Other than what everyone else wants: What I really want from 3rd parties:

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by primetime77, Feb 17, 2012.

1. primetime77

primetime77 Well-Known Member

I want a 3rd party company to finally step and make a non transformers based transforming toy(s) with their own fiction to go along with it. i mean we all love TF for the toys AND the fiction (TV shows comics whatever). With all the ways to publish media now i'd LOVE to be sucked into a new universe of characters that had some need for transforming robots or mecha. I'll never tire of transformers (particularly stuff based on G1 characters) but this is an open invitation to suck me in 3rd parties! note it might be worth it to do the character designs and fiction FIRST. lol.

Anyone else ache for this to happen? I feel the potential is tehre but no one is cashing in.

2. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    I think it'd be cool. At the very least, if they made their own Transformers characters that could be integrated into our existing collections.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Nope, not at 3rd Party prices... The characters I'm dying to get is what makes it somewhat justifiable to drop $100 on a damn deluxe or voyager fig.

• Like Like x 3
  4. seali_me

seali_me Dakilang Mandirigma

Bring back Alternators and Binaltechs... I'd support that.

5. Roger Semerad

Roger Semerad TFW2005 Supporter

This is something I've wanted for a while. The fiction itself isn't that important to me, unless it's really good, but original transforming toys needs to happen from someone. When you look at what transforming toys are out there, other than transformers themselves, the only ones that are good are from Bandai Japan's Soul of Chogokin line, and the Macross Valkyries from Bandai and Yamato. Of those two only the Macross stuff from Bandai is even based on something recent. Everything else is based on shows from the 80's and early 90's.

I love transforming toys and really want to see a design that doesn't base itself on an old show. I still love the nostalgia based toys, I just want to see them go beyond that.

6. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    the concept of FP Heartmaster wasnt met with rave reviews though

7. Roger Semerad

Yeah if that doesn't end up selling well despite a lukewarm reception, any chance of original transforming toys dies with it. And that thing is even loosely based on the Transformers universe. I hope there are more fans of transforming toys in general out there than it seems. But I'm not holding my breath.

8. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    I think IF it could happen, it would need to do things in reverse-a media of Transforming characters who give way to toys, as i feel they would need to have a fanbase first.

9. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it would be cool, but I probably wouldn't buy it.
    I collect toys/characters I have a connection with from my childhood. Even Animated was too far removed from that. I displayed my figures for a while, but they were the first to be boxed up when I needed space.
    There are exceptions (some SH Figuarts Kamen Riders), but a non-transformers based transforming toy would have to be pretty damn mind-blowing for me to buy it.

10. Roger Semerad

That is the most realistic way for it to happen. Most people seem to collect toys to have a physical piece of something they love, be it movies, games, shows, or comics. I just don't see an original fiction containing transforming somethings catching fire any time soon.

Seeing the kind of stuff coming out of fringe desingers ( like ???????? / Transforming Sculptures - HENGE : Top Page and •ÏŒ`ƒoƒJˆê‘ã￾IƒWƒUƒCƒgƒCƒY ) and scratch builders really makes me wish 3rd party desingers( who have a bit more freedom to do what they want) would put out an oringinal concept every once and a while.

11. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Those are pretty cool!

The main problem though with a new transformable series is that anything worth paying attention to will feel like a rip off, and anything that tries to make it clear they ARENT Transformers could come off as distant or be totally unwatchable.

12. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Ugh no thanks, I collect for nostalgia purposes only so if it potentially takes resources away from something such as MP Shockwave that we are never gonna get officially then please god no.

13. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    No way. FP tried to do it with Heartmaster being it's own Transformers based character and even FP (the almighty of 3rd party groups) had to change that plan, now he is some upgrade of a TF we know.

I think it is safe to say that most Transformers fans are as much a fan of the characters in the lore than the brand. Having a random cool changebot is not the same as a Transformer. Add 3rd party prices to all this and that group will most likely go bust if they market to us.

As someone mentioned, you will need some form of media to create a fanbase before you can create a figure that sells. I think it was Guido(?) that created the Macro Transformers ages ago when the fandom was young and before he became a TF paid artist. He had a comic that garnished a following and the dude built figures of everything character he designed. His characters were based on upgraded TFs we know and I think new characters. I think something like that would sell. But I think I am an average fan and no matter how cool a figure may be if there is no character behind it I don't care for it. On the other hand, once a character is added to a figure/character, no matter how crap the character is, I must buy it. I collect on screen characters only.....and drift lol

14. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    ah Drift, the everpresent exception. Would you accept a Rung as well? lol. Oh, and who is Heartmaster now?

15. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Only in Japan can you really get unique transforming characters and have them sell to some degree. Most robot shows in Japan started that way. The problem is that we in America don't have that Mecha Anime background that Japan has. There, every otaku dreams of drawing and doing garage kits of their "original character" robots, but you just don't have that kind of culture here in America. I'd get any transforming robot character, whether it had existing fiction or not, but I'm one of the minority.

16. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Heartmaster New Images of Fansproject Heart Master - Transformers News - TFW2005

He is one of the next FP releases. Supposedly originally not any Tf we know but now they changed to to someone we know...but I don't know who. I think the rumour is an upgraded CityCommander.

My turn. Who is Rung?

17. DrillBIT

DrillBIT Silver Wolf

News Credits:
    There isn't much of a change in plan since the beginning, really. :) 

18. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Rung is the new guy in the MTMTE comics

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wreck n rule

Wreck n rule Well-Known Member

Here is my two cents, if you'll have it:

Rather than start out with something completely new right off the bat, maybe they should treat it like a spin-off. Similar to how FP does their comics, so they are TF based but not violating trademarks, but carve out a new space for themselves. Make refernces to some mind of 'Great War', like Beast Wars, but not showcase it. Focus on a small cast of characters both good and bad, and over time give them toys.

In this way, we get original characters and plot, but the company still has a way to tie in to the TF fanbase and make profit.

20. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    So transformable robots that could be considered Transformers even though technically they arent? Hmm, cool idea