromagnus B-boy rumble

I tore my left meniscus skateboarding 6 years ago and had orthroscopic surgery done. There was a huge flap just going back and forth. After it was removed I felt an immense relief and actually healed almost 100%. I still skate and breakdance. You may lose some cushioning but its not that bad. I was so happy just to be able to straighten my knee again. No worries, just don't wait on it.

15. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Whaddaya nuts? That's the best part, if you can!

16. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

some might take it the wrong way and if your bedridden and have to go leak.... they might use something...

didledidledee

17. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Been there, done that.

Trust me, they've seen and done worse...also done that...ugh.

18. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Done my knees in years ago when I used to be a carpet fitter.

19. BrokenSVT

Went to the doc today. He suspicions a meniscus injury(duh!) and sent me for an MRI this coming Monday, then a followup visit with him Tuesday.